My 1995 GTR project thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oakville View Post
    Yeah Ive never been a fan of JRPs pricing but they dont screw around when it comes to in-stock items and speedy ordering.

Did the kit come with that duct?
    yes it did come with a bunch of aluminum pieces that i figured out how to make into a duct no thanks to the lack of instructions

So back when i was pulling things apart to work on the motor , I figured id strip the cam covers of their old 15 year flakeing coatings and paint them. After some trial and error i finally settled on this stuff to do the job. I bought it in Walmart of all places but if you intend to do the same job please wear eye protection and some rubber gloves . I ended up with blistered hands and an eyebath attached to an eye for 10 minutes for NOT wearing protection.

This stuff acts so fast you can see the coating lift off the metal and it makes a cool crackling sound if you put your ear to it (and thats how i got in my eye )
    After 10 minutes i ended up with this -

and after another 10 minutes in my wash tank i ended up with this -

as you can see the aluminium castings are crap and need a good sanding to remove the imperfections. However after spending some time doing this i noticed that the more material i removed , the more imperfections came to the surface . So after 4 hours with a die grinder and a handfull of different grade buffing pads and polishes it transformed from this -

into this -

once the 3 main pieces were done after around 20 hours of labour , i threw them back on the head to se what it would look like , this was the result -

Last edited by cortexx; 04-25-2011, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Previous to the removal of the above peices , i was required to remove the energizer from the spark plug cover , when i finally pulled the plugs i noticed that the rear socket was in 2 pieces . This was the result of the last person that removed this pulling the plug out without pressing the tab to release it in effect breaking the plastic moulding. They had attempted to glue it back together with superglue and it didn't work too well.

I took a dremel with a fine wire wheel and spent about 15 minutes going crosseyed cleaning all the glue off and cleaned up the broken plastic edges so that they mated together properly .then i reglued it back together with 5 minute apoxy resin to make sure it wouldn't end up in the same state again. I think it looked as good as new after i was done

before the repair -

and after the repair -

Comment

Agreed Very nice write up. I like reading about people's misfortune and seeing the end result, shows you did it your self!

Did you have any problems getting the turbos out? Any snapped studs or cracked coolant lines? Still waiting to pull mine out, but Im scared to do it lol. Also the place its stored in isnt heated!

Loving the thread and cant wait too see more!

ps I wish I got to see the car while you were in London!

PSsss Beautiful picture in the calender!
        Last edited by bellis_GTR; 04-25-2011, 09:33 PM.
        Heart rate 160, I'm goin 260, RB26 run me past you in a jiffy

GT-R

O O SKYLINE O O

Comment

Thanks for the kind words i'm sure you get to see the car sometime as i plan to come to some of the meets etc.

Turbo removal :-

I have to admit I looked at all the crap the nissan engineers decided to stuff down the passenger side of the engine and though about paying rightdrive to do the work . I called Mike and Daryl and them gave me an amazing quote but I have always tried to work on my own projects becase of the satisfaction it brings knowing i did it myself. You also learn more about your platform by doing this than any website can teach you although I did follow alot of advice given on here and also an aussie skyline forum .

The Turbo removal job looked more daunting than it was , i raised the car on axle stands and wheel ramps to get comfortable work height and also make it easy to get underneath. I spent one evening removing all the junk from the turbos including the cracked flexi intake piece . Only 2 of the water pipe unions gave me a hard time so i carefully torched them and worked them loose. I have all the original water and oil lines in one piece incase i need to reuse them.

My friend Mike came aorund to make some room in the workshop beer fridge and in return volunteered to lie under the car and remove the y-pipe , which along with all the studs and nuts had been treated with antisieze. This made taking it all apart as easy as if it had just been assembled . Even the bolts on the y-pipe to cat came apart easily.

We followed a hint found on another skyline site and dropped the turbos about 3/4 inch off the flange and passed 1/4 inch extensions and uj's through the gap between the manifold flange and the turbo housing to remove the 2 hard to get at exhaust monifold nuts. Not one broken stud. I also read that you should undo the powersteering pump to facilitate removal of the manifold nuts but we did it easily without having to touch the pump at all.

Pulled the turbos out , yanked off the turbo oil drain tubes and dismantled the assemblies on thebench removing dump pipes etc and gave the turbos a good wsh in the tank . The turbos had no endfloat or side to side motion until we washed the oil of the the bearings , then there was some noticable play , to be expected though with no oil in the bearings.

Cleaned them up and sold them on kijiji for someone to rebuild.

Called daryl at right drive and have worked out a price on a set of tomei arms turbos with install kit including all stainless lines, gaskets . Everything to change the turbos and replace all fittings with new These will work well with my Tomei headers and dump pipes that i already have.

Comment

The removal of the turbos and associated parts was not a particulary hard job , I have to admit it was a little intimidating because i read so much negative info on the job. I do have years of experience working on small European cars though as a mechanic early on in life so in retrospect this was not a hard job.

At this point i plugged the charcoal cannister lines using rubber nipples from Canadian tire and removed it from the radiator support. I also plugged the line to the fuel tank. In theory this shouldnt need to be open as the car has a vented fuel tank cap , but if it produces strange results when being driven i'll review this mod.

The rubber pipes and other fittings were not really in a satisfactory condition for return to the car so Daryl kindly hooked me up with a trust/Greddy suction kit and a couple of airinx filters. Should work well with the tomei turbos and exhaust components.

I also contacted fireball coatings and took the tomei pipes up to them for ceramic coating , after chatting to the guys there we decided on their ceramic XMC coating on the insides of the pipes and regular ceramic coating on the outside. The tomei kit came with a set of thermal bandage wrap that i hate due to a past failed wrapping job and a melted radiator fan .

3 coats on the inside and 2 coats on the outside will reduce outside temps by as much as 70% and keep the heat in the gases causing an increase in exhaust velocity of around 8-10% which is great for turbo spool . I'l post pics of this stuff when i get the chance. The coating looks amazing.

check out firebals website - http://www.fireballcoatings.com/inde...tpage&Itemid=1

I drilled a hole in my greddy y pipe and migged the bung into it for the wideband sensor and had them coat this too . so everything fromt he header to the cat is ceramic coated (not including the turbo casings). Should also keep more heat in the cat which hopefully helps the car pass emissions easier .

total cost for the coatings was around $600 for 2 headers , 2 dump pipes and a y pipe.
            Last edited by cortexx; 04-25-2011, 10:16 PM.

Comment

A recent edition to the Pron under the hood was a RIPS special oilcatch / washer fluid tank that came a few weeks ago - the original water bottle was dirty and ugly , it had to go. I also wanted a decent oil catch can that i can plumb back into the oil system so that i dont have to empty it. After a bit of internet reseach i decided that if it was good enough for the rips cars , it was good enough for mine. Not cheap but I only like to do a job once. here is the old bottle -

here is the new tank - notice holes for both original screen washer pumps

and if you look in the top right corner you can see the tank roughed in , i have the fittings and breather lines on order , decided to use russel fittings after getting perforated fingers trying to attach earls ends to stainless braided lines.

one more shot of the oil cooler setup everyone seems to like , you can also see wher i hid the hid ballasts (no pun intended )on the passenger side here .

Comment

nice! RIPS items are top notch!
                The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

They sell brand new OEM 33 HID headlight for $667 each. I've got alot of OEM stuff from them, you might want to check them out.
                  Biggest selection of Skyline CarbonFiber & FRP Aero in Canada. PM me.

Comment

wow good info c-unit thanks - thats not too bad of a price

Comment

Got the rest of my exhaust parts back today from fireball coatings , here are a few pics of the tomei headers , dumps and my refinished trust downpipe :-

The quality of the coating was really good , 3 coats inside XMC ceramic and 2 coats of regular ceramic on the outside.

this was the bunghole i welded in the greddy Ypipe for the wideband o2 Although it was supposed to be as close to the cat as possible , i thought it made more sence to position it where the gasses from both downpipes intersect and mix together .

this is the Greddy Y-pipe bead blasted insdie and outside then refinished , looks better than new

a shot of the inside of the pipe

the inside of the dump pipes , all interior inperfections were filled in by the coatings leaving an exceptionally smooth finish.

Last edited by cortexx; 04-28-2011, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Back to my nemisis , the HKS oil cooler kit .

When you install this equipment you will find you are required to pass the 2 braided lines through the openings that are behind the lights. Well let me tell you that -14 size braided line does not conform well to bends and you will have one hell of a job getting to go that way , and you certainly wont enjoy making the head light go back in place. I also compounded the problem with the RIPS washer , oil catch can that has a flush fit to the radiator support further reducing clearance.

I spent some time re-running the lines along the bottom of the rad support etc but eventually ended up removing a section of the rad support between the light fixture and the rad. This was dremmelled out and lined with a small piece of rubber cose cut along its length. The purpose of which was to stop the braided lines gradually cutting themselves on the edges of the support and to stop abaision of the paint which would cause the onset of rust , The cut edges were given 3 coats of tremclad black tractor paint to make sure that doesnt happen. it's the small jobs like this that take up the majority of the time in these projects i swear to god!

This is a clearer pic of the rips tank so you can see the close fitment to the rad support -

Comment

I originally had a mishimoto rad and twinfan shroud to install but the shroud didnt fit (hit the power steering pump) , long story short - shroud back to JRP along with a carbing catch can that i decided not to use and got credit for it all , kept the rad and had them give me a mishimoto 14" single fan , no shroud -

this will mount in roughly the same place as the original mechanical one , but i will be fabbing up my own aluminun shroud for it and ill post pics when its done.

The decision to use electrical fans instead of the mechanical one is because 1) the 15 year old mechanical fan has a bunch of cracks around the middle and 2) less stuff being driven by the pulleys = better engine response. Even the viscous coupled fan assemblies do add a certain amount of load directly reducing response and power .

Comment

Some more pics to keep the Pron crowd happy

this is the Dmax hood that i bought from charles - im fitting it soon so that i can properly adjust the original latch from underneath while all the front bumper crap is off the car , I figure it'll be alot easier tackled like this.

This is the Greddy suction kit that Daryl at right drive got in for me , cant wait to assemble and install it all

And here is a bunch of other assorted junk that will be installed over the next month of so - at the moment im waiting on a tomei arms turbo kit , a tomei fuel pump , some nismo parts and a set of HKS fuel injectors .

I also have a top secret rear diffuser, rear carbon wing , and a jun carbon lip lurking in my workshop somewhere , ill post pics when i install them

Comment

+1 Bump for a great thread, keep it comming. Shes a beauty

Comment

holy ******* parts Batman!!

btw where you get that triple gauge pod and where does it go?
                                RB25 Powered RWD GT-R

Owner for Turtle Garage Hicas Delete Systems

Comment

Working...
                                X