Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nelsonmxmarc 1993 GTSt Type-M Build / Tips-tricks for HCR32 (Skyleezy!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It wasn't 15degrees, it was more like 20ish+++ but yea if you touch both end-tanks you can see if your intercooler is really working. The hotter side of the intercooler should be arond 40-70degrees (even more on the track).

Anyways dont exaggerate its going to take more then an undergrad to make you an doctor of engineering , sorry for being an a-hole franki!!! You know your stuff pretty good regardless.

Last thing to comment on, in a cycle of any engine the largest difference in temperature between intake filter and exhaust tip gives the most power. You calculate power based on the temperature difference. So when you wrap/insulate your exhaust your keeping to heat in to system and therefore at the exhaust tip you'll have a hotter temperature. With this hotter temperature deltaT is larger aka power is larger. You also insulate your exhaust from other stuff but thats not what gives you power. Basically if your exhaust isn't wrapped then the engine has to always reheat that air and more work has to be preformed, energy is then lost in that processes, and you have less power. With all that side none of my exhaust stuff is wrapped, its a fire waiting to happen.
    Last edited by mitch32; 09-01-2010, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• Thanks for the information guys! Awesome write up; definitely cleared things up for me.

Heat transfer through infrared is something i completely forgot about in my new endeavour of psychology (good bye sciences..). That really clears up the reflective tape vs. wrap properties. And thanks Mitch for clearing up wrap properties on exhaust side. Totally makes sense as well.. Definitely something to look into.

I'll wrap the IC piping before the track day.. I'll wait to pull my DP for the exhaust side wrap though.. Not going through that again lol (quadruple turbo swap..)

As for alcohol, i contemplated it.. But the date calls for cooler temps, so i'm not THAT worried. Had it been late june, july, i would have probably chosen to go that route.. If i have any vodka left from the night before, i'll be using that

Anyways, continuing with my build, i finally got around to putting in Frankiman's rear GTR swaybar;

Obvious size difference..

I'm going to start by saying that, besides a larger turbo, and a tune, this is by far the most noticable modification anyone could make on a GTST. The route home from my work has a nice right hander into an S, then into a really well cambered right hander on an up ramp.. I could have sworn i was in someone elses car because this thing has never stuck so well to the road!

Very pleased with this.. And i'll be more so when i swap all my bushings this winter for poly's..

Thanks again Frank!
      Check out the GTST Projects page and keep up to date with my build!
      www.nelsonmx.wordpress.com
      Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/NelsonMX
      Any part inquiries can be forwarded to marc@nelsonmx.com

Comment

• Ultraride 2010 went down last sunday, the 12th. Probably one of my most enjoyably driving experiences to date..
        Myself, along with Frankiman, Mitch, Max, Tyler, Gabrielle, and another fellow members whos name has slipped my mind, tore up the roads to Tremblant from Laval in some interesting end of summer weather. The first half of the drive was mixed with sun and cloud and an air temp of about 20 celsius, giving us some decent grip on the twisty tremblant roads.

After sifting through my 250 some-odd photos, i realized, my car needs a serious face lift.

A member on the board gave me a great idea, which i thought to be quite cheesy at first but after doing it, i have to say i'm thoroughly impressed lol.

And at the same time, to match the rear spats, i painted the bottom valence of my rear bumper to match; as we know GTST and GTS bumpers have a black lower valence to match the black lowers on the rear quarter panels.

Along with all this, i decided to swap out my fuel filter which had incurred one winter and about 18,000 km, as well as clean my air filter, as my ram air intake that i designed is not debris/dirt filtering friendly.

I'll say this.. I couldn't believe the difference it made. I'm not sure whether it was due to a clean air filter (as it wasnt that dirty..), or my fuel filter was plugged up, but the car has a noticable gain in overall driveability. Much smoother, crisper throttle response - generally drives much nicer..

Comment

• looks good bud!
          The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

• Tires were dwelling...

I purchased my GTR rims with 225/50 16 General Super Steel 535's..

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Federal/SS535.htm

The tread is probably down to about an 1/8th of its original form and so i digress - they suck.

They're all over the place in the cold, in the wet, at temperature, above temperature. Ideally you'd want a tire that you can get away from spinning in 4th, but oh no, this thing is full of surprises..

Anyways, i figured since our track day is coming up (friday), i'd be needing some new shoes;

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 200 treadwear never looked soo good... And they'll probably be finished after a number of hard laps seeing as its supposed to be 20 and sunny .. Track temps should be great, and so should the grip, however
            Last edited by nelsonmxmarc; 09-15-2010, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• epic win marc.... nice rubbers.
              The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

• That's what she said!

Comment

• .... even used the exact same brand of homedepot trim.....c'mon

Comment

• sweeeeet Marc

these are the new K, should be much much better than the old compound RT-615

and they will be super fine, even after a hard day of lapping
                    i'm still driving on my Azenis from last year, drove 7000km with them and PLENTY of track time too, they can take alot of abuse

will they be mounted in time?
                    sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

• .... even used the exact same brand of homedepot trim.....c'mon
                      YESSS!! It's your car! For f's sake i've been looking everywhere for that thread to shoot to tyler to have a look. Finally, i decided to do it.. I'm not gonna lie, you're a genius; it looks damn good loll. And for peace of mind, i got mine at canadian tire, you're legitmately the first and only homedepot garden-edging front lip.

Thanks a ton for the great idea btw, i never would have imagined this would look good lol.

will they be mounted in time?
                      Tomorrow morning i have a friend that will do them asap.. Going to paint the rims matte black as well.. Pretty stoked.

Really, they've held up that well?? i've heard so many mixed things, but like you said, it could have been the older models that wore so quickly. I'm excited to feel these, over the bulky federals i've been running with for so long..

----------------------

working on track prep for Sanair this friday... First true track day with my personal vehicle, so i'm not cutting any corners to insure my car comes off the track in the same condition it was when it got on.

for starters; checking fluids. Not changing oil, as i've got about 2k on my previous oil change and i dont think its totally necessary..
                      -Changing tires to the new RT615's
                      -Gutting the interior; pass. seat, rear seats, trunk mats and sound system, carpetting and etc.
                      -Removing hood liner
                      -Mounting a fire extinguisher in place of the passenger seat
                      -Shimming the hood about half an inch to increase air flow over the motor

Going to bring my cooler packed with bags of ice and 4L jugs of water which ill leave trackside to refill my wiper reservoir which if you've kept up to date, sprays my intercooler on the hot side.

Tool box, gas can; the usual...

I'm mostly interested in playing with different tire pressures. Used to make a world of difference at the mx track depending on terrain etc, so we'll see how it goes with heat increase and ambient / track temp inc/dec.

At any rate, should be a good time!

Comment

• Oh and perhaps my brake ducting system will be complete tomorrow.. we'll see how time is!

Comment

• Alright i'm cheesed off.. Just wrote up a ton of info about how i'm enjoying the Azenis RT 615k's in the wet, but it erased..
                          SOOOOOOOO..

I'll just say for now, that they're incredible. Do not hydroplane and braking distance and feeling is accurate and confidence building. Smooth, steady and the stiff sidewalls give a really positive turn in, slow and at speed.

Flat spotted my previous tires;

Can't tell from the photo, but the remaining inside edge was still "existent", however it was completely scrubbed off here..
                          Would probably account for the terrible balancing.

Finished a small brake duct system.

Chopped the fender liner to accomodate more air flow. Used some garden edging since the angle was approximately where i wanted to guide air, and bolted it to the frame. No rubbing, etc. Air tested it and it works very well.. At static sag as you can see, the caliper is very low, but with the wheels on and the car on the ground, it directs air flow directly at the calipers. I'm happy about it, nothing fantastic but i may go with my original plan this winter when i have the time and patience.

Decided to paint my rims. Matte black, and lugs blue;

Looks great, i think it compliments the car much better than the OEM GTR colour.
                          I'll post better pics tomorrow.

Ride height is a lil wonky.. Zero gas, and zero interior. Right now all that's left is the passenger and driver seat.. Rear is gone, trunk is empty including carpet/wood etc. No sound system or wiring etc.. Anything to lighten the load! Passenger seat will come out at the track so i have something to chill on between sessions.

Should have some epic photos for you all tomorrow night ! Stay tuned.

Comment

• Oh man, I need to paint my stock rims black, it looks really good on a silver gts.

Sharp looking car for sure...
                            Last edited by quadracer111; 09-16-2010, 10:30 PM.
                            BNR32- Sold
                            1998 Evolution V

Comment

• If you're running the GTS wheels and you like the look, try and scope out some GTR oem's, you'll be much happier with the fitment.. and the 2 extra inches doesnt hurt either.. Oh, and they're about 1/4 of the weight LESS than the steel GTS wheels; GTR are forged, lighter and stronger.

I love the look of the GTR OEM's.. it's going to take some mighty sex wheels to get me to budge..

Comment

• those wheels look mad perfect now !
                                sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

Working...
                                X