Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nelsonmxmarc 1993 GTSt Type-M Build / Tips-tricks for HCR32 (Skyleezy!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^^ DD..

daily driver? no, not since you started taking so much shiit apart/off

daily driven? probly still
    sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

• yeah doesn't make sense. You've done more than what it should be for a daily driver. (ie rear seats and sound deadening)

Also, how are you going to fill the washer fluid? Can't really get a bottle in there LOL.

Comment

• What do you mean..? It's not my "daily" car, but I'm going to daily drive it.. Planning to hit up florida with it for 2 weeks this may too! And tail of the dragons near the end of the summer if I've got time.. But ya, I could drive something else in it's place, but I likely won't.. I did 30,000 km in 2 years ( 6 months ) of summer driving.. I make it as necessary as it needs to be to be comfortable, and drivable.
        Washer bottle filler sticks out enough to fill, filled it last night with no problems
        Check out the GTST Projects page and keep up to date with my build!
        www.nelsonmx.wordpress.com
        Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/NelsonMX
        Any part inquiries can be forwarded to marc@nelsonmx.com

Comment

• And frank, what justifies a daily vs non daily driver??
          My fathers looking to pick up a new GT3 RS.. Doesn't come with AC etc just the bare necessities; just what a car should be IMO ..
          I never use AC, I've used my backseat for 1 thing this whole time, I'm sure I'll make due.

Comment

• Removing rear seats and sound deadening doesn't make it any less of a daily driver IMO.
            If you can have no back seats or ac and still be perfectly comforfortable daily driving it... Then it's a good daily driver!

Comment

• ok let me clarify, it can be a daily driver, just not a good one, let me justify..
              since its your car, and you are willing to drive it in any "state", you will daily drive no matter what

imo, to be a "good" daily driver, the car has to pass the girlfriend test, and not your girlfriend particularly (cause she might not care anymore.. after a bit), but any girlfriend, like your girlfriend's girlfriends

girlfriend test;
              easy to get in/out of car
              comfortable seats
              good ride quality
              functioning ac/heater (cause the wind might mess her hair up)
              minimal road / wind /exhaust noise
              good quality sound system for her to play her Rihanna
              storage to put all the crap she needs for her "maintenance" and all the stuff she makes you buy
              enough room to drive her girlfriends around, from store to store

for instance, a stock EVO/STI is the best performace daily driver for those ^^ reasons
              its not because you daily drive a car thats it a ~good daily driver
              i have friends with all out track cars, beyond your car, that still daily drive them, but they don't consider their cars as really daily drivers

the margin is thin between a daily driven track car, and a trackable daily driver
              Last edited by frankiman; 12-13-2010, 12:21 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

• I agree, but Daily driver is open to a LOT of interpretation.. Like my motorcycle, i removed the rear seat availability simply for sheer weight reduction.. I had zero interest in hauling people around on the back, and such is the case with my car. If my gf doesn't like it, deal.

She loves the car, loves going for drives etc. Hates the 'no AC' business but like i told her, it's not her car, it's mine - i'll do with it wtv i want lol. It sounds harsh, but its reality; she's not driving it around 6 months at a time and i'm more than content the way it is..

Again; daily driver is a car built suited to the driver. It meets ALL of my needs and recommendations and surpasses them in some instances, so its suitable for me. Mike, you removed your windshield washer bottle, in any case i would choose the rear seats over that anytime in the case of sheer necessity.. I NEVER wash my windows with it, but its nice to have in the event of. If someone needs a lift, tough cheese, call a cab or find a way around it.. Slightly selfish, but im building my car the way I want because of the way I drive and deem it necessary..

I have an alternative "DAILY driver" equipped with AC and the works that i'm more than content with, its just the fact that if i were to go anywhere (save for downtown montreal, restaurant or bar) i would choose my skyline over the alternative in 99.9% of cases. Like i said, i did 30,000 km (15,000 km per 3 months) in the last 2 years of driving, and i only bought the car late July 09, lost my license this may, got it back in AUGUST, and managed to do another 15,000 km from august to nov.. I LOVE driving, i will literally just go on random 2-300 km road trips on a daily basis, thus why my car is catered to meet my every need, and is still my "daily driver"..

Anyways this is not a necessary discussion in my build thread and as i said, totally up in the air as to how you interpret it, so it's rather useless to argue what's Daily drivable.. I wouldn't even classify a 1990 civic a daily driver - it's prone to breaking down at any moment, you should be able to trust the car you're daily driving..

Comment

• Yeah all up to preference.

I rarely use the washer and did think about relocating it to the trunk but didn't bother because of the mess of wiring/hose routing to do for little gains.

Besides, my new hood won't have any nozzles to suit this new change.

I thought about removing rear seats at one point because I don't like giving more than one person a ride. I kept them in because it reduces road noise considerably for how little they weigh.

Comment

• marc,
                    are you still going to use your intercooler sprayer?
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by frankiman View Post
                      marc,
                      are you still going to use your intercooler sprayer?
                      Yea. The way it works is it's T'ed off at the junction for the front washer nozzles, the other length of hose goes to the rebar to spray the intercooler (which is now a GTR intercooler and probably unnecessary but wtv). So for track days, i'll just remove the T and put a straight line fitting in to run directly to the front spray, fill the bottle with water/alcohol and thats it!

I agree about the rear seats, but after our track day i didn't find it all that bad. Although i'm used to driving around with the windows down so the buffeting and wind noise tends to deaden any interior droning.

Comment

• ----------------------------------------

Couple updates;

Had my first shot at tig welding. Took care of smiling mcgee IC piping..

Voila.. TIG isn't very hard, or at least not as hard as people make it out to be.. And this was my first ever weld. I cant wait to have a go at my new plenum!!

Also, after speaking to Mike the other night (M13), he was telling me about removing the AC matrix located under the dash; he estimated about 5-7 lbs depending on the amount of crap stuffed in there after years of driving; he wasn't far off..

Here's a how-to for those of you who've deleted your AC!

1. Remove glove box and metal cross member supporting the glovebox

2. Locate the big white plastic box - ZEXEL Stamped.

3. Remove the holder screws (5 i think)

4. Pull it down and then from the top view, you can see the screws holding the box in one piece, remove these and pull it apart.

Tada;

Weight reduction. And it rids of the nasty smelling air you get when you pump the fan's (Air passes through this upon entry into the vehicle, then from there into the ducting system)

Edit; weight is in KG.. 5.11 lbs
                        Last edited by nelsonmxmarc; 12-16-2010, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• Yay for no more smiley face, nice job on that.
                          DEATHSQUAD AUTOMOTIVE STYLING
                          --------------------------------------------------

www.deathsquad.ca

Comment

• Nice work Marc! Im digging the ideas you and Mike a bouncing around. Im litterly going to delete this junk this weekend/ with finishing on my brake lines I hope. Also solid weld job, keep up the good work.
                            Traction is optional, so are zipties

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

• cool, the **** actually weighs 5lbs on its own.

damn your intake was actually fairly clean. I have at least 1-2lbs of wet bugs/dirt/**** on top of that.

Comment

• you working on the car this sunday marc?
                                can i come by to check it all out?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X