REIMAX (Collar clearances, pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REIMAX (Collar clearances, pics)

Hello, I would like to share this information to all GTRC community! Recently i ordered some parts for the main RB26 problem - oil pump!
    I bought a couple of used oil pumps, order a crank collar (from Australia dealer) and a Reimax gearset directly from Japan!

Here is my findings:

Outside diameter of the N1 pump is ~77mm, the STD is ~81mm, they do looks like they made from very different materials! I do not have any dots on the used STD pump gears (like on the N1) that i bought from the guy on this forum! I would dream to have the gears already replaced with performance, but im still pretty shure they are stock!
    N1 Has 11 tooth and the STD has 12!

The collar from Australia, the guy is telling me that he copy the actual JUN collar and i do believe him. It looks like a very quality product, BUT it is very wobbly in the standard oil pump and even more wobbly in the REIMAX oil pump gearset. Here is some pics:

Side clearance on the standard pump is .013 one side and .010 on the other so ~.011 - .012, comes to a ~.006 each side. I think this is crazy large!

So if i measure clearance the same way on the Reimax gearset, this numbers are growin even higher! .018 and .016, so comes to a ~.008 each side. OMG.

Reimax gearset is ~81mm outside diameter but it similar to a profile of an N1 pump. I guess they make that to lower the cost of the product, the inside gear stays the same and the outside (internal gear) is slightly larger(STD) or smaller (N1) depending on the application! But Reimax gear looks very very nice!

And in the end i just would like to say what if Nissan production would rotate the oil pump gear half tooth ether way, than the common breaking point would be MUCH MUCH stronger. But this is just my personal opinion, and it would probably worked only on STD pump gear with 12 teeth! (in RED - common breaking point)

The next thing is im going to try is JDMS13RHD collar as he is promising me that his collar would be within MY spec of clearance, at least for my STD pump!

Here is the link to the thread where i did some thread quoting and some information about N1 and Stock oil pumps
    Here is the link from GTRUK, guy comparing Tomei, N1 and Reimax clearances on a brand NEW crank!
    Last edited by tryingtobebest; 04-06-2013, 10:47 PM.
    TTBB is a true ACN member

This is very interesting. I had a hard time hearing you on the phone from a bad connection. I am surprised that the ID on the std pump gear is smaller then the Reimax. Before, if I had to guess I would have thought they would be the same size. i have a hard time trying to understand all these inconsistencies in pump drives and pump gear sizing.

If you weer in Lethbridge Id love to get the reimax gears drawn up for a new design. your idea of lining up the flats to the thicker material area should be common sense. Its been something ive been telling people for years as well.

I would like to in the future to make up a couple new gear set designs based on the remix pump design.

1 design: would be a copy of the reimax gear set with the proper clearances to fit with OEM Nissan crank's with the flats aligned to the best location possible. (this way you wouldnt need a collar as long as your full drive).

2nd design: would be a copy of the reimax gears but use a 2JZ style gear drive and use a gear style collar to suite. That would be best as the material would be even thicker and less prone to damage and I beleive that would also help with the harmonics inside the pump itself.

I just need to get a set of reimax gears in my hands for a little bit to get everything drawn up and then get a set machined up. If I had some spare cash around Id get right on it. Unfortunately i dont.

My collars fit on the std pumps with .002 total. So assuming its going in the reimax gear set you might have approx .0015 for a total clearance of .003. Thats still a pretty tight fit but I couldnt say it will have that rattle that the std gears and pumps so obviously have.
    Last edited by jdms13rhd; 02-25-2011, 05:01 AM.
    ALLEN PETERSEN
    Number (604) 961-2449
    4XTOYS/ Lower Mainland Skyline Service and aftermarket RB parts.
    RB30`s for sale!

Comment

The N1 pump has the common failure point as the standard inner gear with an addition to an extra failure point on the outer gear. The N1 has a thinner area on the outer gear from the lower valley to the outside diameter compared to the stock gear set. Every image I have seen of a failed N1 unit was the outer gear.

Comment

Originally posted by ItzGenX View Post
        Every image I have seen of a failed N1 unit was the outer gear.
        really? I have a folder of images of N1 inner gear damage. Almost all pump failure starting with the inner gear cracking and resulting in the outer gear busting into pieces.
        I've had myself and many others have seen only a crack in the inner gear and pulled it apart before more damage was made.

I think there is more stress on the inner gear with the excessive clearances from the pump drive. I dont notice any clearance issues on the inner and outer pump gear itself.
        ALLEN PETERSEN
        Number (604) 961-2449
        4XTOYS/ Lower Mainland Skyline Service and aftermarket RB parts.
        RB30`s for sale!

Comment

Very good thread!

but now I'm wondering is the N1 really better than the oem?
          Last edited by cobrAA; 02-25-2011, 11:05 PM.
          Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

this is a wicked thread, What are the benefits of a 12 tooth vs a 11 tooth gear set, as well as the diameter change..... I would have to agree with shifting the engagement flat spot half a tooth over. I'm thinking it could be worthwhile to invest in reimax gear set, then make a new inner gear with the proper crank collar clearnaces and engagement area shifted. A new and signifigantly stronger gear set can be developed. I'll be watching this thread with great interest. Keep up the great work.
            Last edited by RhdHybrid; 02-25-2011, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Excellent thread! just 2 things

1) I used an N1 oil pump (brand new) and a brand new R34 Crank... found my clearance to by REALLY tight, basically it had to be press-fit on... are you able to get your hands on an R34 crank to measure?... Id also be curious to see the measurement of an R32 crank.

2) PM sent!
              The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

Originally posted by jdms13rhd View Post
                really? I have a folder of images of N1 inner gear damage. Almost all pump failure starting with the inner gear cracking and resulting in the outer gear busting into pieces.
                I've had myself and many others have seen only a crack in the inner gear and pulled it apart before more damage was made.

I think there is more stress on the inner gear with the excessive clearances from the pump drive. I dont notice any clearance issues on the inner and outer pump gear itself.
                I have to agree here with JDMS13, all of the wrecked pumps ive seen were from the internal gear damage!
                As I said somwhere, I have long oil pump drive crank, not shure R33 or R34 though! Ill do some measurments and post here as well, before installing a collar!

PS. having a hard time writing, broke my rirght arm yesterday!(

Comment

but if you already have the fixed crank why fitting a collar on top?
                  Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

beacuse the "fixed" crank still has too much clearance, it has a longer drive, but theres still too much play

^ thats what i gathered from reading this thread anyway

Comment

Originally posted by derk View Post
                      beacuse the "fixed" crank still has too much clearance, it has a longer drive, but theres still too much play

If this is true... There is no use upgrading to a R33 crank? Just have to fit collar?
                      03 lancer dead
                      68 gmc w/355 cid rice killer
                      05 chevy silverado L33
                      2010 crv Wife's ride
                      1987 Harley Softail custom

Comment

Originally posted by derk View Post

Exactly

I did a quick measurments of my crank and it looks to be exactly the same diameter as the collar from Australia!

Originally posted by GTRADDICT View Post
                        If this is true... There is no use upgrading to a R33 crank? Just have to fit collar?
                        Yes, this way you will know for shure and trust to your oil pump!!! But firstival we should find the collar to be within a specs!
                        Last edited by tryingtobebest; 02-27-2011, 09:24 PM.

Comment

are the internal gear and collar the same material? is there a reason an interference fit isn't used?
                          oh hai!

Comment

UPDATE #1

I received a collar from Allen (jdms13rhd) and all i can say is that im very very pleased and impressed with quality, craftmenship and clearances of the collar!
                            I also received second STD oil pump to doble verify all of the findings!

Here is the beginning, you can see Caliber676's oil pump (he said around 60k km) and GTRBrian's pump (He stated around 80k km was on his)

Here is the first pump (~60k km), as you can see .0015" and .0025", so arond 0.002" each side. Even though that Allen was promising ~.001 each side i think, by the feeling of collar going in and out of the pump inner gear, it almost feels like TOO LITTLE CLEARANCE!!! And when the collar is oing to be pressed on, its going to stretch a little, making the clearances even more tighter!)

Here is the Reimax set! As i was saying before the gear is larger than stock so, here is the specs on it: 0.007" and 0.009" which comes roughly around .008; much much better than my stock R33 cranck!

And in the end, here is another stock pump with ~80k km, as you can see clearances are very very tight! .002 and .0025" so ~ .002 each side which = very very good!

If you guys can see there is a clear image of the old short collar, the part of the drive where tche collar was not touching is like new, so i can say that my measurmens are practically identical to the new pumps!

In the end I would like to thank Allan for doing his research on this problem, ask him to use even more stronger metal in the feauture, if it is possible of course (in order to be bulletproof on international market) and recommend him to decrease inner diameter of the collar by .012 - .025". This, in my opinion will make collar a bit thicker and increase the thickness of the hard working flat spots of collar which make them a little bit stronger.
                            Thank you Allen

Watch for an update in this thread guys as im going to post some pics of my current crank, and the update after ill install the collar!
                            Last edited by tryingtobebest; 04-06-2013, 10:49 PM.

Comment

wow, thank you for doing this.

You've just improved the community. Lately, I've been missing this kind of information and maturity on this forum. The immature and useless questions every second thread were making me miss the good ole days. The information you provided with detail, coherency and passion will help many in the future.

Mods, please sticky!!

Comment

Working...
                              X