Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nelsonmxmarc 1993 GTSt Type-M Build / Tips-tricks for HCR32 (Skyleezy!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice build! Your car is very similar to mine looks wise, our dashes are even bubbled in the same spot lol.

That finger looks uhh, painful.
    BNR32- Sold
    1998 Evolution V

Comment

• Motorvac is a cleaning machine that cleans out cylinders, etc. I had it done on my cars RB20DET engine 50,000km ago and is still clean under the cam covers. You'll notice the engine feels looser afterward's. At least that's what I noticed.

Compression test should be done when engine is hot due to like you already mentioned, pistons have expanded. Leaking valves are common problem on RB20DET that's done high km. Should reseat all of them when head is off and replace / upgrade valve guides to Tomei at a minimum.
      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

• Well hello good sir, long time no speak!

True story, it should have all been done when the head was pulled, entirely my mistake.

I did my research on the Motorvac and it is just that. Hopefuly it can get rid of some of the clutter in there and maybe the numbers will be evened out across the board. As far as i'm concerned though, the motor is in relatively good shape.. Depending on my numbers at the end of the summer i may decide to pull it. However! In the mean time i have a ported and polished head and a bottom end to play with.. So that may very well go into the gts next spring..
        Check out the GTST Projects page and keep up to date with my build!
        www.nelsonmx.wordpress.com
        Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/NelsonMX
        Any part inquiries can be forwarded to marc@nelsonmx.com

Comment

• That's true, long time no speak.

Response is how violent / quick a engine accelerates or deaccelerates.

Also bigger turbo = less responsive. Smaller turbo = more responsive.

HKS have a hp vs response vs turbo size graph on their website -

Anything bigger than HKS GTSS turbo would be less responsive. HKS GTSS turbo is slightly bigger than stock RB20DET turbo when you look at the specs -

So stock R32 RB20DET seems to be built for response. Just doesn't have the hp.

Stage 1 hybrid stock turbo is the same as HKS GTSS with size of compressor wheel. Exhaust side is different with size of exhaust wheel, but probably similar with A/R. Very responsive turbo.

Stock RB20DET turbo -

42x59 compressor wheel
          .50 A/R compressor housing
          51x43 exhaust wheel
          .4 A/R exhaust housing
          Rated at around 250hp

Stage 1 hybrid stock RB20DET turbo (using stock RB20DET compressor, exhaust housing, TB03 CHRA) -

60 trim t3 compressor wheel
          72 trim t3 shaft
          46.5x60 compressor wheel
          58.9x48.7 exhaust wheel
          RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

• So Almasi was a success! Robin is a GREAT guy to deal with and i am completely satisfied. He did both Tylers (TW)'s GTR and my GTST without a problem. Contrary to all the bad things i hear i have nothing but good things to say..

And so to the numbers!

My first ECU map was designed by Klys for his fathers GTST. Robin said the tune was solid but a bit lean on the low end, and lacked timing in the mid range, but apart from that it drove a solid 240 whp and 189 lbs of tq in my RB20.

After the tune ... Robin was able to mess with the timing and AFR's to get a whopping 270 whp (final run made 262 due to hot temps, but prior to that, 270 was made running cold water over the intake mani) and 244 ft lbs of torque! With a STOCK RB 20 turbo at 14.5 psi.

Didn't break 300 wheel but with the stock turbo in place, i cant say im complaining about the numbers.. From what i hear, the majority of stock RB's run at most 170 rwkw boosted, so about 225 whp.

Happy with my numbers and will be even happier with cams and a rebuilt turbo next spring!

Comment

• Congrats.

Common to see roughly around 180rwkw / 241rwhp at around 11psi with stock turbo.

200rwkw / 270whp is a good result with stock turbo at 14.5psi. But with 30 hp gain, he must have been leaning on engine with the ECU tune to get the numbers and might have backed off to give it some headroom / safety margin like most tuners do.

Should be around 218rwkw+ / 292rwhp with Tomei Poncams. With camgears, up to 11rwkw / 15hp. So 300whp probably is possible with stock turbo.

There's roughly a 15hp difference between stock turbo, rebuilt turbo stage 1 at 12psi.
              RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

• Thanks! Ya im exceeding the limit of the RB20 turbo pretty bad right now, as you can see from the graphs, the boost drop off in the higher rpm (6k plus) is pretty bad..

Next, like you said are cams and cam gears, as well as my rebuilt, hi flowed neo 6 which im hoping will mimick the characteristics of a 2540 ish turbo. Somewhere in there would yield some low spool with journal bearings, but still hold a solid 20 lbs to get me around 370 - 380 with my freshly ported/polished head.

Here are some dyno vids! Couldn't get enough of this, i could literally just sit there all day listening to these pulls..
                Oh and note the sexy off-throttle compressor surge.. mmmmmmmmmmm

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D5TitaAWqDI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D5TitaAWqDI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Robin at work;

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C4LVLeA8NNk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C4LVLeA8NNk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Definitely doesn't do justice to the amount of noise in this place.. its unfreakin believable..

Pikchas;

Electric go-kart

TW

Comment

• Updatesss!

So i've got my license back.. Full of win right there..

I've done 1000 km this week in my newly tuned car and i haven't been able to stop smiling! It's been a great time!!

So what have i been doing lately? .. I actually started producing music.. Ended up buying some amazing monitors, midi board and ordered FL studio 9.1 and have been exploring the world of music! Mostly electronic stuff, dubstep, progressive etc.. Lota fun, and always been something i wanted to venture in, just never had the time.. And well, 3 months with no license gives you lots of free time!

Work wise, seeing as i had no car for the duration due to the impound(s) (another story...), i had no car to produce moulds, and since all my one offs weren't finalized, i had nothing to perfect..

BUT now that has changed!

Chibi lip mould is complete and a one off has been made.. The base mould is complete and is going to be produced by next week so our first chibi carbon lip will be on the car very soon!

N1 carbon hood lips are complete!
                  I'll be doing a write up for those with GTST hoods looking to spice things up. I cut my hood today and with the N1 lip, definitely looks a 100x better IMO.

Carbon din plates are good to go. I have 5 left in a 1x1 pattern with 0 bias (straight up and down checkered) if anyones interested. They're precut to your needs (Top / middle / bottom). I'll also do the appropriate cuts for gauges if you give me the dimensions like francois has done.

And on to my car..

Well, she's doing really good. Very quick after the tune. Very impressed with the powerband and the low end torque improvements.

Have had 1 issue as of late though; small oil drops forming at the bellhousing / block joint. Not the half moon or valve cover seals as ive changed them. I believe it's the rear main. As Skym said, they're a common issue on the RB's and are worth changing when the tranny is removed and all necessary components. Of course, i didnt change it when all this was being done, so now i wreak the benefits of another small seep; 1 drop or so a day, nothing exciting, but still a nuissance..

Apart from that, car runs great!

Pics to come.

Comment

• Cool.

Good ECU tune makes engine feel alive, smooth. Before ECU tune engine feels flat, rough.

My car had similar problem (oil on bellhousing joint) when leaking on exhaust side of cam cover gaskets. Have to retorque them again after certain amount of km. Or slacken off and retorque when reinstalling camcover gasket's. Mark down side of head, shortblock, oil deposits near camcover gasket showed that camcover gasket was leaking.
                    Last edited by Skym; 08-17-2010, 09:53 AM.
                    RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

• Hello hello good sir!

I'll check that out.. I'm actually hoping for cam cover seals as this was my previous 'oil on bellhousing' issue. I'll take your advice and retorque this afternoon!

Another thing i was thinking was that, since the car sat for 3 months, the seals may have been drying up due to next to no oil penetration. Cam covers will be starved of oil as it drains to the bottom of the block, could be they just needed time to expand?

At any rate, the dripping has ceased considerably.

Comment

• Pikchas!

Cutting the GTST hood.. Not as difficult as some people make it out to be.. but a good 35 grit wheel does a good job.. Just go slow not to burn the paint.

And yes, its primed, just to prevent rust/corrosion.

Weight savings! lol

Final product, minus lip.

Lip;

Moar cooling.

Some shots;

Carbon goodies; these din plates are all up for grabs, just give me the location (top, middle, bottom) and ill make the appropriate cuts!

Oh and the chibi lip proto

Comment

• nice job on the hood!

and which one of those plates is mine ? :P
                          sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

• And hello to you.

Looks amazing.

First set of new camcover gasket's I had lasted 10,000km and they leaked. Replaced camcover gasket's due to thinking they were stuffed and new camcover gasket's leaked again. Retorqued screws (found a few that looked like they worked loose near back of head on intake, exhaust side) and haven't had a leaking problem since retorquing them. Trial and error type of way.

Also some run sealant on the half moons, etc, which helps to seal camcover gasket's. And replace the washers under screws with new washers when replacing camcover gasket's.

Another thing I noticed was oil pressure on stock oil pressure gauge drops a bit when camcover gasket's leak.
                            Last edited by Skym; 08-17-2010, 01:47 PM.
                            RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

• Originally posted by Skym View Post
                              Also some run sealant on the half moons, etc, which helps to seal camcover gasket's. And replace the washers under screws with new washers when replacing camcover gasket's.

Another thing I noticed was oil pressure on stock oil pressure gauge drops a bit when camcover gasket's leak.
                              when i took mine off a couple months ago, there was residu of silicone liquid gasket on the half-moon, so i cleaned it and put some new back on the half-moons,
                              and i re-used my old gasket, which was as soft as a brand new one

and i don't see how a camcover gasket leak could lead to a drop in oil pressure,
                              the pump picks up oil from the pan, and a small leak on top of the engine wouldn't change anything down below
                              sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

• My guess is and could be totally wrong, is air got into pump via the oil getting aerated (tiny bubbles) which caused the lower oilpressure.
                                RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Working...
                                X