That strange clicking sound...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rockcrete View Post
    Your ATTESSA reservoir is behind the panel in the back corner of the trunk on the drivers side. It's a hydraulic system fed by an electric pump. When I first got my car, I noticed the pump cycling periodiclly which I believe was due to air further down the hydraulic system. It stopped doing it soon after I got it, but I noticed it did it a few times after I pulled the car out of the garage after the winter.
    I'm pretty sure the fluid is full to. Maybe I should try to top it up? What kinda fluid does it like?
    2015 Audi RS7 Sepang Blue
    2009 Yamaha R1 Raven Black - SOLD
    2005.5 Audi S4 Sprint Blue Pearl - SOLD
    1989 Nissan Skyline GTR - SOLD

Comment

I don't think the problem is the level, I think it is more from having some air in the lines (they run all the way from the reservoir under your car to the transfer case and I believe there are at least a couple of points to bleed the sytem). I may be wrong here, but that is my guess, anyway. If the relay keeps clicking and the relay is good, either you have a wiring problem, or the relay keeps getting a signal to activate.

By the way the fluid is Nissanmatic D
      1989 Gumetal GT-R - Nismo Turbo etc
      ivoac.ca Join the fight for the right! If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem......

Comment

Ok I just tore my trunk to pieces. I figured out where its comming from, its comming from this connector thing near the passenger side tail light. Turn your car on and listen closely.. the sound is comming from that. I'm not sure what those wires are for.. I doubt its tail light related.

In addition, there appears to be a line of air in my reservoir. The fluids are topped up beyond max as well, and doesnt change when the car is on. More on this later..
        Legend of the red R

Comment

its a relay that your looking at. Joker got that far as well, and has tried replacing the relay with 3 different ones.

I still maintain that, that is the sound a relay makes. Its not a problem that a relay is clicking. Thats normal. But since its bolted to the chasis the clicking sound has a chance to resonate through the whole car. Thats why I suggested putting rubber grommets or some sort of isolation between the relay and chasis. You cant stop it from clicking, and so far nobody cna confirm that its NOT supposed to be doing what its doing.

At this point its just a sound that some people hear and it bothers them. I think a lot more people have the same "problem" but are not concerned with it as much as you guys. And/Or they dont even hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinky_1 View Post
            its a relay that your looking at. Joker got that far as well, and has tried replacing the relay with 3 different ones.

I still maintain that, that is the sound a relay makes. Its not a problem that a relay is clicking. Thats normal. But since its bolted to the chasis the clicking sound has a chance to resonate through the whole car. Thats why I suggested putting rubber grommets or some sort of isolation between the relay and chasis. You cant stop it from clicking, and so far nobody cna confirm that its NOT supposed to be doing what its doing.

At this point its just a sound that some people hear and it bothers them. I think a lot more people have the same "problem" but are not concerned with it as much as you guys. And/Or they dont even hear it.
            Naw It's not because it resonates. The relay clicking is louder when the panels are off and clicks just as loud when it's not even bolted to the car. It also dims the lights. People would notice the diming even if they could not hear the relay.

Comment

I took the car for a rip on the highway (so much fun). The clicking disappeared afterwards...

Maybe thats what it is. The click sound is the car yearning to be taken out for a spin on the highway. Or it could be attesa related, because when I took it for a spin, I saw the torque guage jump up a bit. If you listen underneath the rear bumper, theres another distinctive sound.. comming from that relay and somewhere near the diff. Joker, do you hear this as well?
              Legend of the red R

Comment

The ATTESSA pump is near your diff, taking it out probably just pushed all the air out of your lines. The reason you notice it is that the pump doesn't normally cycle when your car is sitting there idling unless you have some air in the lines, then it does. That's my theory, and it seems to work for me
                ivoac.ca Join the fight for the right! If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem......

Comment

mike can you put some air in your attesa lines then see if the car clicks? or would you rather mind if i came down to rockcrete on friday?
                  Legend of the red R

Comment

I'm happy with mine not clicking The theory holds up though, because the ATTESSA should not cycle at all unless you are moving or you have an ATTESSA controller and it is locked in AWD. Having air in the system would cause pressure to bleed off and may cause the pump to continually cycle to maintain system pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by rockcrete View Post
                      I'm happy with mine not clicking The theory holds up though, because the ATTESSA should not cycle at all unless you are moving or you have an ATTESSA controller and it is locked in AWD. Having air in the system would cause pressure to bleed off and may cause the pump to continually cycle to maintain system pressure.
                      Hmm well if mine is due to air in the line driving it has not fixed mine :P Been driving it for a year like this. How do I bleed the lines? lol Myabe I better get Autodream to do it lol.

Comment

It's only a theory I believe there are several bleed screws in the sytem though, look in the service manual.

Comment

Ok since I can literally see the air bubble in my attesa fluid reservoir, i was thinking would it be possible if i just stuck a straw on the level with air to let it pass out, or is that just a stupid idea? I drew a diagram so i'd make more sense.

Legend of the red R

Comment

Man if your ATTESSA fluid is green, the air is the least of your worries...... It's probably not the air you can see that's the problem, though........

Comment

of course its not green, i was just testing you guys to make sure.. what colour is it supposed to be anyways?!
                              Legend of the red R

Comment

Looks like we may have an answer pretty much the same a rock said.

Hi Guys, I just got my new AEM EMS in my GT-R tonight and talking to my lap top tonight. I thought I had a USB/RS232 dongle problem but it turned out that the 5 wires that were still connected to the HKS were preventing the EMS from talking. The HKS is now completely disconnected. However I still need to figure out what those

Comment

Working...
                                X