This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sean,

I am wondering if you can give any other recommendations in regards to the octane issue we are facing.

Cheers,
    KaOz.
    "Straight roads are for FAST CARS, Corners are for FAST DRIVERS!"

TUNER SHOP:
    Absolute Motor Specialties (AMS INC)
    AMS Motorsports

Comment

Based on what I'm reading it doesn't look like we're facing any proiblems, since our Sunoco 94 is more than adequate. Only message is that if you've got a Skyline with a Japanese tuned ECU (mines) you'll need to change it or you'll go pop. Of course SG will carry that...

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

Comment

ya, but 94oct you should be ok even with the upgraded ecu. I believe Sean said that they went pop on 91oct.

If you do by chance get a Mines ECU, just install a water injection kit, like aquamist, and you should have no problems with detonation.

Of course, I would run the car on the dyno. with the wides to make sure your good to go.
        89 R32 GTR; 90 R32 GTR; 92 R32GTR

Comment

Originally posted by KaOz
          I am wondering if you can give any other recommendations in regards to the octane issue we are facing.

First someone needs to find out for sure how they measure the octane of the fuel you have . Is it (MON+RON) /2 . If it is , and its 91 , then thats what we run on in SoCal.
          Sean Morris

Comment

I just contacted Sunoco... so within 24 hours, I should have that answer for you Sean et al.

Cheers,
            KaOz.
            "Straight roads are for FAST CARS, Corners are for FAST DRIVERS!"

TUNER SHOP:
            Absolute Motor Specialties (AMS INC)
            AMS Motorsports

Comment

Found this information on anoter site:

This is a company posting!

Your Topic "Sunoco Reply1"

what is the MON rating of your 92 and 94 octane gas?

Your Comment on 04/24/2003 at 09:10 AM
              Thanks for your question.
              For Sunoco ethanol Ultra 94 gasoline, our specification is a R+M/2(RON + MON/2) of 94.0 minimum. This is the posted road index on our pumps and the standard throughout North America. Our typical RON for Ultra 94 is 99 min. and MON is 87 min.

For Sunoco Regular gasoline, our specification is a R+M/2 of 87.0 min. Our typical RON is 91 min. and MON is 82 min.

We recommend selecting the right octane fuel at the pump instead of adding octane boosters.
              - Chris Chan
              NEO240SX Founder
              GTRCanada Co-founder
              WWW.NEO240SX.CA

Comment

oh yours is ethanol too, that's what we have in winnipeg at 2 mohawk stations. ive heard bad things about ethanol though
                '90 Nissan Skyline GTR / RB26
                '91 Toyota Soarer GT-TL / 1JZ / Greddy T78 / MAP-ECU II / 800cc

Comment

So there you go.... 99 RON... for Sunoco 94. Run that stuff...... no problems

If you can't afford the best stuff available for your GT-R.... YOU SHOULD NOT DRIVE A GT-R.

Its a high perfomance car , not a normally aspirated GEO METRO.

Turbo cars require high octane to help prevent against detonation and pre-igniton.

You can ping the hell out of most NA cars , but a Turbo car will do some interesting things.

Theres some stuff about dynamic and static compression ratios.....as the boost goes up - sos the effective compression ratio...
                  Sean Morris

Comment

How about the RB20DET? Should 94 still be run in that, or is the 91 sufficient?

Comment

When you guys do get your GTRs, and if they are out of the good stuff at the pumps, you can still put the bad stuff in, but just do NOT BOOST. I know its comon sense, but some of the guys I have talked too seem to think that you can only put the premium in, or it will blow the engine.

I would treat the other turbo nissan engines the same.
                      89 R32 GTR; 90 R32 GTR; 92 R32GTR

Comment

Originally posted by R32GTR
                        When you guys do get your GTRs, and if they are out of the good stuff at the pumps, you can still put the bad stuff in, but just do NOT BOOST. I know its comon sense, but some of the guys I have talked too seem to think that you can only put the premium in, or it will blow the engine.

I would treat the other turbo nissan engines the same.
                        Go to another gas station if they don't have premium.

If you HAVE to put gas in - put only a few gallons....

One tank , one round of detonation can and will blow your motor.

All it takes is for conditions to be right , and there goes #6.... Or there goes the exhaust wheel.
                        Sean Morris

Comment

so to recap....

highest octane gas you can get
                          not aftermarket JDM ECU

check its all good........I will be using the highest gas I can get in Edmonton which is 91. AND I don't jave to worry about the ECU cause I am getting an APEXi POWER FC and AVC-R.

Steve
                          Nismo stands for Nissan Motorsports, right? So then I guess Homo stands for Honda Motorsports?
                          GTi-R, the baby \'zilla!

Comment

You should be fine with 94octane even with a JDM ECU.
                            I swap my engine, to JDM and swap the ecu also on my sw20 and currently running 94octane and i dont find a problem.

Accept 91, i cannot get full potential. Would not boost properly.

Comment

Out of curiousity, does anyone know what RON levels JDM ECU's are tuned for? I believe they offer ~92 and 97, and then 105 for the premium over there.
                              2012 Deep Pearl Blue Black Edition GT-R

Some say my teeth glow in the dark...
                              And that if you tune your radio to 88.4 FM you can actually hear my thoughts...

All we know is, I'm called The Stig

Comment

hmmm...

We have mohawk...but I need to fillup every week, and the closest mohawk that serves 94 octane is across the city....

damnit >< bad bad bad ><

*goes to contemplate*

So no boost eh....
                                Tuning the Spec V until I can own a V Spec...

Regional Coordinator - Manitoba

Comment

Working...
                                X