Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SERIOUS PROBLEM with my GTR!! HELP ANYONE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SERIOUS PROBLEM with my GTR!! HELP ANYONE!

Ok well this sucks!! I was driving home tonight, everything was just fine. I pull into Tim Hortons, have a coffee. Start the car everything is okay. So i start driving and im hearing a weird sound everytime i step on the pedal, sounds like a boost leak as my car start boosting up then i hear a loud sucking noise (no its not my intakes, i know the difference). Anyway i keep cruising around then all of a sudden my car wont go over 5K rpm's. Oil pressure drops really quick and my defi's are beeping at me like crazy!! Then it started stuttering on me, and i could see black smoke coming out of the exhaust. I barely pulled it into the garage, its seriously having problems even at idle, feels like it will stall if i dont give it some gas. I had to keep the car at 2K just to make it home!!! Theres a lot of black smoke. I just got an oil change like a week ago, took the car to waterloo and back. THis morning it was perfectly okay, just now all of a sudden it craps out on me. HELP!! all mechanics are closed on sunday's. what are some basic things i can do, im not too savy with engines.
    1991 BNR32 - SOLD (sigh...)

"Want pretty? Go order a Fairlady, want fast go grab a Skyline! "

what kind of turbos u got on? they might be shot. check them out.

Comment

stock turbo's. I dont really drive it hard, ususally shift at around 3K or so. I was thinking it might be the turbos, but i still have some boost pressure, i mean it will go up to 0.5 bar but i noticed my BOV's are making any noise anymore. Im super worried, but i think it might be a boost leak or maybe something with the A/F ratio.

Comment

Check your afm connection and all your piping. Sounds like you may have a hose loose or your afm might not br plugged in all the way.
        I'm only half evil

Comment

My pfc freaked out at me one time just like this.

turns out one of my mafd was dead or on its way out

limped home by cranking the the maf tables in very odd ways

Comment

I'd check for vacuum leak too.
            10 Infiniti FX35
            09 Infiniti G37X coupe
            02 Subaru WRX....sold
            01 VW jetta 1.8T....sold
            90-00-08 BNR32
            92 NX2000...sold
            95 S14 LE...Sold

Comment

Check your MAF's... they were the original ones on the car... the turbos are fine if they were not driven hard.

- Toronto, Canada
              Parts. Cars. Service.
              GTR
              MKIV

Comment

My bro's GTR had the same symptoms. He has a hard piping kit and one of the couplers slipped off. Check your IC piping...
                Brand new GT2860R-5 turbos - Blitz SS intake cones - Tein Super Street Coilovers 16 way - New leather shift and E-brake boots - Silly GTR billet lighter plug - LED guages lights conversion
                - Greddy Turbo and Exhaust temp guages in A pillar pod - 3" Fujitsubo exhaust - 18" Gunmetal Tenzo wheels

- Royal Purple everything - New upper front suspension links - New belts - New tensioner and idelr pully - New timing belt - New N1 waterpump - New a/c vents

Comment

Originally posted by shaz10 View Post
                  stock turbo's. I dont really drive it hard, ususally shift at around 3K or so. I was thinking it might be the turbos, but i still have some boost pressure, i mean it will go up to 0.5 bar but i noticed my BOV's are making any noise anymore. Im super worried, but i think it might be a boost leak or maybe something with the A/F ratio.
                  No BOV sounds? Do you have the stock recircs or vent to atmospher? Either way if there's no more sound from them, maybe the have come lose and causing a leak, or like I said before there is probably a leak somewhere between the turbos and plenum..

A/F ratio will be scewed if there is a substantial leak, please correct me if I'm wrong on that one.
                  Brand new GT2860R-5 turbos - Blitz SS intake cones - Tein Super Street Coilovers 16 way - New leather shift and E-brake boots - Silly GTR billet lighter plug - LED guages lights conversion
                  - Greddy Turbo and Exhaust temp guages in A pillar pod - 3" Fujitsubo exhaust - 18" Gunmetal Tenzo wheels

- Royal Purple everything - New upper front suspension links - New belts - New tensioner and idelr pully - New timing belt - New N1 waterpump - New a/c vents

Comment

Will it start up now? To me it sounds like one of 2 things. The first one being an IC pipe loose or something internally gone wrong big time.
                    1987 Lamborghini Countach

Comment

Originally posted by sushtsi View Post
                      Will it start up now? To me it sounds like one of 2 things. The first one being an IC pipe loose or something internally gone wrong big time.
                      don't scare him too much yet... I would hope it's just messed up mafs, or lose pipe bands on some part of the intake. I serisouly hope it's the latter.. I wish you luck!

Was there any grinding or clunking noises when the trouble started?

If you heard a pop, that could be the sound of a coupler comming off, but doubtfull since you say you're still able to get about .5 bar out of her.

Comment

Are filter(s) clean. Check for air restrictions. If you are running a stock ecu and the mafs fail, safe mode rpm is 3000, so it is unlikely them. They could be dirty though. Check for vacuum leaks.
                        1989 Skyline GTR

"Want to Race? Save it for the track!"
                        www.victoriamotorsports.ca

Comment

Update:

Ok well still no change on the status of the car, but i am narrowing down my search on what i think the problem is. I took the MAF off and it looked okay to me but im no mechanic, does anyone have a pic or tell me what to look for on a bad MAF?

So the car will start and turnover, it runs for a second or two, sounds pretty okay, then it starts to stutter, i see a little smoke come out of the exhaust, the RPM's drop fast with the oil pressure, then it stalls unless i give it gas and keep the RPM's at like 2 or 3K. When doing that my turbo guage does move up to around .3 bar. The blow off's arent making noise "mind you i wasn't really revving hard as i was scared to try". I don't think its the turbo's, it really seems like an airflow problem. I was thinking ignition but it starts no problem, just won't stay running without revving. it REALLY doesn't like low rpm's...starts to cough and stutter then stall.

Comment

I would be looking for a major air leak still.

Comment

where, near the intercooler or elsewhere? I need some guidance, i don't know if the car will make it to the mechanic, but i would like to attempt a self fix.

Comment

Working...
                              X