Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That strange clicking sound...

OK lets see who is the Über SMRT.

I have this strange clicking sound coming from inside my trunk. It's kinda inbetween the tail lights behind the paneling. It sounds like a clicking relay. It clicks on and off randomly and when it does it makes all my electrical stuff flicker for a split second when you hear the click. The voltage on the volt meter drops to 12ish and all lights blink. It does it when ever the ignition it turned on even when the car is not running... Weird huh? Anyone?
    2015 Audi RS7 Sepang Blue
    2009 Yamaha R1 Raven Black - SOLD
    2005.5 Audi S4 Sprint Blue Pearl - SOLD
    1989 Nissan Skyline GTR - SOLD

I had this problem 2 years ago.. but.. uh .. sorry, I forgot the details. I think I replaced a relay and the problem went away.

Maybe this can help.
    ~Tonee

Comment

Fuel pump relay is back there. Also the Attesa pump cycles with the ignition on.
      Sean Morris

Comment

I found the clicking was my Attessa relay. Left side of the trunk latch.
        1989 Skyline GTR

"Want to Race? Save it for the track!"
        www.victoriamotorsports.ca

Comment

I tried replacing the relay but it's still doing it. Any one ever solve it?

Comment

Hmm Bump? No one got this fixed yet? It does it when the car is running or just has the ignition on. Usually every 12 sec in the begining.

Comment

Maybe its a rat 8-)

A work in progress!

Comment

Originally posted by shore_rider View Post
                Maybe its a rat 8-)
                Dagnabit! lol

Comment

maybe your fuel pump relay?

I know when we were in your car it was pretty loud of a click sound. If you know which one it is maybe you could try insulating it? It must be bolted right to the frame and it resonates through the trunk.

If you mount it on rubber grommits to the frame you would have less sound transfer. If thats not enough then build a small box around it. If you cant beat em join em right?

ALso its the nature of a relay to "click" when it comes on and off. I would say if its clicking then its working. Its when it stops clicking that you should be concerned!

Comment

Ya but only as few peoples relay click. The one thats in there is the 3rd one I tried using. This one is brand new. I think it's for the AWD. I should disconnect it and drive, see whats happening.

Comment

its possible they just dont notice it.

Comment

Joker, did you find out what the issue with the clicking sound was? I'm getting the exact same issue as well.

For me, right after I got my car, the battery was completely dead and expired (although it was brand new). The 'flicker' in power for the car was more severe and the voltage meter would drop something like 4volts. After getting home, I modified the battery terminal clamps so I can use USDM batteries in my car, and got a brand new USDM battery. The flickering I have now is much less severe, and happens faster; voltage drops about 0.05 volts from somewhere above 12v, the lights just barely flicker and I still hear that strange 'click' comming from the trunk.

Rockcrete was suggesting I may have air in my attessa reservoir. Any thoughts?
                        Legend of the red R

Comment

Originally posted by solid_88 View Post
                          Joker, did you find out what the issue with the clicking sound was? I'm getting the exact same issue as well.

For me, right after I got my car, the battery was completely dead and expired (although it was brand new). The 'flicker' in power for the car was more severe and the voltage meter would drop something like 4volts. After getting home, I modified the battery terminal clamps so I can use USDM batteries in my car, and got a brand new USDM battery. The flickering I have now is much less severe, and happens faster; voltage drops about 0.05 volts from somewhere above 12v, the lights just barely flicker and I still hear that strange 'click' comming from the trunk.

Rockcrete was suggesting I may have air in my attessa reservoir. Any thoughts?
                          Nope it still does it. Lights flicker dim and the click can be heard :P Let me know if you fix it. I know it's not the relay because I'm on my 3rd and this is a $30 from Nissan direct brand new.

Comment

Before I touch anything, I have to figure out which is the attesa reservoir and the AM/FM receiver. Then I'll try to solve this problem using problem-solving skills I learned in highschool. After that, I'll replace my AM/FM receiver with a better one, so I don't have to listen to talk shows anymore
                            Legend of the red R

Comment

Your ATTESSA reservoir is behind the panel in the back corner of the trunk on the drivers side. It's a hydraulic system fed by an electric pump. When I first got my car, I noticed the pump cycling periodiclly which I believe was due to air further down the hydraulic system. It stopped doing it soon after I got it, but I noticed it did it a few times after I pulled the car out of the garage after the winter.
                              1989 Gumetal GT-R - Nismo Turbo etc
                              ivoac.ca Join the fight for the right! If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem......

Comment

Working...
                              X