Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nelsonmxmarc 1993 GTSt Type-M Build / Tips-tricks for HCR32 (Skyleezy!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Mid-summer update!

I have driven 8700 km's since coming out of storage/rebuild. This includes a LOT of spirited driving, and I mean, A LOT. Also, 6 drives to and from Toronto (500 km each way), some, with only single stops and 40+ degree days.

Oil temps with the current setup never see over 150* F (180 w/o) on the highway. 180* (210 w/o) on the track, and 140* around town. Water temps are also very stable - still using the stock rad and rad fan.

The car has been absolutely perfect to date. No complaints, in fact I posted it for sale about a month ago in hopes I'd get my asking price. 3 days later, i was given an offer for my asking price but was reluctant to sell.. After this weekends track day at Mosport, i have to say i regret even attempting to sell it!

The Mosport DDT track event was incredible, and a great test for this car. The car out-performed the majority of its competitors, most of which were running full slicks and full-on track setups. Since i had only done one alignment and 0 track hours on this particular car, i had no idea how it'd handle, but i have to say.. DAMN. It gripped magnificently, held the corners flawlessly and truly pulled its own weight for the 4 hour lapping session. The reduction in weight, high tq numbers and sticky RT615k's (After a few warmup laps) really surprised me.

A few days earlier, i designed a brake duct system using some dryer ducting. It seemed to help in the 45* temps as i experienced no brake fade, even after 15-20 consecutive laps..

Overall great experience and a big thanks to Kevin from Touge.ca for shooting the invite on GTRC!

-----

Today i decided to swap plugs, since my car runs insanely rich, and long 5 hour drives at 12:1 AFR just means soot deposits for days.. Not to mention, it'd been about 10,000 km since i swapped plugs..

I also wanted to run a compression test to see how she's doing - 150-155 across the board.

All is good with skyleezy! A few more track events, lengthy drives south and cruises to come before winter.. Been a good summer!
    Check out the GTST Projects page and keep up to date with my build!
    www.nelsonmx.wordpress.com
    Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/NelsonMX
    Any part inquiries can be forwarded to marc@nelsonmx.com

Comment

• I have put on 53124+ 2000(before winter) = 53000 , currently at 67,394km leaving me with grand total of 12,270km since ive taken her out and 430KM was without a clutch eh mark ahahha

Comment

• 12,300 this summer?? haha holy crap that's insane. Where have you been going!? And yes, 430 without a clutch loll

Comment

• hey marc, you should come lapping @ St-Eustasche on monday nights, its awesome
          i went this monday, and lapped a full 20 minutes in a solid rainstorm, and lapped everyone once, exept for an STI
          sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

• haha amazing! How is that track in the wet? Your heavy car must be good in it lawlll

Lemme know the details for next week, i'll definitely come!

Comment

• Any new pics of the car, Nelson? I've managed to shave 200lbs off my car now, and I still have ABS and sun roof to get rid of as well. Just looking for some inspiration

- Matt

Comment

• I just went on a diet to drop the weight in my car. 60 pounds lighter then before. Great weight savings.
                Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

• Originally posted by nelsonmxmarc View Post
                  haha amazing! How is that track in the wet? Your heavy car must be good in it lawlll

Lemme know the details for next week, i'll definitely come!
                  yes even if my car is a "whale" at 1500kg, it surpassed everything in the wet, the dunlops Star Spec i'm running are absolutely great in the rain, the aero bits were doing their job
                  and i never went fast enough to feel understand, sometimes a bit sideways :P, but no understand, just that shows how potent my setup is

the track is good even in the wet, since the surface is brand new, not even a year old, it drains well, theres only 2 places where big accumulations occur

for next monday, you should go see the people at Perry Auto Laval, to get your membership for the ASELappingClub, and be at the track on monday before 5pm, because theres ALOT of people around 6pm, just drive all the way to the back where the pits are
                  its 20$/20min session, it includes the instructors and flagmen

we lap till its too dark, which means you can still get up to 3 sessions before sundown
                  Last edited by frankiman; 08-04-2011, 09:04 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• I posted a couple pics up here this morning;

Weight savings is key Car responds phenomenally with warm tires on the track, and being so light, response is always on tap.

Sounds good frank, i'll be in touch. I HOPE i'll be here Monday, may go back and lap in TO again.. Big on the CASC lol

----------

That being said...

I'm toying with a few interesting ideas for my car.. I've definitely caught the race bug, and to be honest, I can't keep my mind out of the gutter when it comes to lapping, so there's a few prospects for this winters build scene.

Idea 1. This is unfortunately unrelated to the Skyline side of me, but we've been looking at purchasing a GT3 cup car, and racing that in the GTC (ALMS) Class in the next few years.. My fathers a huge Porsche fanatic, so that was his idea lol.

My idea 2. is to ditch the RB20, and make Skyleeze a full track machine. Reason for ditching the 20 is the lack of bottom end.. Even if i swap the plenum and ditch the runners, i dont think i'll be able to maximize efficiency below 3500, and after the DDT, i can see where it lacks on a technical track (Up hills out of corners mainly) So, what would i be dropping into it? Looks like an LSx is the main contender. Affordable hp/tq, light, and torquey on the low end. Ya ya i know, but for a track car to contend you need to outweigh the efficiency / power, and an RB26 has too much issues and is way too expensive to build, same goes for an RB30. SR20 is doable but not reliable for the hp i can draw from an LSx. Won't sound the same but oh well..

I plan to supercharge it (Say 8 lbs), and run it all season worry free (Granted there will be minor issues to work out, but generally speaking they're efficient setups)

So that's what i'm looking at now.. The car will still be QC plated, never giving that up.. But it won't have an interior, or seats minus my own..

Comment

• I like.

Or be different and compound turbocharge the RB20DET.

Boost Logic in the states are probably the people to talk to -

I was able to catch Marc at Boost Logic for just a second and got him to explain his turbo compound setup.

Driving -

Boost Logic Twin Turbo (Compound) test drive. SC50 and GT42-74 running 24 psi of boost (spiking 27 psi)

It gives you best of both worlds, lowend torque with smaller turbo, good transient response, topend hp with bigger turbo and supposedly no lag. Could use the turbo you have now and them a smaller turbo for more bottomend. Problem solved???

Compound turbocharging -

Last edited by Skym; 08-04-2011, 01:24 PM.
                      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

• twin charge the rb20 !!!

and marc, have you thought about signing up to the august 14th Time Attack @ ASE ?
                        http://montrealracing.com/forums/sho...ISTRATION-OPEN!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

• ya bro all over...remember i drive 35km one way everyday to work..i got to ottawa 180km one way every friday..montreal here and there.. etc etc..day trips...Toronto twice..aha etc etc
                          Originally posted by nelsonmxmarc View Post
                          12,300 this summer?? haha holy crap that's insane. Where have you been going!? And yes, 430 without a clutch loll

Comment

• Myself and another member here are just about ready to prove the viability of an arguably much better v8 option. From a base-platform view, anyway.
                            A few details will be floating around in a week or 2

Comment

• ottawa is 180kms from brockville?
                              Jordie Lewis
                              1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

• Hmm what to do next.. (this summer)

- I need a front tow hook

- I need a cage.. I had a bolt in that i bought local, and have now sold it.. Made money though, win.

- I need a carbon hood and trunk.. And no, i'm not going to produce either of these myself because i dont have the time or patience since it'll cost me double what it costs to buy a shoddy seibon product.

- I also need to heat wrap my down pipe, and find some sort of solution to my heat saturation issues with my IC piping and intake pipe.
                                reflective tape? heat wrap (Exhaust type)? From what i remember in our last discussion (Skym), we came to the conclusion a reflective tape would yield the coolest AIT since heat is infrared.. Exhaust wrap is to contain heat, not ward it off. Ideas?
                                Car runs like a pig when it's been in traffic at 40* C or on the track after 30 laps (probably normal though lol)

- Probably going to opt for 5 mm spacers in the rear and do a small pull.. Wide bum is nice..

Comment

Working...
                                X