Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i am 17 and own a GTR well maintained and work my fuckin nuts off for it aswell
    Fraser Valley Imports.ca
    (The Detailer)
    We aren't just Importers, we are Owners

Bike Project: Susie - 05 Suzuki GSXR 600
    Car Project: In The Making

Comment

Originally posted by caliber676 View Post
      Lets stir up some more controversy. How old do you have to be to not be labeled "young"? Like when do you older folk cap it off and say they are good enough to be driving one of these things? just thought it would be a good discussion.
      R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
      http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

Originally posted by caliber676 View Post
        Lets stir up some more controversy. How old do you have to be to not be labeled "young"? Like when do you older folk cap it off and say they are good enough to be driving one of these things? just thought it would be a good discussion.
        In most provinces I think insurance usually gets lower around age 25 so they would likely do that if statistically it made sense. So there's one way to look at it.

Honestly in my opinion it makes sense for drivers to start off with a cheaper, slower vehicle when they are just learning to drive. Most kids going to school shouldn't be able to afford a Skyline plus gas (they aren't civics) and maintenance when they are just 16 years old even if they have a job on the side. Either you are getting help financially and won't appreciate it as much or you're busting your ass and not enjoying your youth properly so you can pay for a car. Save your money, enjoy life, go to post secondary, buy a skyline when you have a full time job and be happy. There's my advice.

Comment

[QUOTE=Wolfattak;341666]Hey It's the only way I can 'legally' drive in BC, Since it's private property. And when did i say i do it safely. I drive it hard. Hitting nearly 100km (flat-out) on the strait bits and getting sideways in the corners. I have taught myself how to e-brake turn on this one hairpin. I have also crashed it once (only cosmetic damage... You learn A LOT more by making a mistake and paying the price, then getting lucky 1 000 000 times). I've driven there since i was about 12 or 13 (can't quite remember)

Side Note: the corolla is mine. It is 100% stock. 5 speed. I bought it from my aunt for $800 and it sits on her property, uninsured. It will be on the road once i get my licence... for dd.

side note x2: I will never drive like that on the streets, however I'm not saying I'll be a perfect driver...

side note x3: I don't mean to sound cocky with this post.

Wow. That sounds like a promising young prospect to own a skyline. Yay, anoher kid who thinks hes a rally driver. But i'm not gonna rip on you. i was the exact same way. Then i bought a brand new car, and you realize how much stuff REALLY COSTS. AND DONT respond and say i'm just a 30 yr old who doesnt get it, and gee mister i'll be good, i'm responsible. I'm 18. Owning a skyline or other rhd car is a responsibility, so dont be the ass that gets the 25 yr rule passed. (not directed at you, to evryone in general)

Comment

Originally posted by ryangiggs11 View Post
            Wow. That sounds like a promising young prospect to own a skyline. Yay, anoher kid who thinks hes a rally driver. But i'm not gonna rip on you. i was the exact same way. Then i bought a brand new car, and you realize how much stuff REALLY COSTS. AND DONT respond and say i'm just a 30 yr old who doesnt get it, and gee mister i'll be good, i'm responsible. I'm 18. Owning a skyline or other rhd car is a responsibility, so dont be the ass that gets the 25 yr rule passed. (not directed at you, to evryone in general)
            correction... owning any car is a privilege ;-)... beside, who said i wanted to get a skyline as my first car... er... 2nd

Edit: This thread is getting stupid and ridiculous. As far as kids owning high powered cars... I believe it's all down to the kid. Most kid's Should stay away from powerful cars but not all... whatever... my point has been lost in replying to comments and i'm done posting in this thread.. I honestly think it's useless. It's turning into a bashing free for all... I've made comments that I look back on and thought made me sound like an idiot... ah well... I have my opinion, you all have your's

Comment

Hey you want a skyline, I know someone who's selling a gtr somewhere around 18K. Runs well and has 130k on the clock. 98% Stock.
              No build thread.
              1991 nissan
              El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Im 17 years old and currently looking at a Skyline. I can fully say that these cars are death traps with idiots behind the wheel. Ive seen too many kids at my school get brand new performance cars like TT supras, Skylines and Camaros and crash them literally a week later. I went the other route with my car, I bought something cheap, reliable and not very performance oriented. A 1973 super beetle which I restored with my mother. So I learned how to drive a somewhat dangerous car responsibly(Ill admit ive done stupid **** in it, but if my car was any faster that stupid **** could have escalated into death, totaling the car, injuring others) Now I can safely say I could get behind the wheel of a GTR and have the common sense and knowledge to drive it in a safe manner. I wouldn't say age is a big factor, but more of maturity level. Kids at my age take their licenses/cars/lifes for granted and do stupid **** like drink and drive and speed at retarded speeds on busy roads. Its easier to learn to drive properly once and not crash a car you worked hard for, than crash and learn your lesson the hard way.
                06 WRX

Comment

Everyone acts stupid when they start driving. Period. We've all been young, we've all had our fun. And after it's time to grow up, and look back on how stupid it was.

I remember driving like a retard when I first started driving. Speeding, rallying, drifting, you name it I did it. All I can say is good thing I wasn't in a GTR, or I wouldn't be here.

Point is everyone goes through that phase, and if you wanna come out of it alive, I suggest just driving an old beater. We all have life lessons to learn, and driving responsibly is one of them. You always have to remember your not the only one on the road.
                  R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
                  http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

Originally posted by R32_TDOT View Post
                    Canada and the Importers/ skyline/ JDM import car owners should make a law banning sales of high performance cars (Skyline, 300zx, RX7, supra, etc.) to anyone under 21. simple as that
                    Originally posted by bignate View Post
                    same for me and I haven't wrapped it around a tree yet.

R32_TDOT are you a communist by chance?

Maturity>Experience
                    Hes not a commie, hes a 19 year old with a ninja, and a slight 'hipocritacizer' (harold and kumar reference). sorry for the bashing
                    Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

communist? LOL... i hate commies more then anything... what i meant was that there are more young idiots driving those cars i mentioned then there are young drivers who are mature enough to drive em, therefore the majority wins so a ban would be beneficial in my opinion.... i see idiots at the tim hortons on renforth near michael power high school with mommy and daddy's fast cars like a blue m3 i see all the time driving like he thinks he's tough ****, a guy with a red corvette, a couple of GTIs with fartcan exhausts, an STI or 2, and a shitload of rice civics or preludes.... theres always cops in that area now.. theres a middle school nearby and renforth near that timmies is a long straight so they like to race there... ive made up my mind, if i was in control these tools would be riding the ttc till they were 30...

(btw i sold that ninja a long time ago, decided to stop riding and try other things )
                      Originally posted by Snow
                      They should build an island in the shape of a race track, and then build the track under it. And air condition that b!tch.
                      Originally posted by DreadedFist
                      If it's not metal its POOP.

Comment

I think the emphasis needs to be put on punishing the bad drivers not banning certain vehicles. These kind of kids are going to be a danger on the roads whether they are driving a GTR or a smart car, it doesn t matter. These people tend to get what they desreve eventually anyways, I'm sure anybody on here who had a rocky driving record at a young age can attest to that. Sky high insurance rates and loss of license/vehicles should be enough of a deterrent you'd think.

Comment

just to check if were on the same page, im talking about banning anyone under 21 from driving certain cars ( for example , a few would be 180,200,240sx, supra, rx7/rx8, skylines ( all of em , gtst ,gtr etc), impreza (wrx sti, 2.5rs etc), VW gti, any BMW M#(3,5,6) etc you get the idea..
                          They should build an island in the shape of a race track, and then build the track under it. And air condition that b!tch.

Comment

I know what you were saying, but I disagree. You cant blame the car when its the driver at fault. Think about it this way, Murderers kill people with knives sometimes, so should we ban butchers from having knives?

Comment

As I have stated numerous times, I know many people under 21 who are more than capable of owning fast cars. Ban people from owning an M3? They'll swap an M engine into a 318i. Ban people from 240's and they'd all find Starions and other cheap RWD **** in the meantime. How about LS1 Camaros, Firebirds, Corvettes, trucks, etc?

I've seen 17 year old kids do more stupid crap in gutless half ton chevies that need no power to spin the tires than I've seen kids be idiots in GTRs
                              1990 Skyline GT-R - Jet Silver Metallic
                              It'll run someday

Comment

or just raise minimum age to 21 to get your drivers license..

Comment

Working...
                                X