No announcement yet.

RB26 Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah i'm looking into the Tomei oil pump its $1400 which is heavily cutting into supporting mods fund, also the gt2860r-5's are backordered forever so might have to downgrade to the -9's which isnt that big of a deal still be enough power for me unless anyone has a set of -5's hangin around. -9's run good with the tomei type B poncams?

Just got a price list from z-tune for a whack load of stuff... dont think i have the 16.5k they want for everything... but im still gonna buy a lot of it if i cant find it anywhere else.

I'm going a different route then acl race bearings and tomei main and rod stud sets... man are they expensive. Gonna do arp studs and possibly nismo, tomei or clevete bearings anyone have better choice on bearings let me know cause i cant afford $1500 in bearings.

I'll for sure upgrade the Rad to probably a Koyo one from z-tune, and ill def be using the oil restrictor in the tomei metal gasket kit...

New purchase list (pricing included, all new parts):

Wiseco pistons $700
    Eagle rods $550
    Tomei metal gasket kit $430
    Tomei oil pump $1400
    Tomei oil baffle $259
    Jun crank collar $175
    Greddy Adj. cam gears $254
    Tomei Type B cam kit $700
    Re-build gasket kit $253
    Koyo Rad $450
    GT2860R-9 x 2 $1775
    Deatsch 750cc x 6 $525
    Nismo Thermostat $65
    N1 water pump $268
    Nismo super copper twin clutch $1875
    ATI race damper $478
    HKS fan controller $70
    Twin electric fans $200

10.5k is a lot and I haven't got pricing on the bearings and ARP studs yet.

Might have to hold off on the turbo upgrade and get as many supporting mods as possible then buy the turbos. I could get my stocker's rebuilt with steel wheels or is it a better idea to get the R34 turbo's... man I'm outta idea's 10-13k isnt enough for a full engine re-build + turbo upgrade... might have to wait

Anyother suggestions and or ideas for my build would be great i'm still learning but at least i've got you bunch to guide my cash into the right hands!

Thanks!

Comment

Might have scored a couple -5's!! We'll see...

Comment

Parts update!

Not getting the nismo clutch anymore to much on the wallet... going with Z-Tune special RPS max clutch good for 525lb-ft anyone have any experience with these 6 puck clutches? Gonna get a RPS flywheel to match 12lbs... def not getting turbo's this month anyway... still saving as this build goes on so who knows might be able to pick them up a little bit down the road but i want this thing running!!! Anyone have info on a place in Van that rebuilds turbos? i think kenetic does not sure gonna call them today... besides that my machinist is takign the oil pan off today to tell me what happened and if the crank is re-usable... then the ordering starts...

Comment

Don't spend your money at Kinetic for rebuilt turbos. It'll cost you only a few hundred dollars less than getting the new ball bearing garretts.
          1990 Skyline GT-R - Jet Silver Metallic
          It'll run someday

Comment

And how do you figure ACL bearings are more expensive than Tomei, or 1500 bucks for everything?

I'm running ACL bearings in my motor, and it was under 300 bucks for the rods/mains..........
            It'll run someday

Comment

that clutch you are looking at feels like a clutch out of a 1970's trans am.. Little to no feel and all spring... Save some cash then do the build. PM me if you wanna see mine. You might change your mind.

Comment

Yeah tokes they just quoted me wrong on the bearings they put multiple kits of bearings down on my quote for both main and rod... so really the bearings only cost like $200 and change but they were listed at $1500 which confused me cause i never thought bearings could cost that much... i'll be going with ACL bearings and arp studs... anyone know how to get the main studs besides e-bay, or just go with oem main studs?

Eber since you dont like that clutch what do you use and/or suggest.

Engine is half apart and the bottom end looks to be in good shape, he told me that #6-#4 con bearings are in good shape and that he'll get the rest apart today. Good news the crank is in good shape but the problem i was having is somewhere else... he thinks a lifter... which is fine by me i want a re-built engine that'll last!!

So if anyone has ideas on a set of BB turbos that arent over $1500 and in the country that'll bolt up to my setup let me know!!

Comment

Originally posted by curtisgoodman View Post
                  Parts update!

Not getting the nismo clutch anymore to much on the wallet... going with Z-Tune special RPS max clutch good for 525lb-ft anyone have any experience with these 6 puck clutches? Gonna get a RPS flywheel to match 12lbs... def not getting turbo's this month anyway... still saving as this build goes on so who knows might be able to pick them up a little bit down the road but i want this thing running!!! Anyone have info on a place in Van that rebuilds turbos? i think kenetic does not sure gonna call them today... besides that my machinist is takign the oil pan off today to tell me what happened and if the crank is re-usable... then the ordering starts...
                  I've got that rps 6 puck in my car, it was a wicked clutch for stock turbos. I can't complain, it survived half dozen 1/4 mile passes with fairly hard launches 1.6-1.8 60 fts. Couldnt tell you how it would fair with close to 500hp. Im going to get rid of my RPS, its only got about 5,000km on it. I dont know if youd want it or not?

Adios

Johnny

Comment

why the change of heart on the clutch?? Gonna get a new one regardless though... never know i might change my mind and get something with a bit more grip! Thanks for the offer though id just rather go new on the clutch...

No parts have been ordered as of this morning this afternoon is D-Day for parts ordering so if anyone has anything on that list new or used let me know... might go for it save a bit of coin and end up having enough for turbos!!!

Comment

you can try the os geiken clutch but it is very very loud! I would rather have a quieter one myself if I was to do it all again

Comment

Anyone have info on a place in Van that rebuilds turbos?
                        I got approached by a guy who was splitting his garage with me about doing this thru a friend of his. I dunno what his work is like, but he said he'd cut me a deal. I'll email him and see excactly what this entails... just buyer beware, this might be a ghetto job.

Comment

So if anyone has ideas on a set of BB turbos that arent over $1500 and in the country that'll bolt up to my setup let me know!!
                          You aren't very picky, are you?

Your only hope, really, would be to try and find someone with some used ones for sale.
                          It'll run someday

Comment

i'm not that picky tokes i want what i cant afford which is to do all this and get turbo's tuned with the setup as well... otherwise ill just be spending more time later installing them then getting the car tuned again... i'd like to do it all in one go... but gt2860r-5's are a bit pricy for me and hard to get a hold of so i figure the gt2560r-9's are a bit cheaper and will still do the trick... we'll see i havent set anything in stone yet.

Comment

Machineshop update!!

So he finally got the entire engine apart and found that 3 of the 6 pistons had melted pretty much and only #4 cylinder had any damage which isnt enough to hurt anything and will come out with the over bore... gotta make sure that doesnt happen again leaning out every cylinder is not good... so now to get everything spec'ed and start ordering internal parts! Probably 1/4 the way through the process and in a month hopefully it will be getting tuned...

i'll probably go over the whole fuel system and replace everything, injectors are already on the list ill add fuel pump to it, got the adj. fpr, obviously fuel filter... anythign im missing?

Comment

you could save a TON of money from buying here. Trust me, i've bought alot of rb26 parts and save some good money.

nismoparts.com/cart/?pn=RB26

Comment

Working...
                                X