No announcement yet.

jdmtypes rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well good news car has finally had the final tune done, thanks to Nersan, Cam and Anthony for all the help to get the car to the point it's at . Dyno sheet will be posted soon as I get it :biggrin:. Thanks guys for all your hard work some good numbers.
    ........Nothing but Good Times........

Comment

hey man car looks great, and i love the r33 grill ( is it a oem R33 grill or a TBO aftermarket grill?) and how come u dident mount the GTR grill badge???? I plan on the same look.....but im going carbon fiber.....
      1989 R32 Skyline GTR

Comment

He covered a few pages ago what kind of a grill it is.
        1990 Skyline GT-R - Jet Silver Metallic
        It'll run someday

Comment

Your build looks awesome man cant wait to see what numbers you get.
          1990 GT-R Nismo Edition #532

Comment

Ok... for any of you that are interested in the DYNO run numbers, check out the MOD DATABASE thread in the GTR TECH SECTION it's on the second page.

Now for not so good news.............

I only got about 15mins in the car an the #5 cylinder ring lands packed it in, had no indication that anything was going wrong. Just one second all is fine an the next major trouble, I will rebuild this motor but not sure how long it will take that's the joy of playing with the fast toys....

Comment

I am crying on the inside for you.....

What machine shop was that again ?

EDIT:
              Still, 570 HP/460 ft.lbs is decent @ 25 PSI......very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by JD74 View Post
                I am crying on the inside for you.....

What machine shop was that again ?

EDIT:
                Still, 570 HP/460 ft.lbs is decent @ 25 PSI......very nice.
                Thanks for the kind words, I dont blame BEL for the ring land problems, I think it was just bad luck. Was nice to at least drive the car, was nice to feel that pull once the turbos spooled. A well life goes on it's just a motor, things could be worse .

Comment

I think I saw you car in person at the shop I won't mention (in case it matters to you). That was a fully build engine right? Would you say the break-in was the problem or machining issues? I'd like to know this because I'm in the same direction for the shop and machine shop so I'd like to know what to watch for or change from what you did.
                  Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
                  Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
                  Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
                  Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
                  Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
                  White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
                  lol

Comment

Originally posted by jdmtypes View Post
                    Thanks for the kind words, I dont blame BEL for the ring land problems, I think it was just bad luck. Was nice to at least drive the car, was nice to feel that pull once the turbos spooled. A well life goes on it's just a motor, things could be worse .

Hey Ar, one thing (please don't think I am rubbing salt into the wound).....

That power curve was not very sexy at all.

Your 2871's seemed to start to spool up at a decent RPM, but fell off WAY early. Was that due to the tune ? Boost Control ? or some serious restriction in the exhaust ? That graph should be pretty flat up over 7500 RPM with the Cams you have and those 2871's....., no ? less than a 750 RPM range of semi-flat (max-ish) TQ before it falls right off.......It must have been a scary ride on the streets with violent spoolup....but fun

Comment

Originally posted by JD74 View Post
                      Hey Ar, one thing (please don't think I am rubbing salt into the wound).....

That power curve was not very sexy at all.

Your 2871's seemed to start to spool up at a decent RPM, but fell off WAY early. Was that due to the tune ? Boost Control ? or some serious restriction in the exhaust ? That graph should be pretty flat up over 7500 RPM with the Cams you have and those 2871's....., no ? less than a 750 RPM range of semi-flat (max-ish) TQ before it falls right off.......It must have been a scary ride on the streets with violent spoolup....but fun
                      I'm not sure why the power curve is the way it is, it most likely is due to the turbos as they are a big. They did have issues with my HKS boost controler an had to change it out as it wasnt holding boost properly. As for the exhaust it 's free flowing from the dumps back so I cant see that causing issues. It has a narrow power band range but I knew that would be the case before the tune was every done. I need to get the motor apart an see where it all went wrong, all the plugs are still good just a bit folued no signs of detonation. The best person to ask about the power curve would be Cam I thinks, as he tuned the car. The car was quick, but I really didnt get to put it through its paces as it seems to have a hate on for me. When I get the motor apart I will post up my findings for everyone so hopefully I can prevent this from happening to someone else.

Comment

Hmm.. I'm going to Lightspeed this week to tune my car (vipec) with 2860R-5s and an HKS EVC boost controller (the same you were using but couldn't figure out?).

If your tune was rich, I can't understand why the tuner is blamed.
                        Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
                        Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
                        Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
                        Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
                        Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
                        White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
                        lol

Comment

Arleigh,
                          Heartfelt sympathy on the engine news. Merde. Those are big numbers though. The car must have felt like a slingshot!

R32king guy, this thread is cleaned up so jdmtypes can review his build without reading your helpful contributions. If you want to start a tuner critque thread, please be my guest, but be aware that we have a very low tolerance for baseless drivel at GTRC.

Dan
                          sigpic
                          The Beaumont Connection

Comment

Am I missing something here, who is blaming the tuner and the problem with the boost controller was the stepping motor was not working. Frank, a word of advice, Cam hates those boost controllers with a passion, at one point I thought he was going to pop a vessel. His advice is to go with a manual controller, set it for whatever boost and leave it. Let your foot do the limiting.
                            I'm only half evil

Comment

Bummer.. another rebuilt 26 bites the dust What kind of pistons are they? I know Bel has that torque plate so it seems kind of strange the ring lands took a sh!t. 25 psi is quite a bit but any forged piston should be able to handle it no? What are the symptoms of cooked ring lands?

Comment

It looks like he is running stock N1 internals. So, those pistons are cast aluminum.

Originally posted by Ben @ JNS Imports View Post
                                Bummer.. another rebuilt 26 bites the dust What kind of pistons are they? I know Bel has that torque plate so it seems kind of strange the ring lands took a sh!t. 25 psi is quite a bit but any forged piston should be able to handle it no? What are the symptoms of cooked ring lands?

Comment

Working...
                                X