No announcement yet.

Frankiman's street/track GTR project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alright, first its hard for you guys to answer my problem because you are missing a bunch of valuable info, because i'm still late in my chapters

1. i've installed brand new splitfire coilpacks month ago, that were first tested on Mitch's car and ran perfectly
    2. none of my injectors are leaking
    3. during its recent 2 week stay at autoworx 2 important things were done;
    3,1 the whole intake system was pressurized for a leak test, minor leaks were corrected by tightening clamps (so no vac leaks)
    3,2 my old school bovs on the passenger side were remove, 1 flange was plugged, a stock recirc vavle was mounted on the 2nd flange and connected back into the recirc Y pipe
    4, the atmo BOV have absolutely no link to this problem, since everything happens off boost

so i went to Almasi tonight (lucky me i booked an appointment 2 weeks ago)

we found the problem

at first i explained my problem to Robin, he really couldn't see what the problem could be
    i clearly explained everything that happened and when it would happen, even showed him the pics of the backfire and small blue flame (not a backfire, much worst)
    he really like the blue flame one

then we put the car on the dyno, check its idle, then kept the RPMs at 3000
    it kept doing "Pff Pff Pff" and such
    AFRs were all over the place, good thing the UEGO wideband is digital because a mechanical needle wouldn't have been able to move fast enough

then put it in gear and tried to keep it at 100km/h, again Pff Pff

so then he checked the consult on his laptop and adjusted the TPS to the correct voltage

after that was done, he just kept staring at the screen

after a couple minutes, he went; WTF

the O2 sensor signals were completely f'ed up
    so he went to check on the connectors,

the O2 sensors were swapped !

i mean, the connectors are different so you can't swap them this way, the actual sending units were each plugged into the other's dump pipe

un-ending loop

when sensor#1 was rich, it told sensor#2's injectors to go lean
    then sensor#2 runs lean, and tells sensor#1's injectors to go rich
    thus the un-ending loop

thats why i had a blue flame constantly coming out the back
    3 cylinders were running FULL RICH
    3 cylinders were running FULL LEAN
    thus creating the perfect mixture of air/fuel in the exhaust

and a blue flame is very bad news, it means the flame is extremely hot, much hotter than an orange flame

so instead of physically swapping the O2 sensor back, which would have taken the whole afternoon, Robin simply swapped the pin-out in the ECU board, which took 2 minutes for the exact same result

another thing i already knew and everyone should know, is that the GTR ECU uses the O2 signal only when its under ~4lbs of boost, after that it only relies on MAF and boost signal

thats why i had absolutely no problem under boost

then fired the car back up, and it ran PERFECTLY

did a couple pulls and ALL my issues were gone, and almost no more turbo shuffling either
    YEY

than Robin re-tuned the car with the proper boost controller settings i was doing from the passenger seat

the bad news, driving 500+km with that issue hasn't been good on the engine, either the spark plugs are destroyed (completely burnt or fooled)
    or as Robin said, maybe i melted something in the cat back (HKS Legal) and made it much more restrictive
    or i messed up the compression in some cylinders,

..because i lost 26whp
    even with a much MUCH better looking boost curve

then i drove home, and i must say the car has NEVER ran so well, its unbeleivable how smooth it is now,

and another good things is that i'm still doing small backfires, but the usual "correct" way, just when i let off the gas completely,
    thats because of the decat
    then it immediatly goes to full lean like it should

i love my car !!!!!!!!!

about the LED thing,

i put it on last year, must never have talked about it
    its simply a 60cm LED/silicon strip, spliced into the driver side brake light
    the strip is stuck right between both taillights, but is hidden by the edge of the trunk
    so you from the back all you see is a glowing red line, not the individual LEDs
    this is my way of having a 3rd brake lights, even if its still not legal (3rd brake light needs to be higher than the tailights)
    even Haig @autoworx was impressed by my idea

pics from last year
    (they were hard to dig up)

Last edited by frankiman; 09-15-2010, 11:23 PM.
    sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

• oh also... on my way home i went to see my girlfriend while she was shopping for her birthday present (bought her a coat),
      then i drove hey to her car on the other side on the mall

pulled a HUGE drift ken block style and scared the crap out of her... hehe so much fun, am i happy now? oh yeah
      sigpic

Comment

• drift in a mall is not cool frank!
        Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

• you're missing the point, my car is running so good now I CAN drift again
          sigpic

Comment

• LOL i disagree drift in a parking lot is inevitable when you're so happy your car is running... its almost a natural occuring event in the skyline world!!!
            oh and can i just say it!, please can i?!..... I CALLED IT... LOL... I KNEW IT WAS O2'S!!

im glad its all worked out now bud, we're ready for a good day tomorrow.
            The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

• Originally posted by frankiman View Post
              i love my car !!!!!!!!!
              Best post yet!
              Thanks for the info on the LED strip
              1991 Silver Skyline R32 GT-R - SOLD You will be sorely missed girl :'(

Comment

• Looking sweet! Blue and white combo FTW

Which o2 sensor goes to which dump pipe? I just kind of threw mine in without thinking too

Comment

• thx man

i not too sure, check the shop manual
                  sigpic

Comment

• Im picturing your car with a carbon front lip, carbon hood lip, and a carbon hood! o m g

Comment

• Originally posted by frankiman View Post

about the LED thing,

i put it on last year, must never have talked about it
                      its simply a 60cm LED/silicon strip, spliced into the driver side brake light
                      the strip is stuck right between both taillights, but is hidden by the edge of the trunk
                      so you from the back all you see is a glowing red line, not the individual LEDs
                      this is my way of having a 3rd brake lights, even if its still not legal (3rd brake light needs to be higher than the tailights)
                      Who told you you needed a third brake light? In Quebec the Highway Traffic Act does not require you to have one.

Originally posted by Quebec Highway Traffic Act
                      Lights and lamps.

215. Every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or a moped, must carry at least

(1) two single or double white headlights, at the same height, one on each side of the vertical centreline and as far apart as practicable;

(2) two amber or white parking lights, on the front, at the same height, one on each side of the vertical centreline and as far apart as practicable;

(3) two red parking lights, at the rear, at the same height, one on each side of the vertical centreline and as far apart as practicable;

(3.1) two red reflectors at the rear, at the same height, one on each side of the vertical centreline and as far apart as practicable;

(4) two red stop lights, at the rear, at the same height, one on each side of the vertical centreline and as far apart as practicable;

(5) two amber or white turn-signal lights, on the front, at the same height, one on each side of the vertical centreline and as far apart as practicable;

(6) two red or amber turn-signal lights, at the rear, at the same height, one on each side of the vertical centreline and as far apart as practicable;

(7) one amber side marker lamp and one amber side reflector on each side, as far forward as practicable;

(8) one red side marker lamp and one red side reflector on each side, as far to the rear as practicable;

(9) a white back-up light at the rear;

(10) a white light illuminating the rear registration plate.
                      R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
                      http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

• No no, I know it's here. somewhere. You must have it.
                        Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

• Last edited by frankiman; 09-17-2010, 11:08 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• ultraride part2

sigpic

Comment

• awesome photos, im lovin it!! did u get some good footage off ur GP?
                              The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

• yup, but i placed it a bit too high on the driver's quarter window
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X