Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nelsonmxmarc 1993 GTSt Type-M Build / Tips-tricks for HCR32 (Skyleezy!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love carbon !!! yum yummm :P
    Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

• sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

• Haha love it! Love that camera.. Damn i need to jump on one of those for our track day..

Also reminds me, i need to clean my car.. lol
        Check out the GTST Projects page and keep up to date with my build!
        www.nelsonmx.wordpress.com
        Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/NelsonMX
        Any part inquiries can be forwarded to marc@nelsonmx.com

Comment

• nice numbers you got out of a stock turbo what are your AFRs like?

I remeber doing mid 11s on my dads car last year at WOT, but I didn't touch timing from stock map.

glad your back on the road
          Marc-André
          _________
          2.2L RB20 GTS-T
          ECU modification enabled - PM me for details

Comment

• Lowest peak AFR is 11.75, avg is around 12 steady through the band.

I can send you this tune if you're interested in trying it? Torque curve greatly improved in the low and mid range, something like 45 ft lbs.

I'm glad to be back on the road too! It was driving me nuts not being able to drive my car.. UGhhh oh well, lesson learned. New turbo will be in for next season along with a brand new polished/ported head.. hope to see 350 whp AKA, listen to my tranny blow to pieces.

Comment

• Just did these for Frankiman.

We'll hopefuly be becoming the official 3M installer for DI NOC here in the Montreal area in the next month, so for anyone interested in having anything carbon wrapped, let me know and we can work something out! I'm going to try for a 1 day turn around time including shipping so that people won't have to stay off the road long

Shoot me the part and ill name you a price along with the amount of hours in labour so you get an idea of how intensive the job is for particular parts.

Also, still have 5 1x1 Carbon din plates up for grabs and ONE Carbon fibre N1 hood lip which may be spoken for.. PM me
              Last edited by nelsonmxmarc; 08-25-2010, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• So i was at work today just finishing up when it hit me... I haven't had any time to work on my car since i've gotten my license back.. SOOO...

1. Finally got around to mounting my carbon fibre chibi spoiler .. Pics to come..

2. Ram air intake. An idea ive been plotting ever since last summer when i disassembled my freebie-scrapped r32. The passenger vent piping to the fan is the perfect candidate for a ram air system from the lower air dam on the front bumper.. sooo finally i got around to it..

Performance gains? Probably slim to none. My main criteria was to force cooler air into the induction system to cut down IAT's. High IAT's as we all know can hinder performance. Robyn at Almasi hosed down intake plenum on one run to show me the difference heat saturation has on HP numbers.. 10 hp gains were had - peaking at 285 hp. So this definitely peaked my interest... leading to my 3rd DIY for the day..

3. I pulled the rear window sprayer and routed it to my bumper rebar where miraculously there was a hole already in the proper location.
                The reason for placement HERE is simple; this is the return column of the FMIC. Now when i shoot water, it shoots directly at the very end of the FMIC where the air returns to the plenum helping cool that portion before returnign to the motor..

We'll see how it does on the track come sept 17(?). I plan to bring a cooler full of ice water that i'll use to refill every pit. I have the motor run on a continuous circuit, and by my calculations, the water in the wiper reservoir will last approx 20 min. Enough for 1 session
                Last edited by nelsonmxmarc; 08-30-2010, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• again, very nice custom stuff, its always fun to see someone bringing their ideas to life

to make that sprayer even more effective, make it spray parallel to the IC (turn it 90deg towards the camera)
                  that way the spray will be caught in the incoming air and still get sprayed on the IC,
                  but while its in the air, that water will cool down alot and be able to extract even more heat from the IC
                  sigpic

Comment

• Thanks man!

I'll give it a shot! I'd like to get an IAT gauge to really do justice here though. I'd love to be able to get some proper data..

Next is to cut the throttle body cold start circuit. Simply a small tract that runs coolant through the Throttle body and plenum to warm up temps in colder weather (keeps the tb from sticking closed and functioning properly).

Anyone know if there is a write up for this? the TB is easy, just where the plenum feeds coolant, 1 into 2. There must be a simple way to cut one of those out, or even tee them off..

Comment

• Wrapping intake piping with reflective heat wrap tape (doesn't cost much) can drop intake temps, even with stock intercooler. It's the intake piping that reheats the air from intercooler to engine and turbo to intercooler. Even putting divider (divert hot air from engine fan / radiator) or cold airbox around podfilter can drop intake temps alot when on dyno or idling in traffic (ok when car is moving, as has alot more air than on dyno with fan). Also could heat wrap the intake plenum with the tape (avoid where IACV is, as it needs the heat).

For example (RB20DET in Canada) -

My friend's skyline with a gt3076r and other goodies making 400 whp.
                      Last edited by Skym; 08-31-2010, 04:28 AM.
                      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

• I see.. Basically exhaust wrap? Might be worth a shot! I'll try to get my hands on some before our track day and see if there's a notable difference.

As far as IAT's, i forget if consult/nistune offer an IAT reference for the RB20 (BNR has IAT at plenum opening), or are there no probes for IAT's on the 20? As far as i can remember, there arent.. Would be nice to have one set up..

Comment

• I noticed ages ago someone tried it (exhaust wrap) on stock intake piping with stock SMIC and engine stopped pinging, made that much difference. But exhaust wrap can't reflect the heat away from intakepiping, so wouldn't be as good as heat shield tape, heat shield mats, etc that's used on racecars like Gibson Group-A R32GTR, Gibson Group-A GTS-R, etc on intakepiping.

Gibson Group-A R32GTR engine bay -

Heat shield tape -

Breakdown? Meltdown? 404 error? Try visiting our home page, www.heatshieldproducts.com

Where to buy in Canada -

Breakdown? Meltdown? 404 error? Try visiting our home page, www.heatshieldproducts.com

Also can wrap fuel hoses, etc to keep heat away from fuel.

RB20DET stock ECU doesn't have a IAT sensor. Would need a stock GTR ECU (join o2sensor x2, AFM x2 signals on intercept loom, so they read from one AFM, one o2 sensor) and load the RB20DET ECU maps / settings onto GTR ECU maps / settings, if you know what I mean. Basically use GTR image on Nistune board, but replace GTR ECU maps, table settings with RB20DET ECU maps, table settings (main, knock maps, idle tables, etc).
                          Last edited by Skym; 08-31-2010, 12:34 PM.
                          RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

• Lot of work to run a stock IAT.. Any A/M IAT probes / gauges available?

I actually have a roll of this reflective tape at work.. I'm just curious to understand the dynamics of heat saturation and reflective surface properties. I would assume a wrap, like header wrap, would provide more resilience to heat disapation from engine components? A reflective surface like this foil tape, i can only see being useful in the means of light absorbancy? Granted, i have used this tape with engine components before to deflect heat, but only based on the word of mouth of others saying that's what its primary use is.

Can anyone chime into why this is so?

The other issue is heat conservation. If you were to wrap the turbo-out to FMIC piping, this would then release less heat to atmosphere (in the engine) thus heating the IC more, making it less efficient? Could be wrong here ..

Edit; actually, depending on whats hotter; the temperature of air exiting the turbo vs. engine bay temps, would cause saturation on either end.. (Ie. if engine bay is hotter, will saturate IC piping, vs. turbo outlet to IC hotter (hotter air) saturates engine bay)
                            Last edited by nelsonmxmarc; 08-31-2010, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• maybe a water temperature gauge would work, since air and water are both fluids, it would work the same
                              but the lowest range water temp gauge starts at ~50deg celcius, which is very hot for IAT
                              when my car was on the dyno the other day, without a front bumper, Mitch made me realize how much work the IC was doing,
                              touched the inlet of the IC it felt barely hot, maybe 30~35deg
                              but the cold side was freezing, well under 15deg

about the heat wrap and tape;
                              you have to first understand that the transfer of thermal energy is done via two different ways

1. physical transfer matter to matter, when two matters are in contact, like coffee in a mug, the energy will always try to balance out, so the hotter coffee will transfer its heat to the cooler mug, same thing with and intercooler, the hot air inside the IC transfers its heat to the metal of the IC which transfers it to the outside air,
                              the higher the mass flow rate of air is, the quicker the transfer can occur

2. through radiation, simplest example is the sun, there is no matter in space but the sun still transfers its heat to earth,
                              when metal heats up, it radiates part of its thermal energy
                              imagine a glowing piece of steel, its so hot that it radiates light, at that temperature the wave length of the light emited is infra-red, which is partially visible to the naked eye, thats why we see the metal beeing red

basically, when using heat wrap, its to keep heat inside and avoid radiating neighboring parts
                              but when using reflective tape, its the exact opposite

trust me, i'm a doctor... of engineering.. in a couple years..
                              Last edited by frankiman; 08-31-2010, 04:35 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Awesome stuff, instead of water you can try alcohol.... maybe that will work better it has a lower latent heat then water does aka it will evaporate quicker and with it the heat will leave (its impossible to cool something, you can only remove heat or energy).

Anyways we will see what happens you shouldn't worry too much about cooling the intercooler, the biggest worry is heat soaking it. If you heat soak an intercooler you notice it hardcore. IAT is the right thing to watch, as you already know.

Comment

Working...
                                X