No announcement yet.

Law of Murphy at Play for This Daily Driver BNR32

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirrors look great! and well the whole car inspires me to keep my R32 and keep on keeping on with it, so thanks haha. Also the ebrake handle was a pretty sweet idea! I can appreciate someone who is able to think outside the box for there are no such thing as problems, only solutions!

Keep the posts coming man!

Comment

• Originally posted by caribougtr View Post
      Mirrors look great! and well the whole car inspires me to keep my R32 and keep on keeping on with it, so thanks haha. Also the ebrake handle was a pretty sweet idea! I can appreciate someone who is able to think outside the box for there are no such thing as problems, only solutions!

Keep the posts coming man!
      Hey thanks a lot! Comments like that mean a lot to me, especially from someone with a super bad ass car like yourself. I wish my car was even half as complete as yours is. I'm not super mechanically inclined, but I definitely like to inject little bits of creative ingenuity and personality like when I was too cheap to buy a reservoir sock, and instead bought some wool socks and some buttons to make my own sock monkey sock for the power steering tank lol

or instead of repainting the faded red paint on my tow hook, I bought skull and cross bones hockey tape and wrapped it instead haha

Small update: Bought a brand new Nismo trunk bar from Brathwaite. Based on this review, http://www.r33gt-r.com/2013/07/trunk...oticeable.html, the trunk bar combined with my Whiteline swaybars should enhance handling performance quite substantially, and that has me super excited.

I installed the aluminum brake and clutch pedals the other day (big PITA) but still need to install the Carbing dead pedal and awaiting the gas pedal in the mail.

In true Murphy fashion, I tried to start the car yesterday so I could bring it to the auto club and change my steering rack boot/swaybars. The engine cranked over, sputtered and wouldn't fire up, and now the car doesn't start This is a deja vu of 2 springs ago when the same thing happened and I chased the problem for 2-3 months. So now I have an ignitor coming to me in the mail, and I'm going to change out the spark plugs just like last time, and hopefully the issue is solved.

Since I had some free time on my hands now, I installed the HKS upgraded actuators onto the Nismo turbos. The instructions were in Japanese but luckily the chart with the adjustment settings were in Arabic numerals. I have the actuators set to 146mm (~0.9 bar)

Look how crooked the old one is!
      Last edited by louis110; 03-24-2015, 02:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by louis110 View Post
        Hey thanks a lot! Comments like that mean a lot to me, especially from someone with a super bad ass car like yourself. I wish my car was even half as complete as yours is. I'm not super mechanically inclined, but I definitely like to inject little bits of creative ingenuity and personality like when I was too cheap to buy a reservoir sock, and instead bought some wool socks and some buttons to make my own sock monkey sock for the power steering tank lol

or instead of repainting the faded red paint on my tow hook, I bought skull and cross bones hockey tape and wrapped it instead haha

Small update: Bought a brand new Nismo trunk bar from Brathwaite. Based on this review, http://www.r33gt-r.com/2013/07/trunk...oticeable.html, the trunk bar combined with my Whiteline swaybars should enhance handling performance quite substantially, and that has me super excited.

I installed the aluminum brake and clutch pedals the other day (big PITA) but still need to install the Carbing dead pedal and awaiting the gas pedal in the mail.

In true Murphy fashion, I tried to start the car yesterday so I could bring it to the auto club and change my steering rack boot/swaybars. The engine cranked over, sputtered and wouldn't fire up, and now the car doesn't start This is a deja vu of 2 springs ago when the same thing happened and I chased the problem for 2-3 months. So now I have an ignitor coming to me in the mail, and I'm going to change out the spark plugs just like last time, and hopefully the issue is solved.

Since I had some free time on my hands now, I installed the HKS upgraded actuators onto the Nismo turbos. The instructions were in Japanese but luckily the chart with the adjustment settings were in Arabic numerals. I have the actuators set to 146mm (~0.9 bar)

Look how crooked the old one is!
        HAHA nice thanks! ya decided to keep the car and watching you spend all that money made me miss it... so I ordered a Full Race ETS-PRO today to fill the la void!

And funny I showed my gf your car and she commented on the sock

Keep the posts coming and good luck with the no start!

Comment

• Originally posted by caribougtr View Post
          HAHA nice thanks! ya decided to keep the car and watching you spend all that money made me miss it... so I ordered a Full Race ETS-PRO today to fill the la void!

And funny I showed my gf your car and she commented on the sock

Keep the posts coming and good luck with the no start!
          Atta boy! That's what I like to hear! I'm planning on getting a Midori G box next year myself.

Comment

• Is there contact info for that artist drawing your car? I have been looking for something like that when mine is done. Also loving the progress on your car, keep the updates coming.
            “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

• Originally posted by caliber676 View Post
              Is there contact info for that artist drawing your car? I have been looking for something like that when mine is done. Also loving the progress on your car, keep the updates coming.
              Here's his website:
              http://www.dirtynailsbloodyknuckles.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by louis110 View Post

Got my new headlight in from 4Xtoys. Taken apart, painted, resealed, and switched out with the cracked one.

?
                How'd you paint the headlights after you took the covers off? Any pictures? How'd you mask it, what you used etc? High temp paint or..? Love how clean the car is, esp. that engine bay. Wow.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZeroTo100 View Post
                  How'd you paint the headlights after you took the covers off? Any pictures? How'd you mask it, what you used etc? High temp paint or..? Love how clean the car is, esp. that engine bay. Wow.
                  The chromed section is snapped into the assembly from the back so you just tug on it carefully to get it off. Once off sand down all the chrome and paint with the highest temp paint you can get. No masking needed. There's a separate chrome ring that goes around the projector. It doesn't do anything so I took it out as well.

Comment

• Almost ready for 2015

I've been working quite a bit to get the car ready for this season.

Replaced a torn steering rack boot, but as I was changing it I noticed that the inner CV boot was torn as well. ARGH!

Up next, I tackled the swaybars. Whiteline provides rear droplinks with the rear bar. Fairly straight forward job, but it took a little bit of work to wiggle the rear bar between the exhaust and subframe. Have both front and rear set to the stiffest setting. Steering feel is a lot heavier now (in a good way), and I've noticed that the load is more evenly distributed to the coilovers in corners now.

HKS IC pipes from Feast. The hot pipe between the turbo collector and the intercooler was designed too short. I extended the couplers as far as I could but they still barely joined the two sides of the pipe. Massive boost leak ensued, so I had that one pipe back to stock. Painted them crinkle black, washed off those gross ass looking couplers, and wrapped them in bad ass tape.

Installed the pipes along with the Synapse DV's (set to pull mode), and boost response is now so much better.

Also put in the Nissan aluminum pedal set, along with the Carbing dead pedal. The bushing that gets inserted into the gas pedal to attach it to the rod had too large of an inner diameter for a secure fit. I ended up wrapping the rod with electrical tape to pad it a bit. Worked like a charm.

I dropped off my front end (bumper, lip, grill, N1 vents) at the bodyshop 2 months ago. I told them, "use Nissan 732 paintcode, I'd like the bumper and lip clear bra'd, and take your time to do it right".

So before I left for vacation at the beginning of April, I called them and told them that if they needed to get a hold of me just e-mail me. "OK, it should be done for when you get back," they tell me. I email them/call them upon my return to tell them I'm picking up the following weekend. That's when they say to me, "so we couldn't find 732 in our system, but we have 532 so we used that. Also, we can't 3M the pieces until they're mounted on the car". I almost lost my $hit. Well they ended up repainting everything in 732 in time for me to pick up (overall decent job but a couple of runs in hard to see places, and broken tabs on my grill), and I have to head down Friday for my 3M appointment. Anyway after a long day of driving (3 hours to Edmonton + 3 hours in Edmonton + 3 hours back to Cold Lake + 5 hours for work) I immediately got to work when I got home and started mounting my Rocket Dancer flap to my rear wing. The next day I put all the body work back on, oil change, injector swap, taped up the front end, and detailed the car.

All that's left is to put my grill back in, and take care of my 3M. The car intermittently runs funny though, probably electrical related. It'll be running fine, then all of a sudden drop in power, the accelerator pedal doesn't do anything, car won't rev past 1500 rpm, can only go as fast as 20kph, idles at 150rpm but won't stall, and 5 minutes later the car starts running normal again. Very frustrating, and I have no idea what it is.

Comment

• Nismo trunk bar installed. Bolts into existing points in the trunk, you just need to cut holes in the carpet. This bar actually helped the rigidity in the rear end a lot. It takes more effort to get the rear end to come around in corners but it's a good solid feeling that makes the chassis feel more connected when entering the turn. Combined with the swaybars, the car handles like an absolute champ now. Also noticed that the rear end feels more stable when going over bumps and potholes too.

So this past weekend was the 780Tuners opener meet, which is one of the larger car events in Edmonton. I lined up my 3M appointment for Friday at 9:30 am and took the day off so I could make the 3 hour drive down to Ed from Cold Lake. The night before my car started stalling and blowing black smoke. Pulled over and it took me a while before I discovered the I/C hot pipe had popped off behind the bumper. There was no way to get to the pipe without taking the bumper off, so a friend and I sealed the pipe as best as we could with duct tape (imagine trying to fit your hands through the bumper vents to do this). Limped the car to the base auto club and worked until 3am to get the car all sorted. Went home, packed a bag, cut my hair, grabbed a couple hours of sleep and drove down. The car was still running funny on the way down but was fixed when I replaced spark plug #1.

The guy did an awesome job on the 3M. He started with a clean sheet and had to custom cut everything by hand which took him 4 hours (usually takes 30-45 min for pre-cut sheet). Got a great deal on it too so I'm super happy with how it turned out.

Pics from the meet.

Comment

• Update time!

Brake pads have been swapped out for Hawk HPS plus. Didn't take pics.

This I did take pics of! My rad hose had a pin hole the day before a car show and had sprayed coolant all over the engine bay. I swapped it with a generic 300ZX hose that my friend had laying around. Problem was the oem plastic was was starting to break up and had a couple of small cracks. After a breakdown from the rad hose popping off on the way home, a $360 tow, and a call to Right Drive Parts I was back on the road.

Look at this build up on the back of the old rad!

Washed out the coolant tank, and had to trim the OEM shroud to fit the new Mishi rad

Oil pressure was reading a bit low on occasion. Since I was driving 7 hours to calgary for HIN and illmotion I didn't want to chance it and swapped out the oil pressure sender.

Polished and show ready

Comment

• i love your car!! it looks so clean. i totally want that Nismo trunk bar now! keep up the updates, i always look forward to them.

Comment

• Haven't been doing much work on the car since last update but I did want to share some goodies I won on Yahoo Jp auctions that Adam Truesdale had been helping me with.

First I found a set of Nismo rear suspension links for a good price. A bit of an impulse buy so I'm not sure if I'm actually going to use the upper arm and traction rods since they're not adjustable.

Really excited about this item I won. Old school Cusco twin turbo/IC pipe and some maf delete intake pipes.

I'm also trying to bid on a set of brand new Nismo engine mounts for cheap and this beautiful RSR equal length downpipe.

Comment

• Very nice work as always!
                              You're not going to believe the difference the equal length dp will make to the sound of the car. It's amazing!
                              With all the effort you're putting into getting the car to handle I suggest getting it corner balanced. Not doing so is almost like bolting on new turbos and not getting a tune.
                              Wrt sway bars I found heavy in the rear and light in the front worked best to reduce understeer. I'm still using my oem front bar with the Cusco rear.
                              Also I found setting the front camber to less than -2 degrees (-2.3 in my case) makes a huge difference. Not just in feel but seen in my lap times. I got a proper alignment done and changed little else wrt power or handling and took about 1/2 a second off of my best lap time. 1:15.3 to 1:14.8. That time is 1/10 behind a '12 Alpha 6 Black Edition GTR on R888s.
                              So now that you've done all of this great work to your car it's time to stop parking and get to a track! You'll never know how freakin good these cars can be until you do.

Comment

• Originally posted by bobbo View Post
                                Very nice work as always!
                                You're not going to believe the difference the equal length dp will make to the sound of the car. It's amazing!
                                With all the effort you're putting into getting the car to handle I suggest getting it corner balanced. Not doing so is almost like bolting on new turbos and not getting a tune.
                                Wrt sway bars I found heavy in the rear and light in the front worked best to reduce understeer. I'm still using my oem front bar with the Cusco rear.
                                Also I found setting the front camber to less than -2 degrees (-2.3 in my case) makes a huge difference. Not just in feel but seen in my lap times. I got a proper alignment done and changed little else wrt power or handling and took about 1/2 a second off of my best lap time. 1:15.3 to 1:14.8. That time is 1/10 behind a '12 Alpha 6 Black Edition GTR on R888s.
                                So now that you've done all of this great work to your car it's time to stop parking and get to a track! You'll never know how freakin good these cars can be until you do.
                                Great advice Rob. What kind of downpipe are you currently running? WRT corner balancing I'll have to see who in Alberta does that. Guys are more about engine here than they are about balance. I don't want to track the car until I do the turbos/tune and refresh the head. I should be focused on getting the rest of my turbo swap parts but deals on suspension bits keep coming up. Ideally I'd like to complete my suspension setup 2 years from now with these additional items:
                                Adjustable rear upper camber arms, Ikeya adjustable traction rods, Ikeya front tension rods, underfloor bracing, fender braces, roll center adapters, metal steering rack bushing, Nismo/Yamaha dampers, and the Do-Luck Tarzan G-Box.
                                Last edited by louis110; 09-28-2015, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X