Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil pump: Spline gear Vs. Reimax Vs. high-pressure oil pump ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The more I read about it... the extra sump turn me off.. 600-1000 for a sump + welding + risk of scrapping the sump with puthole + cost of the big pump. and then.. which sump has the best baffle design, i sure cant tell with my knowledge.

Some seems to say that with extra oil ( add 1-2 liters) and bigger oil return, you could get away with a bigger pump without sump, but still..

then I look at dragon's car who abuse his car and he's fine with reimax gear and me who had 550whp and was fine with n1 pump. Guess I will go with these lol so sick of spending hours and hours looking at this
    Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

Strongly recommend reading stuff from gtr.co.uk and skyline australia community

What I believe myself is:

Crankcase is presurized on boost (because of ring gap/blow by), preventing oil from head to drain back. Therefore either have PCV on head and crankcase separately (ideal) or have a hose connecting head and bottom separately to equalize the pressure between head and bottom, letting the oil drain passage to do its job.

Comment

just had a small chat with spool import!

Hi Alex
        It installs exact same way as your collar. You will have to measure the diam of the shaft where your collar is fitted and let me know - as if its smaller you can not fit the spline drive, if it is bigger it will be able to be fitted
        Cheers

the collar can be removed no problem - but it all depends on what size the crank was machined too to fit your collar, as to whether the spline drive will fit

Another thing to look out... if you already had a crank machined for the collar.. theres a chances yours won't fit with the new spline design.. so if you have to factor the cost of a new crank or used crank+machining just to fit the spline design... you just spent the same amount of the cost of a tomei.

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

Do it already. you've been talking about it for how long?
          No build thread.
          1991 nissan
          El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Text me. I'll order with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruizer View Post
              Do it already. you've been talking about it for how long?
              It all about doing wise choice and be a nice guy by giving info back for future reference no ?

Comment

You're right. I think you should dry sump. You have the best of everything else, why cheap out on some custom limited use spline drive thing.
                No build thread.
                1991 nissan
                El terror

Comment

You're right. I think you should dry sump. You have the best of everything else, why cheap out on some custom limited use spline drive thing.
                  LOL !! because I'm a student on a ''budget''

Comment

No offence but students on budget's either shouldn't be able to afford the many parts you have, or your priorities are skewed and will catch up with you. Sure hope it's not student grants lol

Being on a budget doesn't mean you can cheap up on something vital when you didn't cheap out anywhere else.
                    No build thread.
                    1991 nissan
                    El terror

Comment

No offence but students on budget's either shouldn't be able to afford the many parts you have, or your priorities are skewed and will catch up with you. Sure hope it's not student grants lol

Being on a budget doesn't mean you can cheap up on something vital when you didn't cheap out anywhere else.
                      It's awefully easy to sit there and critique the way others spend their money and how they make their decisions without so much as ever seeing their face isn't it?

Just because you're paranoid as hell about things blowing up it doesn't mean all of share the same concerns.

However your input is always welcomed and appreciated.

Comment

Bruizer and I had engine blown up in the past. Having a dead car is, well, devastating, painful, and pointless, and I'm sure he doesn't want it to happen to you.

Now, the spline oil pump drive in theory is all good with no drawback. It is a well-proven design for supra's 2JZ and obviously it APPEARS to be a better design than normal RB collar drive which has slacks, and sucks. But it is not proven! It SOUNDS like the end of all RB oil-related nightmare but no one has done it and proven it as far as my online research goes. Do you want to be the first one to be cool? Or do you want to be the first one to try it and blow up your motor and be the pioneer to say why it sucks?

I am no engine rebuilder but having an engine completely built spot on with ALL individual parts inspected and tested thoroughly is very expensive and time consuming. Having an engine built with a straight stock crank and clearances in check with a Tomei pump is extremely plausible to think that it will be fine. Someone has a bent crankshaft and cracked the TOMEI pump and didn't know it until he disassemble the engine, and the engine didn't blow up! Now, if you want to be the "cool" one and try the spline drive, you are in unknown territory. Probably you are fine, probably not. Who knows. BUT, if you just do the conventional way of balancing the crankshaft and use a tomei pump, as we "regular people" do, I BET it will be JUST FINE.

Just my 2 cents. Life is short. Enjoy your ******* car, and also enjoy something else meaningful in life.

Comment

If you want to be "cool" you can use the Ross external oil pump bracket and do it single stage wet sump external pump. If done right, you will be cool, and it is obviously a well-proven design.

Comment

Originally posted by leung23c View Post
                            Bruizer and I had engine blown up in the past. Having a dead car is, well, devastating, painful, and pointless, and I'm sure he doesn't want it to happen to you.

Now, the spline oil pump drive in theory is all good with no drawback. It is a well-proven design for supra's 2JZ and obviously it APPEARS to be a better design than normal RB collar drive which has slacks, and sucks. But it is not proven! It SOUNDS like the end of all RB oil-related nightmare but no one has done it and proven it as far as my online research goes. Do you want to be the first one to be cool? Or do you want to be the first one to try it and blow up your motor and be the pioneer to say why it sucks?

I am no engine rebuilder but having an engine completely built spot on with ALL individual parts inspected and tested thoroughly is very expensive and time consuming. Having an engine built with a straight stock crank and clearances in check with a Tomei pump is extremely plausible to think that it will be fine. Someone has a bent crankshaft and cracked the TOMEI pump and didn't know it until he disassemble the engine, and the engine didn't blow up! Now, if you want to be the "cool" one and try the spline drive, you are in unknown territory. Probably you are fine, probably not. Who knows. BUT, if you just do the conventional way of balancing the crankshaft and use a tomei pump, as we "regular people" do, I BET it will be JUST FINE.

Just my 2 cents. Life is short. Enjoy your ******* car, and also enjoy something else meaningful in life.
                            your resumed exactly how i feel about the spline design.. I just don't know what to think haha

By the way, my car had a timing belt skipped.. so i know what an engine blown is

I'm not doing that to piss ppl off, but im sure later on, some ppl will read this thread. Here's how I see it:

Tomei oil pump route ( pump is approx. 1400): + you gotta add a big ass sump to make sure the sump never get sucked dry by the hi-flow pump rate. these sump go between 1000 to 2000. + labour cost to weld it. + who I am to judge if the baffle design of one sump is better than the other one ? + risk of scrapping the sump with our canadian road full of pothole. Basicly I'm down to about 2500-3000 when everything is done.

Spline road : spline collar go between 700-800. I looked at the instruction and it does appears to be a bit more technical than the regular collar so theres a chance my builder don't follow exactly these instruction or do it his way for whatever reason.. Now, if your engine is like mine, you already had a crank collar fitted. I'm told by Spool that theres a chance that the new spline design wont fit into my crank because it was previously machine for another collar. If that's the case, I have to factor the cost of a new crank (1000) or buy a used one ( 200 then add 400$ for balancing/machining etc). So basicly, it's still a 1500-1800$ job with no '' long-time test that prove this method is ''bulletproof''

Reimax way: You forget everything you read on forums, believe that nissan and reimax know a thing or 2 about crankshaft and believe a clearance is OK. pay 400$ and be done with it. I honestly havent heard many reimax gears smashed story.

I wanted to go with the tomei pump, but the welded sump is a turn-off. I then thought, lets be a guinea pig and go spline, but the crankshaft story is a little turn-off too. So I'm pretty much left with the reimax method.

Comment

No hard feeling taken. we just don't think the same way.
                              Last edited by cobrAA; 11-08-2014, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leung23c View Post
                                If you want to be "cool" you can use the Ross external oil pump bracket and do it single stage wet sump external pump. If done right, you will be cool, and it is obviously a well-proven design.
                                It was done on the 900awhp Godzilla Motorsport Drag R32 GTR, so it's proven to work -

Ignition DVD features Mark Jacobsens Godzilla Motorsport R32 GTR in issue 009.

I think they said it was a 7 litre sump, but some fit a 9 litre sump (wet sump setups).
                                Last edited by Skym; 11-09-2014, 10:02 AM.
                                RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Working...
                                X