Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil pump: Spline gear Vs. Reimax Vs. high-pressure oil pump ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by r32_nate View Post
    LOL oh she does a good job keeping me on a leash, but its difficult for her to do when im spending my own money lol. If only I hadnt promised to financially contribute to this wedding lol.
    Depending if it's a marriage or just a legal document (with a ring that doesn't plug holes) for when you divorce, that will be the difference between you separate money or money as a whole together

Anyway I've been there, that's why I say that. Can only be selfish so long. I remember buying myself $5k brakes for Christmas and her a $600 laptop. Boy was she pissed.
    No build thread.
    1991 nissan
    El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Originally posted by Bruizer View Post
      It's not just high rpm that starves the bearings. High G cornering/ many corners (which a sump baffle doesn't solve), high cylinder pressure/boost (have seen a few local examples running N1 oil pump and at 1.5bar on -5/ nismo 581/ big twins if someone cares for which) and the rod bearings got crushed (running stock bearing clearances).

Builders found that the N1 oil pump didn't have enough pressure to oppose the cylinder pressure but a Nitto, greddy or tomei pump would have saved the engine.

Nothing to really worry about if you're using it as a street driven daily car but beefing up a stock pump would solve all oiling problems.
      That's true, stock oil pump doesn't have enough oil pressure at higher rpm (ok for low rpm use), hence the N1 oil pump with shimmed relief spring (old trick) was created to get higher oil pressure. But it's only good to a set rpm (stock rev limiter) and with stock cast pistons with tight clearances, etc.

From what I understand, Tomei, etc oil pumps are designed for a forged engine where the clearances are wider on pistons, etc, thus need more volume of oil and higher oil pressure for higher than stock rpm. That's why the Tomei oil pump is adjustable with oil pressure, as can be used at any rpm it's set to above stock rev limter (when aiming for more hp, higher boost levels, etc). But have to increase sump capacity to suit the oil pump moving more oil, as the stock sump is designed to suit the stock oil pump.

Nismo oil pump is the same (more volume, pressure, etc) as the Tomei oil pump and the Nismo oil pump was used on the forged Group-A RB26 engines. But the Nismo oil pump didn't have adjustable oil pressure, as they set the rpm at a set rpm for those engines.

Basically each oil pump has an application it suits and usually suits the engine internals from the same manufacturer. HKS engine internals, HKS oil pump, etc.

There's is a list on the net somewhere of the rpm the different brand oil pumps are rated to (oil pressure part).

Originally posted by Bruizer View Post
      With that being said, even with the longer pump snout on the cranks, there's been reports of greddy and tomei pump failures still.
      From what I have seen in photo's, heard, usually fail when they bounce of the revlimiter on a misshift. Driver error.
      Last edited by Skym; 01-09-2015, 11:44 PM.
      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Oil pump: Spline gear Vs. Reimax Vs. high-pressure oil pump ?

Read most of the thread. I went with n1 pump and raw brokerage crank collar/spool billet gears on my built rb26. Have spool head oil drain, tomei 1.5 restrict or and 10qts oil sump. Pushin 600 up on 19 psi and precision 6262. No problems here so far. And rpm limiter is 9k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by silvianc; 01-13-2015, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

ill probably set my limiter around 8k or 8.5k, depending on what is suggested by my tuner.
            1992 BNR32 Skyline
            285hp / 220tq @ 15.5PSI On Mustang Dyno 2014-09-22

Current Build:
            Precision 6264 Turbo 1.00A/R
            Tomei PonCam Type B
            Manley Titanium Valvetrain
            CP Pistons / Manley Rods
            Supertec Spline Drive Oil Gears/Drive
            N1 water pump / N1 Oil Pump
            Haltech Platnium Pro
            AEM Water/Menthanol
            Tomei FPR
            Exedy Hyper Twin Clutch

May 9th, 2015 made 408whp @ 9PSI

Build Thread
            http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gt-r-project-cars/62483-project-modworks-monster-r32-gtr-16.html

Comment

still following this thread with great interest. as of now. nothing is changing because we havent opened the motor yet! I've been pushing my motor with forged motor and a pair of gt2860 with a n1 pump with no problem at a set rev limiter of 7.8k rpm.

This time, I went with a stock pump with reimax gear ( because the gear is 4mm thicker) and I asked my mechanic to do the shim trick to boost a bit the pressure. My only grip is that i'm running an external oil cooler so hopefully the stock pump can have enough pressure to overcome the extra path the oil has to travel ( with my N1 pump, it wasnt a problem)

But to each his own, but I believe the ego of some people are simply too big.. in most case, the powerband start falling at 7k.. so theres no need for 8.5 - 9k rev limiter , except to brag about it to your friends...
              Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

Christmas came today, my spline drive gears arrived Ill get them installed on Friday when I go to get my pistons, rods, and clutch discs.

1992 BNR32 Skyline
                285hp / 220tq @ 15.5PSI On Mustang Dyno 2014-09-22

Current Build:
                Precision 6264 Turbo 1.00A/R
                Tomei PonCam Type B
                Manley Titanium Valvetrain
                CP Pistons / Manley Rods
                Supertec Spline Drive Oil Gears/Drive
                N1 water pump / N1 Oil Pump
                Haltech Platnium Pro
                AEM Water/Menthanol
                Tomei FPR
                Exedy Hyper Twin Clutch

May 9th, 2015 made 408whp @ 9PSI

Build Thread
                http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gt-r-project-cars/62483-project-modworks-monster-r32-gtr-16.html

Comment

I have a built engine so why no push 9.5k. Everything is rated to that including my little turbos but I don't plan of bouncing off the limiter.

Wonder how this spline mod would work on a Tomei pump.
                  No build thread.
                  1991 nissan
                  El terror

Comment

Originally posted by cobrAA View Post
                    still following this thread with great interest. as of now. nothing is changing because we havent opened the motor yet! I've been pushing my motor with forged motor and a pair of gt2860 with a n1 pump with no problem at a set rev limiter of 7.8k rpm.

This time, I went with a stock pump with reimax gear ( because the gear is 4mm thicker) and I asked my mechanic to do the shim trick to boost a bit the pressure. My only grip is that i'm running an external oil cooler so hopefully the stock pump can have enough pressure to overcome the extra path the oil has to travel ( with my N1 pump, it wasnt a problem)

But to each his own, but I believe the ego of some people are simply too big.. in most case, the powerband start falling at 7k.. so theres no need for 8.5 - 9k rev limiter , except to brag about it to your friends...
                    yes, there is a need. some people actually race their cars, and don't have little baby cams and turbos.
                    Last edited by Black BNR32; 01-14-2015, 10:35 AM.
                    oh hai!

Comment

Originally posted by Black BNR32 View Post
                      yes, there is a need. some people actually race their cars, and don't have little baby cams and turbos.
                      I do as much track time as possible both at my home track and I travel all across Canada and the US to tracks. I still have a stock pump (but changing it this winter). My motor is in very good health at almost 160,000 kms making 427whp at 16.5lbs.
                      Is the car run hard? I hold one of the fastest lap times at my local track for a street car.
                      So your comment about baby cams and turbos... makes you sound "offensive" to be polite.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbo View Post
                        I do as much track time as possible both at my home track and I travel all across Canada and the US to tracks. I still have a stock pump (but changing it this winter). My motor is in very good health at almost 160,000 kms making 427whp at 16.5lbs.
                        Is the car run hard? I hold one of the fastest lap times at my local track for a street car.
                        So your comment about baby cams and turbos... makes you sound "offensive" to be polite.
                        like i said.. some have ego-problem Remember I used the term, '' in my opinion'' , ''some ( meaning i didnt want to put everyone in the same basket)'' and '' in most case''

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

Alex your car was exceptional before. I can only imagine what it'll be like once it's back together.
                          It might just need a coat of wax
                          I still think the oil pump topic is out of control.

Comment

Exceptional gtr is my mission

Small turbos, biggest cams here.
                            No build thread.
                            1991 nissan
                            El terror

Comment

Originally posted by bobbo View Post
                              Alex your car was exceptional before. I can only imagine what it'll be like once it's back together.
                              It might just need a coat of wax
                              I still think the oil pump topic is out of control.
                              Sure thing !! I will contact Justin this year again since I didn't come last year.My plan is to visit robin at latest may 1st, will let you know the final outcome

Comment

What is your engine spec Bruizer?

Comment

Working...
                                X