Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My question is, can we run tuned JDM ECU's (i.e. Mines or what have you) on our high octane 94 PON (99 RON) fuel here in BC? Or is it imperative that we change the ECU programming to prevent problems like Sean warned us of?
    2012 Deep Pearl Blue Black Edition GT-R

Some say my teeth glow in the dark...
    And that if you tune your radio to 88.4 FM you can actually hear my thoughts...

All we know is, I'm called The Stig

Comment

i'm running stock boost on the stock ECU on cheveron 94. everything is running fine

i'm gunna push it to 10psi later and see how that goes

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. GTR
        My question is, can we run tuned JDM ECU's (i.e. Mines or what have you) on our high octane 94 PON (99 RON) fuel here in BC? Or is it imperative that we change the ECU programming to prevent problems like Sean warned us of?
        i'm always scared that a tuned jdm ecu will not be able to retard timing for our fuel and go *boom*

Comment

From my discussion in the Central Forums here - http://forums.gtrcanada.com/viewtopi...er=asc&start=0

Originally posted by qbopolus
          i run 92 octane from huskie, its not bad at $1.04 a litre, it is $50 fill. Every where else has only 91 and its the same price so you might as well go to huskie or mohawk.
          This is the same problem that everyone seems to fail to notice.

Esso and Shell are the leading CANADIAN fuel providers for sulphur content... Petro Canada won't even give their quantity out, but I can tell you this much: I had never used petro canada petrol in my truck before, and used it three times in a row, consequently, my gas guage no longer reads correctly.

If it can damage your gas level sensor, just imagine what it does to your O2 sensor and injectors.

Mohawk and Husky won't tell their sulphur content either. Most smaller gas stations don't sell petrol provided by Imperial Oil (Esso) or Shell Petrol Industies.

While Mohawk may have 94 with ethanol, it's not GOOD for your engine. You'd likely be better off running regular 91/92.

Originally posted by iNliNE6
          I always used Petro Can in my Integra with no problems what so ever after 3 years so no offense but I dont know what caused the problem in your truck but I doubt it had anything to do with Petro Can's gas, but of course I could be wrong.
          It happened in 4 of my vehicles...

Seems the sensors don't like sulphur if they're not used to it

Also, *dons flame suit* many Fiero owners find this to be the cause of gas guage problems, along with a LOT of my friends with other cars.

Originally posted by qbopolus
          The thing with ethonal fuel is it is designed to clean out your fuel system, to reduce emmissions and so on, so if you just start running ethonal you always have to change you fuel filter after about oh 5000 miles, becuase it has cleaned all your injectors and fuel rails and all the crap in the system is now in your fuel filter, that is what causes your car to run bad, not the gas. It actually will make your car run better if done properly.
          Yes, but I thought ethanol was marked as a performance inhibitor?

Go here...

Ethanol is rated at an octane of 89 mon, 107 ron...
          However...

It's autoignition temperature (aka, knock temp) is 360*C, now premium unleaded has a similar autoignition temperature to methanol, which as we all know, is 460*C.

There's a reason why you use methanol/water injection in turbo cars, and why it was used in german fighter planes in WWII... It increases the knock resistance and allows you to run higher boost/more power. Ethanol on the other hand would lower it.

Methanol wouldn't be so bad, but ethanol on the other hand is not an improvement... But that's before we get into discussion of flame speed and heating value. Methanol and ethanol have a lower heating value of great amounts (causing less complete combustion, thus horrid efficiency, thus a drop in gas milage rather than increase) and ethanol has a LOWER flame speed than both methanol and regular gasoline.

Comment

Dr GTR yes 99ron fuel will be fine with a mines ecu , there basically stock units , ie they keep all the clever diagnostics , in japan there mapped to the car , ie 100 ron , 1 ron is minimal , and a mines ecu will adapt to it .
            There are other makes of basically stock ecu's "Central 20" is one but these are quite rare .
            the only ecus that may be a prob , are apex power fc , fcon pros etc , these may need remapping.
            BUT DO USE your 99ron all the time !!

Comment

Originally posted by 0piston
              Originally posted by thumper
              yeah besides chevron, i think mohawk is the only other one in british columbia who sells 94.

i had no idea sunoco existed in canada! there are no sunoco stations out here on the west coast

vancouver petro canada has 94 as well
              I have yet to find a bigger name gas station in BC without 94 at the pump
              unless its shell then they only have 92

Comment

Sorry to sound like the idiot here again, but correct me if i'm wrong

mines ecu -must use 94 if boosting
                retuned canadian ecu -can use 91 if a must and boost
                1991 HCR32

*edit 1991 SR32

Comment

Mines ECU = no good. It will be tuned to about 105 octane or something rediculous that you wouldn't ever come closer to here. The only solution is to get a factory ECU and have it tuned to the desired octane you want to run. Worst case scenario, get your car, reset the ECU, and then fill it with 94 and never boost above .9 bar.

On a side note, every Mohawk gas station I've been to in B.C. (including the island) has 94 and it's run in my car with no troubles.
                  -Josh

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
                  1990 Skyline GTS-R

Comment

Full standalone, then dyno tune = problem solved.
                    Race. Win. Live.

Comment

I can tell you my car was running very well on a JDM Mines tuned ECU. However, you can't always hear knock and I'm not sure whether or not the Mines unit would adapt enough.

So I went with a Power FC, soon to be tuned.
                      sigpic
                      The Beaumont Connection

Comment

Originally posted by got_boost!
                        Mines ECU = no good. It will be tuned to about 105 octane or something rediculous.
                        not true, i emailed quite a few Mine's dealers, and theyve all be told by Mine's that their ECUs are tuned for 98-99RON.

however, the retard in the ignition is good for fuel =/+100.

the Mine's ECU isnt so elaborate that it will just 'not like canadian fuel'. it is the stock ECU, with mere adjustments to the fuel and ignition, to make more power out of what its been given.

there are many GTR owners in the UK running the Mine's ECU on 98RON with no problems. i know Japan has different climate that us, but the UK is pretty damned close..

i have a few aftermarket ECU ROM files on my HDD, and ive been compairing them, and most of them are the same. The Impul one is the only one that really stands out, but i think its for 1.5bar boost.

the Mine's and Nismo (i think its the S-tune one) are very close, almost no difference in the 100% throttle area. the Nismo one is a bit tamer in the partial throttle tuning.
                        Grant

1990 Skyline GTR

Comment

fuel

im not new to the the fuel tuning. but im wondering if anyone here has heard of a ECU tuned by "Kakimoto Racing" (not sure what stage). can i run stock boost levels on a GTR, with a SAFC ll and a power FC tuned properly. or am i going to run into knock issues on 94 or 91 sunoco gas?

Cheers
                          Chris

Comment

Re: fuel

Originally posted by Iceman_cb
                            im not new to the the fuel tuning. but im wondering if anyone here has heard of a ECU tuned by "Kakimoto Racing" (not sure what stage). can i run stock boost levels on a GTR, with a SAFC ll and a power FC tuned properly. or am i going to run into knock issues on 94 or 91 sunoco gas?

Cheers
                            Chris
                            if you have a powerfc you dont need a safc 2 it does allt he fuel tuning itself.

yes you can run stock boost just run the stock map in the power fc.

Comment

ok and it was a typo it was suppose to be SAFC ll or Power FC
                              thanks
                              Cheers

Originally posted by lucky_cefiro

Cheers
                              Chris
                              if you have a powerfc you dont need a safc 2 it does allt he fuel tuning itself.

yes you can run stock boost just run the stock map in the power fc.

Comment

Cheers
                                Chris
                                My PFC tuned GTR is running great on Shell 91 octane at 13 psi boost with intake and exhaust.

I ran into a bad tank of gas from Esso and just knocked my timing back 'til I ran it through and then set it back to a more agressive tune.

Dan
                                sigpic
                                The Beaumont Connection

Comment

Working...
                                X