My 1995 GTR project thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks great!
    gtr garage queen...anybody seen my wallet?

Comment

wow i just came
      1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

holy ****. i went broke just buying my power fc. you have that and TONS more ****.
        RB25 Powered RWD GT-R

Owner for Turtle Garage Hicas Delete Systems

Comment

Well i cheat .

I have a business that has 2 service vehicles and those parts are for a H3T and a RAV4 on paper

Comment

Looking good Paul. I thought I had a complete sweep of parts for my build but you have even more stuff than I do. Can't wait to cruise when it is done.
            1995 R33 GTR Vspec - Sold
            2004 Dodge SRT-4 Stage 3R - Sold
            2013 Subaru WRX STI - Where is the power? - Daily

Comment

yes , it's taking a while though lol, i wanted to take it to TMP and mosport, but after seeing the shinnanigans from the other drivers there this year i'm seriously considering not to. If some twit in a $1500 civic or an accord that doesnt know how to drive side swipes my GTR i'll probably snap!

Comment

Come to Calabogie and run a real track

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

Comment

do i bring my gtr or my lawn tractor ?

Comment

No joke, this is the nicest R33 i have ever seen, and the build is unbelievable! Great work man cant wait to see it finished!

Comment

Originally posted by cortexx View Post
                      Well i cheat .

I have a business that has 2 service vehicles and those parts are for a H3T and a RAV4 on paper
                      Can similar parts for a Silver R32 be also for those two service vehicles?!?!?! PRETTY PLEASE!

Seriously though, R33's are usualy my thing but damn man yours makes me question myself sometimes.
                      1991 Silver Skyline R32 GT-R - SOLD You will be sorely missed girl :'(

Comment

Well thanks for the comments

Stardate 20:06:2011

cortexx's log: Better get the frig on with this thing if it's ever going to make it back out of the workshop and to skymeet ..... turbo kit hmmm.

so after several cups of tea i decided it was time to assemble all the little parts ready for the install of the tomei turbos ... the parts came in various bags but as i found out after studying the list of parts number - not in a any particular order.

these are the bags of small parts as they come out of the box :-

after trying to match the parts up with the diagrams and prts list i decided i'd just start assembling them step by step.

The instructions are not the easiest to follow and it's easy to make mistakes , simply because all the lines are a very slightly different size , and each one has it's place. Im going to be very specific with some steps because the instructions are not !

We first remove the old oil and water fittings from the engine block on the passenger side :-

It's funny , i had a nightmare about removing these fittings a few nights back , ever broken a banjo bolt off in a block before ? I have and it's a twat to remove so i heated them a bit to make sure i didn't create chaos here.

into the wash tank with the parts for a soak while i figure out what i needed to keep and what i could throw :-

the oil fitting on the block is reused including its banjo bolt , the kit supplies new copper seal rings for refitting to the block , make sure you use them . The new stainless fittings in the kit are assembled into this fitting BEFORE replacing it on the block because you cannot do up the fittings while it's attached ( i tried , didnt work ) .

when fully assembled and back in place it looks like this :-

Last edited by cortexx; 06-20-2011, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Wow looks great man. Lots of good stiff on this build. I'm enjoying this
                          Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

The water fitting it ditched completely and replaced by a single 90deg bend coming out and pointing 45 degrees to the front of the car.

This kit is designed to delete the dual coolant feeds (1 to each turbo cartridge) , and replace them with a single feed to the back turbo that then feeds into the front turbo and onto the thermostat housing . I still have reservations about this but wtf , if it's good for tomei lets roll it out like that !

here is the new fitting :-

here it is on the block :-

next mod is the water line coupler that is situated just above the exhaust manifolds about 1/2 way down the length of the engine , because there are no longer 2 feeds going to it , you get a blank to block off the rear feed and a new fitting to convert the other inlet for the stainless line as you see here :-

it's important to make sure all fittings are secure as getting to them to fix a leak from a loose fitting once the car has been assembled is akin to feeding your testicles to a sausage machine !

Well lets have a look at the turbo units themselves , they look pretty , shame they wont really be visible after all the other crap has been installed. Not that it really matters what they look like , as long as they do their job well..

Last edited by cortexx; 06-20-2011, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Now I know most of the guys on these forums don't need to be told this - but i'll introduce this concept to the noob mechanics here because experience has told me that this next step is one of the easiest upgrades you can do to any engine , and it WILL pay dividends down the road .

A well kept secret yes it's ANTISIEZE paste !

Thats right , spread a bit of this shite on every thread you assemble and tearing it all down in 2 years will be as easy as breaking up legos . BTW if your fingers , tools and workbench are not smeared in this , you didn't use enough. The stuff im using is rated for 1800deg farenheight . should be good for my install !

so after about 10 minutes , a tin of antisieze , 2 wrenches and a couple of nuts to seat the studs this is what i had :-

and then 10 minutes later I had them both studded and ready for lines

front turbo first to be worked on , this is the oil drain orifice

the kit comes with nice new shiney pieces to bolt to the oil drain holes with new gaskets and bolts that i used ANTISIEZE on:-

And after about another 20 minutes of effing around with the parts , comparing the diagrams to the parts list , i had one turbo fitted with its stainless lines

The quality of the fittings is amazing , their design and utilization has been well thought out by tomei and is probably one of the easiest things to assemble so far on my car. Everything has a logical placement , everything fits impeccibly , and the stainless lines make earls lines look like glam rock garden hose ! A few other aftermarket tuning companies could learn a few lessons here!

TIme to test fit the dump pipes to the turbos using new gaskets ( the tomei expreme kit came with nissan gaskets btw) , cleaned up the old nuts and used them and fitted the new stainless studs on the downpipe flange with ....... you got it , lots of effing ANTISIEZE !

by the way this is the method used for tightening up studs , i remember back in the day during my mechanic apprentiship that i was given a very similar job to do , i was told to use the 2 nut method but being young , dumb and full of (wow its getting late - ill cut to the chase), i just tightened the nut down to the unthreaded part of the stud figuring id tighten it using 1 nut , of course i then couldn't get the nut off without undoing the stud again, then i couldn't get the nut off the stud anyways and wrecked the stud trying.

Moral is , use two friggin nuts .

Time to install the dumps using the supplied nissan gaskets that came with the dump pipe kit :-

after another half an hour we have a couple of fully assembled turbo units ready to install and alot less parts littering my work space :-

I must once again appologise for stating the obvious and mundane points , but noobs stand to learn more by this the the rest of us...

... tune in next time to see another exciting episode of WTF is cortexx doing to his skyline -
                              Last edited by cortexx; 06-20-2011, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Looks like a very nice kit!Good job
                                My car keeps on stealing my money .

Comment

Working...
                                X