Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

0.8mm is best for sparkplug gap and one heat range colder if boost level is upped. Stock is NGK PFR5A, 1.1mm gap for RB20DET and PFR6A is one heat range colder with 0.8mm gap. If boost level is turned down and engine runs richer (cooler cylinder temps), might need a hotter heat range sparkplug. But pull sparkplugs and read the tips to see if tips are getting burnt (too hot heatrange) or getting fouled? (too cold heatrange). Learnt the lesson the hard way by burning tips of stock PFR5A sparkplugs with basic intake, exhaust and took out 2x coilpacks with using incorrect replacement sparkplugs.

I would suggest you read the FAQ section on NGK website to learn about heatranges -

Nistune for stock ECU. Once Nistune is installed inside stock ECU, makes stock ECU retuneable via consult plug (under dash on drivers side, next to fuses), consult cable, laptop, tuning software. Next set of mods would be FMIC, fuelsystem upgrade (stock injectors are good for roughly around 276hp at engine), Z32 MAF + Z32 MAF plug (needs to be wired in), boost controller, clutch upgrade.
    Last edited by Skym; 05-02-2011, 11:25 AM.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

I'm not 100% for sure if the boost is upped, but from what I've read, RB20DET boost at ~7psi stock and in 3rd - 5th I boost around 10psi (gauging from the stock boost gauge needle being halfway between 350 and 700mmHg) I know it has an ARC intake and I'm pretty sure cat-back exhaust, possibly just axle back. So would I be using the PFR6A .8mm gap then? or could I go to a .9 mm gap. I need advice as this is the first car I have owned that's turbo and that I'm tuning.

Comment

PFR6A with 0.8mm gap should be enough. But with colder conditions, cooler cylinder temps, factory heatrange might work. But reading the tips of current sparkplugs is the best way to determine what you need with heatrange. Also a Nissan dealership that sells Skylines (mechanic) usually can recommend a plug to use for conditions.

How you figure out how much to gap sparkplugs is mentioned on the NGK website under FAQ -

Last edited by Skym; 05-16-2011, 02:19 PM.
        RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

I've been looking around winnipeg for a set of spark plugs to install when I install my boost controller, but I can't find plugs pre-gapped at .8mm anywhere. Do they even exist or do I need to gap myself? The plugs I'm looking for is BCPR6EIX-8 but can only find BCPR6EIX-11

Comment

Can regap them, but read the part in above link about gapping sparkplugs that mentions what to watchout for when regapping those type of sparkplugs.

I think it's a special part number and are pregapped to 0.8mm. Has no -11 or -8 on the end. Or just get NGK copper sparkplugs, regap and change them every 10,000km or so.
            Last edited by Skym; 05-28-2011, 01:11 AM.
            RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Hate to do this epic thread revive but I need some help for plugs.
              As far as I know my RB20 is completely stock. I have a 3" exhaust though. My boost gauge tells me I peak at 12 psi and then hold at 10psi.

I checked a Canadian Tire in Montreal and they had nothing you guys suggested in stock. My local CT has BCPR6EGP in stock though. Is that the same as BCPR6? I've gone to a local part store and they only one they stocked was a copper plug.

Comment

My car ran NGK PFR6A-11 (1.1mm gap) gapped down to 0.8mm.
                RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

So is 0.8 what I should have them gapped at no matter the plug I get?

Comment

If you don't gap sparkplugs down engine can miss at higher rpm with higher boost levels (spark gets blown out) and can damage coilpacks. If increase strength of ignition system via playing with dwell / coilpack (increase voltage) settings on ECU or fitting HKS Twin Power DLI to increase voltage / spark, you can keep the stock 1.1mm gap.
                    RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Did we ever find out what to use in the rear diff and for power steering?

Comment

power steering fluid is nissan ATF. i run redline heavy shockproof in my diff.
                        - Adam

:
                        http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/44846-project-nashzilla-r32-gt-t-neo.html

Comment

1990 nissan skyline gtst

hey every one i was wondering if anyone could give me the part number for the passenger side front seat belt retractor? or cheap website to order one to canada? Also what car is compatible for the tie rod/steering rack boot for the front? thank you

Comment

Working...
                          X