• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just got the stuff out of my trunk

next week i'm picking up another head and 2 blocks
    sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

• you're picking up two blocks! ive been trying to get rid of one for 3 months!

why picking up so many random parts? just so cheap?
      GTRC-OG

Comment

• yeah, total cheapness

i'll sell one, keep the other as a spare
        sigpic

Comment

• Looks like tons of work went into this.

Comment

• care to give me those cam/valve covers?
            Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

• Spares are fine when they're stock but when they get beefed up, they're too expensive to run spares.
              Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
              Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
              Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
              Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
              Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
              White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
              lol

Comment

• Originally posted by frankiman View Post
                are they Work Emotion CR Kai in 17x9 too?
                i don't if the center diameter changes with the wheels size

because i designed it with my own measurements, Work Wheels USA never answered any of my e-mails
                Mine are 18's, should be the same, right? I can always check with my caliper when the car gets here
                '95 GTR

Comment

• Chapter 19 - Theworkinprogress, week7

------------------------------
                  Day 25

so Mitch came to help me out with my timing belt,
                  and to show off his freshly tuned beast (check out his project thread for more info)

so i got all my new stuff out;
                  -timing belt
                  -tensionner pulley
                  -tensionner spring
                  -tensionner stud
                  -idler pulley

then, because i had told mitch i had all the tools needed, he didn't bring his puller

then i couldn't find mine, lost over half an hour there

then found it, but it was too short, so we messed around for over an hour using different bolts, washers and etc..

then mitch invited some of his friends who live close to my house to come by to check out his car,

while they were talking, i almost died.....

i was grinding a washer just outside my garage, using my washing machine custom crazy grinder, when the grinding wheel blew up

scary as hellllll

but didn't get hurt... luck

then while we were working, mitch's eagle eye spotted that my water pump was in fact an N1 pump and in really good condition

and remember i said i had stock cams in the last chapter?..

well no..

surprise

HKS 264 deg duration 9,5mm lift !!!!! woah

basically, mitch told me my engine was in really really good condition and that i could also have upgraded valvetrain..

it got later and later,
                  and for some reason we could not get the new timing belt on
                  we stopped working after midnight, without the belt on.. so tired,
                  i was 2,5 hours late at work the next day

Day 26

so mitch came back on saturday

in a couple minutes, and a nice idea from mitch, we got in on no problem

but forgot to put the pulley cover on, will have to do it later...

then someone (the ratchet) came by to pickup my old OEM front upper control arms

we started talking.. for about an hour.. maybe more

then my dad comes out, hes like; ''hmm i like the gunmetal better''
                  then my mom comes out, shes like; ''wow, red, now thats my color''

the i was; ''well too bad because mine's white !''

so i got my new HKS EVC-S boost controller out, and we started installing it..

mitch reading the instructions;

then he had to leave for a diner

after he left i kept working;

first i took out my P/S pump

because to setup my p/s oil cooler, i'll need the hicas side of the pump,
                  BUT when autoworx deleted my hicas, they took the fins off the hicas side of the pump

and since mitch is deleting his hicas, and i need a functionnal hicas pump, we worked out we might just trade

then i attacked the headache that is the UltraRacing fender braces

i started by cleaning the frame, then mock where i would need the new hole,
                  then using 3 step drill bits i got a nice hole,
                  the problem is the sheetmetal inside because its at an angle, so its hard to drill through

then i used my stack of rubber to keep the door from falling out while unbolting the hinges

then i found that the OEM bolts for the hinges were a bit short because of the thickness of the brace, so i searched everywhere in my boxes of old bolts for ones that were just a couple mm longer

as you can see, its a real PITA to reach the bolt inside there,
                  and actually, the bolt that came with the brace was too short !
                  and luckily i bought the exact same bolts, but 15mm longer, a couple weeks ago for another application (which i can't remember..)

i tried getting my whole hand in there, but its too big
                  then tried pliers, no
                  then tried a magnet, hell no

finally went with the visegrip option, which finally worked

then as i tightened the bolt, i could feel the inside sheet metal bend, but it never to settle,
                  i feel like its just going to loosen with vibrations

so i'm getting nylon locking nuts and doing it again,

anyways, this is how it looks after install

lets just say that, beeing in engineering, i would have designed the brace quite differently to use existing holes to make it much simpler to install, and i think more functionnal too

this is the e-mail i got back from UltraRacing Canada when i asked them about fitment;
                  Ultra Racing Malaysia tells me that you must drill an additional hole for each of your fender bars. Please let us know how the installation goes and we will update our website to reflect your experience

Day 27

i had a friend do me a great service,
                  professionnaly sand-blasted my brembos
                  super job!

and hes got a nice car too

also picked up a plethora of new vaccum hoses, and small t-bolt clamps to refresh the engine bay and properly install the b/c

ohh and i dropped my coil cover to get machined, should be done tomorrow, eager to see how it will look (crossing fingers), then its going to regroup all its other engine cover brothers and intake pipnig sisters for powder coating

and designed another version of my future center caps

i will eventually have to send those for estimates..

anyway,

/week7

yup the 8 week build will need go into OT

edit; just realized i'm not the first one to thing about machining the coil cover..
                  sigpic

Comment

• Stupid extra small timing belt. The Pitworks timing belt is a good 2-3mm shorter then the belt that was on there, it was a pain to put on.

Comment

• hoooly god, good progress but dude honestly those fender braces hardly seem worth it!!! what a headache e?\h?

looks like its going well thoubh..

one reccomendation.. DONT use clamps on vacuum lines...lol,

i know ur not gonna agree with this because when haig told me not to use clamps on vacuum lines i ignored his instruction... result, the metal edge of the clamp... cuts into the vacuum line, leading to a huge boost leak, and for me, completely un-restricted boost. apparently the best way to do vacuum lines is,

1) measure and cut length desired
                      2) spray WD40 on inside of hose and or outside of pipe to go over (this does 2 things, one its easier to slip the hose on, and 2 when the WD40 dries it makes a bit of a sticky residue... like glueing the hoses on.
                      3) secure hoses using TIE WRAPs only...

ya i know it sounds dumb, but autoworx swears up and down by that method, and after my boost leak im doing it there way.. or i should say, RE-doing it their way lol

also... damn you for finding hidden goodies all the time..lol super lucky!! those are like $700 cams.
                      The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

• most of those small t-bolt clamps are for the SS oil lines, but you're right i was going to use some clamps on the vaccum hoses, i'll try the method you stated, seems logical enough

and the fender braces aren't ~too~ bad, but they were much cheaper than the japanese options

and yeah, i was pretty stoked to find these cams, mitch was jealous my engine was in such good condition
                        that skyline is a gem for the price i paid, seriously
                        sigpic

Comment

• wow frankiman , this is one of the top detailed build threads out there.
                          awesome

Comment

• TEASer

Originally posted by PH_Motorsports View Post
                            wow frankiman , this is one of the top detailed build threads out there.
                            awesome
                            thx man
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by frankiman

edit; just realized i'm not the first one to thing about machining the coil cover..
                              that car is for sale in sylvan lake
                              GTRC-OG

Comment

• love the build btw, but the reason im posting is about your grinding wheel....
                                glad your ok, I seen a buddy of mine grinding a aluminum panel (big no-no) it blew, ad a 3" by 5" section of wheel hit him suqare between the eyes. hes ok but has permanet damage.
                                Come on lotto!!! Daddy needs a whole lotta stuff!

Comment

Working...
                                X