No announcement yet.

Frankiman's street/track GTR project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you care about it, the whiteline sway bars weight more than cusco. I don't remember how much. Cusco is hollow and white line is solid I think.
    Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
    Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
    Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
    Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
    Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
    White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
    lol

Comment

• Originally posted by NismoS-tune View Post
      It's a cramped up toolshed lol. Well, with some walking room all around. Atleast it's not his parents place I guess.
      yes it is... dude i'm 21 and at university..

Originally posted by NismoS-tune View Post
      If you care about it, the whiteline sway bars weight more than cusco. I don't remember how much. Cusco is hollow and white line is solid I think.
      the whiteline bars and the same dimension as the OEM, but solid instead of hollow, cusco are also hollow

both (cusco and WL) are about the same stiffness even if whiteline is heavier, but it is adjustable though, aaaannnnddd 1/2 the price
      sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

• Originally posted by frankiman View Post
        yes it is... dude i'm 21 and at university..

the whiteline bars and the same dimension as the OEM, but solid instead of hollow, cusco are also hollow

both are about the same thickness even if whiteline is heavier, but it is adjustable though, aaaannnnddd 1/2 the price
        Damn I thought whiteline was 28mm lol.
        Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
        Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
        Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
        Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
        Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
        White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
        lol

Comment

• frank what did you do to get the rear subframe to not sit too high when you installed the solid rear subframe bushings? Did you have some spacers made? I just installed mine and now my subframe sits about an inch higher than stock.

Comment

• Originally posted by NismoS-tune View Post
            Damn I thought whiteline was 28mm lol.
            ^^ i meant stiffness, edited
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by bignate View Post
              frank what did you do to get the rear subframe to not sit too high when you installed the solid rear subframe bushings? Did you have some spacers made? I just installed mine and now my subframe sits about an inch higher than stock.
              i didn't install them, i had them installed last year by autoworx
              sigpic

Comment

• Solid swaybar is better but heavier.

Good swaybars to buy that are adjustable (slide adjustable) on the car and are lighter -

From what I have seen in a magazine on a R34 GTT?, they require relocating of endlinks on lower arm, so swaybars work better. Not sure if they have changed that design or not. When you see what goes into them, can understand the price.

Becareful with poly bushes, as you'll need to regrease them. Make sure you have nipples on poly bushes to do this.
                RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

• Chapter 16 - Themoreworkinprogresshaagettingtired, week4

------------------------------
                  Day 13

so i designed my center caps, since no one makes center caps for work emotion cr kai wheels

then emptied the old dirty dirty oil

and tried to take my used filter off, needed the right tool

this is what it looked like when i finally took it off

i realized the reason it was stuck soooo tightely is that normally, when you take the filter off the engine block, some of the oil drips around where the filter seals, so when you screw the new filter back in it seals along with a bit of oil

but when i changed this filter, the greddy block was totally clean, and i didn't smudge a bit of oil on the new filter's seal, which ended up sealing the filter directly to the metal, making it super tight to take it off

then i designed my tow hook out of cartboard

i made it so it would bolt onto the OEM hook pretty solidly

Day 14 - 15

remember my FAIL custom brake lines...

well i had new ones made by another shop, closer to my home, where the guy actually had the right fittings, and made sure my design was right this time

brake line clusterf**k

then took most of the turbo side piping off
                  and the recirc piping

hello old boost controller, that thing must have been there since ~1993 cuz it was discontinued around that time

looks like the BC harness had a rough time

Day 16

then i found my p/s leak which drove me crazy last year
                  i had the hicas removed, then my p/s pump started to leak, so i had autoworx rebuild it
                  then i was scared it could be the rack&pinion, hence the reason i kept the one from my old GTR even though about 10 people offered to buy it

anyway... the leak was coming from the line going from the p/s reservoir to the rack&pinion, the end of the hose was super cracked and leaking everywhere

so.. progress... slow but steady

and my dad filled up the fridge

good thing for him i don't like beer

so it seems like i didn't do much, but it was my first week at my new job/internship, which i have to drive for 2 hours back and forth to
                  and i dropped by TuboQuip Again to get some more stuff made

and alot more stuff was done concerning the car but not on it..

anyway..one week late.. /week4

week5 resume tomorrow
                  sigpic

Comment

• im digging the custom nissan skyline edition barfridge!

and nice work, I really like the setup. Is the towhook going to emerge through the slits in the lip? and what colour will it be?
                    Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

• actually, its a drug store fridge

and i designed the tow hook according to Hozer's measurements

the color is a secret

if all goes well, i'll have everything going for paint thursday
                      sigpic

Comment

• Ahh yes, figured you got that from him

both sides?
                        Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

• Chapter 17 - Theworkinprogressgotcustomstuff, week5

Day 17-18

i started the evening by taking out my busted power steering line

this line is such a huge PITA to take out because of all the darn brackets,
                          it took much more time than i thought it would take

at first i thought i could only get the rubber soft line changed out..
                          not a chance,
                          so i designed my own solution...

then i measured the lenght of the extentions for my oil cooler lines
                          then had to drop by tuboquip.. again.. to get custom lines made

so i took out the old HKS EVC1 boost controller out, will eventually be for sale in the coming weeks

then i dropped by Canadian Tire and bought some Simple Green car cleaner and degreaser, this thing works absolutely great its incredible

and i took out the charcoal canister

before......

after....
                          i unbolted everything to clean as much of the body as i could

before.....

after.....

overall after....

even cleaned the body outside the engine bay

and the biggest difference imo, is the firewall
                          i took all the brake lines off of it to clean it all,
                          for a white car, it was soooo dirty and looked like crap,
                          now it looks much better

before...

after....

it took 6 rags in total to clean everything, and a couple hours

Day 18

since i'm not home from 6;15am to 5;30pm for my new job, theres no way to go to any shops to get sh1t made or to pick-up sh1t i had ordered a couple weeks ago, (had to leave early to get to tuboquip just before they closed)

so my dad always wanting to help, but i don't let him touch the car, told me he could do the shop stuff for me

my hero..

so he took my cartboard tow hook, went to the welding shop around the corner from my house,
                          and since the guys there only make ornemental iron, and staircases, they don't do precise stuff, and hate to do custom stuff

so they let my dad pick out and cut the metal he needed,
                          my dad took my pattern and cut all the pieces according to it,
                          then assembled it, and got it tac welded by the guys there

then he showed it to me... i was like .,. niiice
                          test fitted it, then did some grinding,
                          and realized my dad had used ½'' plate instead of 9/16'' plate i had designed,
                          so i had to break some of the tacs to fit it, and told him how to fix it,

then the next day, he brought it back fully welded, and it fitted great

Day 19

another custom thing i ''ordered'' 3 weeks !ago and was finally done
                          my dad picked it up for me at another specialty welding shop

new oversized rear brake back plates !! yey baller

i re-used the old busted back plates from my this GTR that i swapped with the good ones from my old GTR

so i had the center pieces cut-out and a new outer plate welded, with the opening lower then normal to fit the conversion brackets for my rear calipers

apparently i asked for 1/8'' plate, which is pretty thick,
                          but i perfectly remember asking for 1/16''

at least it was done, and very well done

again, it was only tac welded to test fit

perfect!..
                          my Garage Saurus rear rotors are 330mm, so i designed the outer ring ID for 340mm, to have the same 5mm clearance around the disc than the OEM plate

then it went back to get fully welded

and while test fitting the plate, i saw that because of the thickness, and the fact that the OEM plate has indentations in it for clearance, and not my custom plates.... the lower control arm was scratching against the plate near the ball joint

so i marked the spot and grinded about 1/32 to 3/64 of the rear of the plates

since this is just normal steel, it already started to rust,
                          so i sanded and cleaned everything, put some primer
                          and used some Duplicolor rust-proof paint on it,
                          couldn't choose between black or silver, so i flipped a coin

should be dry by now...

Day 20

so i picked up everything that tuboquip had had the time to do in 2 days

one of my oil cooler extentions, because i needed a 45deg fitting for the other one which wasn't in stock

and my modded power steering line
                          i had two choices;
                          1. get a brand new OEM one, = $$ and wait time
                          2. go custom, = $$$, very short wait time, bling factor and better fitment

i had the hardline cut after the super dumb bracket, weld a fitting on the end,
                          and had a stainless steel rubber lined line with the end taped
                          i wanted a teflon lined one at first, but they can't be open ended, rubber is fine
                          but tuboquip didn't have small enough T-bolt clamps, but i found some in the garage that my dad had bought as ''fuel injection clamps''
                          it fits perfectly

but, while i was working on the power steering system, i took out my Nismo steering rack bushings

again, another huge PITA job,
                          theres no info about changing these in the GTR service manual, so i had to improvise

the driver side bushing is impossible to take out, but finally did it after maybe an hour

my old bushings weren't really worn, but didn't want to take any chance

because when i took the ones off my old GTR while taking it apart, those bushings were completely spongy and worn out,
                          anyway, the Nismo are much stiffer

then i fitted my custom p/s line and it fitted perfectly \\win//
                          ballllller

/week5

since i just got my first paycheck (omgzorg) and half my tax return, some stuff i getting ordered, heheh

and i'll be sending some stuff for paint this week,
                          and picking up alot of stuff i ordered a while ago

i'll start working on the timing belt this week
                          sigpic

Comment

• dude, this is the best build thread. ever.

1966 Pontiac Beaumont | 1972 Nissan Skyline 2000GT-X | 1990 Nissan Skyline GTS-T Type-M
                            1991 Toyota Celsior C-Type Supercharged | 1991 Toyota Cressida | 2008 GMC Acadia

Comment

• some solid work there frank! good stuff
                              The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

• keep up the good work. all be looking at ur build when i pick my skyline

Comment

Working...
                                X