This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Young And Want A Skyline (GTR)

This post is here for anyone who is young and about to post up a "hi I'm young and want a GTR" thread somewhere on the forum.

So to avoid further drama surrounding the subject, and by the recommendation of a member or two, I have made my response into its own thread in the FAQ section. If you arrive at this post you were either smart enough to find it yourself before posting, or have had your thread locked because you weren't.

Originally posted by CanadianGTR
    Like the riders say... if you're going to kill yourself in/on one machine, you'll kill yourself in/on another. So I guess you might as well have fun doing it. Whether you're in a GTR or a Versa, if you drive like a moron you're going to suffer because of it one way or another.

With that being said, I say go for it and sink or swim. If you can handle it, marvelous. If not, have fun being another statistic and contributing to my firm beliefs in Darwinism.

But be advised that though you may feel that everyone on here is against you and just doesn't want to see you with a GTR, or you think they're jealous, or whatever... they are speaking from experience and couldn't really care less if you got a GTR or a Lambo and drove it straight into a concrete wall, they don't know you... I don't know you... and with your attitude in a powerful car we probably never will.

Unfortunately (or fortunately I guess, depending on what side of it you're on), stereotypes generally aren't just conjured up out of nowhere and are more often than not based on legitimate facts. You're 15, you've been able to see over the steering wheel for what.. 2 years. The most driving experience you have - if any - isn't through traffic of any kind or on any remotely busy streets. You're young, and this funny crap called "testosterone" now surging through your body makes you believe that you're Senna re-incarnated. Trust me though, the same way you will regret thinking you're super-man and picking a fight with some huge guy at school... you will regret thinking you're something you're not behind the wheel of ANY car.

Would you work in a metal foundry with 10 minutes of training? Driving is no different, you're dealing with machines that can kill you... and the only thing that will prevent this is a good attitude and loads of experience; neither of which a 15 year old possesses.

Just make sure that when you do kill yourself in a vehicle, especially if it's an import... and ESPECIALLY if it's a skyline; that you do it in accordance to the two following rules:
    i) don't take anyone else out with you
    ii) don't do anything that will result in the lynch mob (aka, the Police with Media - and therefore public - backing) targeting the import/skyline community.

Cheers.
    Race. Win. Live.

Canada and the Importers/ skyline/ JDM import car owners should make a law banning sales of high performance cars (Skyline, 300zx, RX7, supra, etc.) to anyone under 21. simple as that
    Originally posted by Snow
    They should build an island in the shape of a race track, and then build the track under it. And air condition that b!tch.
    Originally posted by DreadedFist
    If it's not metal its POOP.

Comment

I had my GTR at 18.
      I think it comes down to maturity more than age.
      Race. Win. Live.

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianGTR View Post
        I had my GTR at 18.
        I think it comes down to maturity more than age.
        same for me and I haven't wrapped it around a tree yet.

R32_TDOT are you a communist by chance?

Maturity>Experience

Comment

Mind you there are some things that only experience can help - winter driving, accident avoidance, etc.
          But maturity is what gives you the ability to understand that you AREN'T experienced and to do your best to avoid situations that would require that kind of experience.

It's all about being honest with yourself, don't think you're something you're not. If you're honest with yourself about the level of skill you possess, you should be fine since you won't be over-confident and get in situations that you cannot get out of due to inexperience.
          Race. Win. Live.

Comment

Please add the following:

Just make sure that when you do kill yourself in a vehicle, especially if it's an import... and ESPECIALLY if it's a skyline; that you do it in accordance to the two following rules:
            i) don't take anyone else out with you
            ii) don't do anything that will result in the lynch mob (aka, the Police with Media - and therefore public - backing) targeting the import/skyline community.
            iii) avoid smashing the car up severely (parts cars are hard to come by these days)
            Legend of the red R

Comment

post of a mod list and contact so incase the car is smashed. we know who to contact for those rare parts.
              Biggest selection of Skyline CarbonFiber & FRP Aero in Canada. PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by R32_TDOT View Post
                Canada and the Importers/ skyline/ JDM import car owners should make a law banning sales of high performance cars (Skyline, 300zx, RX7, supra, etc.) to anyone under 21. simple as that
                I've had mine since I was 19, and am a lot smarter with it than the 24 year old retard I know in town with a GTR. Age doesn't equal maturity :hit_head:
                1990 Skyline GT-R - Jet Silver Metallic
                It'll run someday

Comment

no, i aint a commie.. im a nazi :roll:
                  Originally posted by Snow
                  They should build an island in the shape of a race track, and then build the track under it. And air condition that b!tch.
                  Originally posted by DreadedFist
                  If it's not metal its POOP.

Comment

I have to say that this is quite bias, focusing on a stereotypical 15 year old boy... I mean, I am 15, I don't think I'm invincible, I don't act like an idiot and take stupid risks to impress my friends. I understand the (can't stress enough) difference between road and track driving. I know my abilities, and I know I'm still learning.... I've driven before (not just go-karts and video games). I'm not some dumb kid thats going to jump into a car i can't handle, slap on a fat turbo, and wind up dead in a week... I know what I know... And don't go telling me, Experience this and experience that... I know i still need to gain experience but don't call me some dumb, young, juvenile punk..... not that you did..... just inferring

Comment

I'm the same age and I see the point. It's NOT bias, and it's a highlight that some kids here want to kill themselves faster than taking drugs. I mean, there's some guys here (certain ones that use gangsta speak) that think they're buying ladies cars that get 'em girls because of the speed. I understand my place, and I'm not so big on the GT-R personally, its not economically sound, IMO. But I'm EXTREMELY responsible for my actions, meaning that if i did something wrong, I WILL try to fix it. I may not be able to get the license for 2 weeks, but understanding my limits, and what goes into these cars, I KNOW I have to avoid cars of this caliber. GT-R I'll avoid, GTS, maybe....but roughly 80% of the people here IMO, that are let's say, under 17 are total idiots and will do whatever it takes to get a GT-R and will end up dead over their mistake.
                      Originally posted by Shadao
                      All i could do was shake my head and say" Like a fine wine that has aged over the years and was taken care of will be a much nicer drink than one that was bottled yesterday."
                      Again he said, "still though its a 20yr old car"
                      New Civic vs. Old Skyline
                      ---
                      My Ride: 1986 Toyota Cressida

Comment

Originally posted by 32typeM View Post
                        I'm the same age and I see the point. It's NOT bias, and it's a highlight that some kids here want to kill themselves faster than taking drugs. I mean, there's some guys here (certain ones that use gangsta speak) that think they're buying ladies cars that get 'em girls because of the speed. I understand my place, and I'm not so big on the GT-R personally, its not economically sound, IMO. But I'm EXTREMELY responsible for my actions, meaning that if i did something wrong, I WILL try to fix it. I may not be able to get the license for 2 weeks, but understanding my limits, and what goes into these cars, I KNOW I have to avoid cars of this caliber. GT-R I'll avoid, GTS, maybe....but roughly 80% of the people here IMO, that are let's say, under 17 are total idiots and will do whatever it takes to get a GT-R and will end up dead over their mistake.
                        ah... finally some1 mature. Often when I'm on these types of sites (I'm an overall car freak and am on many, many sites) and i mention my age some idiot always argues with me assuming I'm some kid that just wants to look cool and impress people.... pfft I'm the opposite...... you can leave that for the ricers...... :hit newb:

Comment

I'm glad that people out there see the whole picture... well some people do.

The fact is, like anything out there, you will always have two types of people, Those who get it, and those who don't. There are the "kids" that want to be tough, and feel invincible. They don't get it, and i condone you to rip on them..

But then there are the others, who understand that when driving a car, wheather to work or on the track, you will always be at risk. If you understand that completely you will drive with a little more caution.

I have sped, and i have been caught.. Every time i feel like driving fast, i think to myself.. i want to live to see tomorrow, and i don't think 35 secs of speeding is worth hitting a mini-van, killing a family, and spending the rest of your life in jail. (of course thats the worst case scenario)

I think it is all about maturatiy, and once you grow up and realize the world is bigger then whats around you, you get the point and stop being stupid.

So to all those out there who are like me, "younger" (19) i urge you to open your eyes and just smarten up. Don't **** it up for the rest of us.

-Cheers

Comment

i was 16 when i got my first skyline... have owned 5 (4 GST-t's and 1 GTR been built) skylines along with 4 other jdm's (Aristo, MKIII supra, WRX and coming july 1st MKIV Supra). I have never had a speeding ticket or any other fine. So it truly is maturity over age...

I was pulled over once just after picking up the Aristo, was Just "testing the car out". Officer was more interested in the car itself than the speeding violation. asked me to pop the hood and show him all the little do-ma-hickys it had
                            2009 Mercedes C63 AMG. Daily
                            1969 Cooper S. Restored
                            1994 Rover Mini 1460cc, 134whp, 7 port fuel injected w/ITB's, & straight cuts w/ 4.67 gearing

Comment

I think if you're willing to purchase a car such as a Skyline to drive, you're also willing to purchase the responsibility that comes with such a car. To drive a GT-R fast is dumb... especially with the new speed laws in effect. There is nothing better then having the kids at school say, "Is that a SKYLINE!??" but there is nothing worse then your mom saying to the coroner, "In the SKYLINE!!??"

You make your mistakes with your head, and you make decisions with your heart.

If you're going to be a Skyline, whether it be GTS or GT-R, you have to be willing to be responsible for your actions.
                              Just A Small Town Guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X