No announcement yet.

mitch32 rebuild/winter project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just labor, no parts were installed, they opened the rear rack and welded it
    and another 90$ 2 weeks later went the pump died on me, got it rebuilt with a gasket kit haig had in stock, and he kept the car 4 days, checking it 2~3 times a day before going through with it just to make sure it wasnt theyre fault when modding it 2 weeks prior
    but now my steering rack is leaking, good thing i kept my old one from my previous GTR, one of the only parts i kept, and by far the part i got the most demand for

hey, while you got the engine out, you should check for that loose steering problem you told me about a while ago,
    id suggest checking the 2 steering rack bushings and the steering's coupler bushings

i have 2 spare couplers if you need one, an OEM one, and a solid aluminum one
    and the steering rack bushings off my old GTR just disintegrated when i took them off
    sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

The bushings look good I put my weight on the rack and the bushings didn't feel loose. Your gonna laugh but the steering wheel bolt was loose. It's all fixed now, just tighted the nut.

Yea, I'm not welding my rack. Thats a trick that Autoworx does but not my cup of tea.

I'll just buy a lock-out bar, and mod the pump myself or just loop the lines together.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

heh, really just a stupid nut.

Comment

i might buy a bar too, i don't really trust that welding thing
            sigpic

Comment

I'm sure it works out to being the same thing. I might go with the Tomei Hicas-Lock that way I can turn it off and on if I want and not affect the power steering system or throw hicas codes. I have a lot more work to do on the car, so only time will tell. I have extensive work to still do on the motor, this week boring/honing/line-bore and balancing should be done. I'll post of pictures of the whole process. First we are balancing pistons/rods, then putting rods/pistons/crank/crank pulley/washers/etc... (everything minus the damper and the flywheel/clutch) gonna balance that by drilling the crank, then put the clutch/flywheel on and balance that by drilling the flywheel, and then attach the damper and see if it balances (which it should since ATi Dampers are zero-balanced).

Comment

looks great!

Comment

UPDATE: So the short block is done. The block was acid dipped, magnflux, honed, bored, and line honed. The pistons/rods/crank were balanced, then the machinist bolted on the flywheel and it was balanced also. I don't have a clutch yet so that wasn't balanced(can't decide on what to get, probably an OS Giken Twin Plate or ATS Carbonetics since a few people have ruined the Nismo Twin while racing, clutch is being ordered tomorrow!). The rods/pistons/crank are theoretically balanced for 11000rpm which this motor will never ever see EVER! The drain back at the back of the motor was ported hardcore, which is why I think the external drainback is useless (that is if you have another crankcase vent). The drain at the back is easily equal to 4 dash-10AN Lines in terms of cross-sectional area. Anyways the block is looking nice, I'm truly impressed with **** (I removed the name because I had engine failure and dont want to blame the person as of yet) workmanship. When he told me he didn't plastigauge I was worried but when he explained it and showed me his work I understood why people say he's the best (he used to be work with Ray Barton, world class engine builder!).

On a similar note the head is going to be ported/flowbenched starting hopefully monday.

Here's some pictures:

Comment

Happy Birthday Mitch

any update on the motor?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by frankiman View Post
                      Happy Birthday Mitch

any update on the motor?
                      Thanks man!

Yea, the engine should be back in the car fairly soon. Machining is completely done, and the head is finished (minus valve clearances). I have nothing left to order, just waiting to receive the last of my parts. I'll take some pictures soon and start putting posting (it won't be as organized as your thread frankiman!!! I envy your thread, its like a story book).

Comment

update this mitch! what happened?
                        The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

Bad s**t went down, had a failure on the dyno. I don't want to point the finger at anyone so I'm not posting here what happened or why it happened until I figure it out. It was a sad day yesterday. It wasn't too bad, just I need to remove the head and find out what happened. I might have a defective part somewhere.

Josh you know what happened, but don't post it here please. I will post what happened and what the cause was as soon as I know. I don't want to say this happened and it happened because of this, and then someone ask who built the motor or head. Its no ones fault as far as I can tell right now. The head will be off and I'll inspect it on monday/tuesday.

Comment

k, kudoos bud, keep us updated, good luck!
                            The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

Thanks, I keep everyone updated. Just a quick update though on the dyno I did ~405rwhp at 15psi on a mustang dyno @ 8000rpm. So not all is bad, had amazing numbers for a low-mount twin setup @ 15psi (at 20psi or more I'll hopefully do around 500rwhp).

Comment

Hey Mitch, nice numbers, sorry to hear something went wrong Hopefully you'll be able to get it back together soon.
                                Originally posted by Z-Tuned
                                Next question is: should I stroke it??
                                Originally posted by Wingnut
                                Yes, but leave the engine alone.

Comment

Working...
                                X