Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil pump: Spline gear Vs. Reimax Vs. high-pressure oil pump ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cobrAA View Post
    still following this thread with great interest. as of now. nothing is changing because we havent opened the motor yet! I've been pushing my motor with forged motor and a pair of gt2860 with a n1 pump with no problem at a set rev limiter of 7.8k rpm.

This time, I went with a stock pump with reimax gear ( because the gear is 4mm thicker) and I asked my mechanic to do the shim trick to boost a bit the pressure. My only grip is that i'm running an external oil cooler so hopefully the stock pump can have enough pressure to overcome the extra path the oil has to travel ( with my N1 pump, it wasnt a problem)

But to each his own, but I believe the ego of some people are simply too big.. in most case, the powerband start falling at 7k.. so theres no need for 8.5 - 9k rev limiter , except to brag about it to your friends...
    Is not about ego, tuner gave me a call saying my setup is still making torque at 8400 Rpms and that he wanted to bump it up to 9k rpms. If u have a good harmonic balancer, crank issue solved in any way u choose I don't see the problem. Where the problem is if u beat the **** out of it and leave it on those Rpms for long periods of time. No engine will survive without something failing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by silvianc View Post
      Is not about ego, tuner gave me a call saying my setup is still making torque at 8400 Rpms and that he wanted to bump it up to 9k rpms. If u have a good harmonic balancer, crank issue solved in any way u choose I don't see the problem. Where the problem is if u beat the **** out of it and leave it on those Rpms for long periods of time. No engine will survive without something failing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      But I assume that's on a dyno?

From what I understand, more rpm = increased load on the bottomend, especially conrods (including H beam) that can snap when engine is under load (weight of car). Using higher boost level is safer, combined with lower rpm. Or could run on E85.

Also you would have to monitor oil pressure to see the sharp drops in oil pressure when reaching 1.2G+ while cornering with higher rpm, even with the best wet sump setup, slick tyres on racetrack. If the engine is not under high G's (dyno is one example), you probably won't notice it happening.

With Link (also Vipec) ECU you can have low oil pressure warning via ECU engaging a rev limiter. If oil pressure drops to 0, the ECU shuts engine off. As far as I know it's commonly used on rally cars.
      Last edited by Skym; 01-17-2015, 07:08 AM.
      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Originally posted by leung23c View Post
        What is your engine spec Bruizer?
        Tomei 2.8L.
        tomei head.
        tomei oil pump.
        Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
        Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
        Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
        Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
        Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
        White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
        lol

Comment

spline collar installed, at the shop to get the crank balanced now.

1992 BNR32 Skyline
          285hp / 220tq @ 15.5PSI On Mustang Dyno 2014-09-22

Current Build:
          Precision 6264 Turbo 1.00A/R
          Tomei PonCam Type B
          Manley Titanium Valvetrain
          CP Pistons / Manley Rods
          Supertec Spline Drive Oil Gears/Drive
          N1 water pump / N1 Oil Pump
          Haltech Platnium Pro
          AEM Water/Menthanol
          Tomei FPR
          Exedy Hyper Twin Clutch

May 9th, 2015 made 408whp @ 9PSI

Build Thread
          http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gt-r-project-cars/62483-project-modworks-monster-r32-gtr-16.html

Comment

good job!
            Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

update

got my crank back all balanced and only cost 150 . installed and built my bottom end, fits nice and snug. Havent tried aligning the oil pump yet, was too busy pulling and stripping a boxer engine today. More to come. but its installed

1992 BNR32 Skyline

Current Build:
              Tomei PonCam Type B
              CP Pistons / Manley Rods
              Haltech Platnium Pro
              AEM Water/Menthanol
              Tomei FPR
              Exedy Hyper Twin Clutch

Build Thread
              http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gt-r-project-cars/62483-project-modworks-monster-r32-gtr-16.html

Comment

Very nice!

$150 to install it? Does that include modifications to the oil pump (along with clearancing/centering)? How is it fitted to the crank? Keyway, interference fit, set screw... welded?
                No build thread.
                1991 nissan
                El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

$150 for balancing, $200 to have it machined onto the crank, so total $350 worth of work. Its interference fit. Oil pump did not need any work. understand im ding most of the building myself, i changed my oil pump gears and installed the crank. $350 was to have the crank machined and collar installed, as well as crank balanced and sitting in my garage for me to install.
                  1992 BNR32 Skyline

Current Build:
                  Tomei PonCam Type B
                  CP Pistons / Manley Rods
                  Haltech Platnium Pro
                  AEM Water/Menthanol
                  Tomei FPR
                  Exedy Hyper Twin Clutch

Build Thread

Comment

Gotcha. Just so I understand, there is also a spline ring for the oil pump that is driven by the crank spline?

Honestly, it's too late for me since I already have my tome crank installed in the short block but is good to learn this for the next round cause we all know powerful rbs don't run for 100,000km
                    No build thread.
                    1991 nissan
                    El terror

Comment

• Around 3000km is average for a race engine between rebuilds and is considered reliable.
                      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

• yup, i think i posted pics up a few posts, but when u buy the gear set, u get the spline collar, nd both the inner and outer gear with splines for the pump, either oem or n1 sizes available.

this engine should be good for more than 3000km with the spline drive and the fact that i only am able to race 3-4 times a year if lucky. this is daily driven in the summer though. its nice to get to work in a hurry lol ;p
                        1992 BNR32 Skyline

Current Build:
                        Tomei PonCam Type B
                        CP Pistons / Manley Rods
                        Haltech Platnium Pro
                        AEM Water/Menthanol
                        Tomei FPR
                        Exedy Hyper Twin Clutch

Build Thread

Comment

• Hey guys if there is any interest I am more than happy to do a group buy on these Spline drive gears can be a mix for different oil pumps eg N1, Oem Jun and Tomei. Min 5 people can do these for £390 shipped. Normally they are £480 shipped.
                          Supertec Racing

Comment

• Ps best way to contact is via Facebook or on GTR.co.uk as from time to time I cannot seem to access this site due to it being diverted to some spam page or so.
                            Supertec Racing

Comment

• Originally posted by FRRACER View Post
                              Ps best way to contact is via Facebook or on GTR.co.uk as from time to time I cannot seem to access this site due to it being diverted to some spam page or so.
                              All you have to do if you get that spam page is hit the "back" button, and click the link again. It happens to me as well, it only does it the first time you try the link, if you try again it should go to this page.
                              1992 BNR32 Skyline

Current Build:
                              Tomei PonCam Type B
                              CP Pistons / Manley Rods
                              Haltech Platnium Pro
                              AEM Water/Menthanol
                              Tomei FPR
                              Exedy Hyper Twin Clutch

Build Thread

Comment

• oh man i'd be all over this if it didn't mean modding my tomei crank
                                No build thread.
                                1991 nissan
                                El terror

Comment

Working...
                                X