Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SERIOUS PROBLEM with my GTR!! HELP ANYONE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did you ever get this resolved?

Comment

Also check for oil resadue in your intake plumbing, Just a thing to note

Comment

check o2 sensors

Comment

most likely MAF's

I read this whole thread through and I think Stinky made a BooBoo, or he knows exactly how the Nissan programming will react (don't want to step on your toes man, but).

Any leak in a boosted, closed MAF system will cause a lean condition while under vacuum and a rich condition under boost.

While under vacuum the engine will be ingesting air from the MAF's as well as the air from the leak causing more air than fuel to be present in the combustion process. You should NOT be running pig rich if you have a simple leak.

Now, I am not completely familiar with how the factory Nissan programing will deal with a leak, however, there is now way the O2 information is being looked at if you are running so rich that you are spewing carbon globs out at idle and just off idle. Either that or the computer see's there is a problem with the MAF information and is just making the O2 readings locked at full rich to make sure you don't cook anything. I can't see that though as that is just as bad as running lean (cyl. washdown and contaminated oil). Programming I am familiar with will just revert back to a MAP based program (using the MAP and O2 sensors only to calculate fueling) and put you in limp mode untill you get it fixed (the car will still run fine though).

Without looking at the codes your just playing with yourself, ask the car, it will know what is wrong. The car runnig just fine with the MAF's unplugged is a clear sign that there is a problem somewhere in the MAF circuit (not nessisarily with the MAF's themselves).

Again, pull the codes. The proceedure is on here somewhere.

Jon.
          Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

just a shot in the dark but

if is blowing out black thats alot of unburnt fule so maybe the fule presure regulator took a dump

Comment

Update!

I thought i had posted that i had resolved the problem. As Stinky had recommended i took the bumper off and i found that one of my clamps on my intercooler piping came off and there was a massive boost leak. Took about 30 seconds to fix it and the car was purring once again!

thanks to everyone on GTRC for all the help!
              1991 BNR32 - SOLD (sigh...)

"Want pretty? Go order a Fairlady, want fast go grab a Skyline! "

Comment

Comment

I seem to be having a similar problem, I got my car today and drove it for a distance of about 180km's right before I took it in for the night I noticed there was no boost pressure and the blow off valve stopped hissing, the boost gauge will not go above 0. I did not hear anything when the boost pressure left, and my car seemed to run fine and did not have any idling issues, but I am very concerned that I may have blown a turbo. I did not drive it excessively hard but took it through a couple hard pulls through 2nd and 3rd. I am definitely hoping that it is a boost leak and will be searching tomorrow when daybreak arrives. Unfortunately my battery is also garbage and needs to be replaced (it never has the power to crank over the engine) so that makes testing more difficult.

I will try some of the suggestions I've read in the post, I am certainly no mechanic and am not familiar with the Skyline yet so it will be a little tricky (I have no manual) but I think I will start with removing my bumper because that seems like the #1 suggestion to success ratio.

Comment

i had the exact same thing happen to my GTR. word for word what you described. smoke and all. well my engine was filthy when i got the car so i hosed it down really good with the pressure washer and it turned out that water had gotten bellow the coil packs and thats what was causing this. we took the coils out, sucked the water out with a seringe (sp?), left the hood open with the garage heater blowing at it (the hood deflected warm air towards the engine) and when it was dry, put the coils back in, done. easy as that. cross your fingers and hope your in the same boat i was. i thought my turbos were done since it wouldnt make any pressure and it was making a weird grinding kinda noise but only when it would hit that RPM where the turbo's start doin there thing. sorry for the long essay...
                    WHEN MY TURBO'S GET SPOOLED, YOUR GONNA GET SCHOOLED
                    (OO)______(OO)
                    Originally posted by Snow
                    Japanese boys remind me of my Skyline

Comment

updating the status.. I haven't had the bumper off yet because I am still driving it to and from the shop.. but I replaced my battery and it now starts up no problem, I had the spark plugs replaced with NGK Iridiums and brought my car in for an Oil Change, but they didn't manage to get the oil filter off (I'll have to do it myself) they topped me back up with Mobil 1 10W30 synthetic no charge. I then found a massive fuel leak in the hose about 6 inches from the fuel pump.. replaced the hose today and still no boost pressure. So I'm still thinking that I need to remove the bumper and do a check. Can someone re-post the instructions of how to remove your front bumper and the location of the screws/bolts I will need to unfasten? I've now noticed that my oil pressure drops drastically while I'm off the pedal.. and my idle will sometimes drop when I am coming to a stop all the way to the point of stalling... is this another symptom of a boost leak?

Comment

Check everything, it's a gtr.

Comment

Alright.... news is... I blew my second turbo:hit_head:
                          I brought it into the shop after not finding any loose pipes or severed vacuum lines. They fixed it in a day and a half.. 500 bucks for a used stock turbo installed. It runs perfect!

Is that a good price for a used turbo?

Comment

Working...
                          X