Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nelsonmxmarc 1993 GTSt Type-M Build / Tips-tricks for HCR32 (Skyleezy!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mitch32 View Post
    Fowler is best bang for buck IMO.

For the fuel pump I just wired straight from the battery to the pump with a relay, the relay gets signal from the original wires which I'm gonna change (to signal from ecu). I used 12gauge wire.
    Nice! Where'd you get the relay? I think i'll go about doing this too, since i've already relocated the battery to the trunk.. Basically just cut the white wire out of the equation, splice in a relay, and feed the 12 gauge to the battery +? Any reason to redo the ground, or is the ground in the circuit with the ECU?
    Check out the GTST Projects page and keep up to date with my build!
    www.nelsonmx.wordpress.com
    Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/NelsonMX
    Any part inquiries can be forwarded to marc@nelsonmx.com

Comment

• Originally posted by nelsonmxmarc View Post
      Adam, check this out! I did a somewhat, laments description here;

Frank, doesnt move one bit. Had the pedal to the floor, didn't deflect one bit. In fact, the bolt head imprinted itself into the BMC body. You can't dismiss the fact that it's 1/8th inch steel, and that the direction of force is contrary to the direction of its mount (Behind, and in a straight line). Had it been only the single piece of metal from the strut bolt down, then of course you'd see flex. The added benefit of structural support in the opposing direction adds the proper rigidity; it's effin stiff.

Mac book has no 'paint', or at least a substitute for paint, that i can see. So no drawings! But you get the point.
      ah, interesting. well once everything is said and done ill have somone press on the brakes and ill watch to see how much play there is.(my brakes F*CKING sucked big time before. but i have new pads,rotors,calipers, and booster. so we will see..)
      - Adam

:
      http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/44846-project-nashzilla-r32-gt-t-neo.html

Comment

• Every time i see this thread, im like "sweet type M build" then i scroll and see your mangled finger and i vomit. it gets me everytime
        Jordie Lewis
        1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

• Originally posted by S13Jordie View Post
          Every time i see this thread, im like "sweet type M build" then i scroll and see your mangled finger and i vomit. it gets me everytime
          Lmao
          Gets me everytime too.. A learned lesson in auto mechanics!.. Tip - click the final page rather than the thread name hahah

Comment

• EPIC build thread!!

I really like what you did with the dash bubbles as I have them in the exact same spot. Just another item added on the things to do list

Comment

• Originally posted by esh View Post
              EPIC build thread!!

I really like what you did with the dash bubbles as I have them in the exact same spot. Just another item added on the things to do list
              Thanks man!

Lol, ya they're a real nuisance ... Has been my best solution to date. And i've tried EVERYTHING.. Glue, heat gun, the works..

Comment

• Did you take the photo's of back of dash with the holes???

Originally posted by nelsonmxmarc View Post
                My only question - namely to Skym who sees more hi-flowing and stock rebuilds on that side of the world, is, is the rb20 turbo capable of seeing that power. I understand the compressor trim/AR may not be sufficient enough, nor would it flow the appropriate CFM's just based on the snail size.. I dont want to run into cavitation problems.. Any input here?
                Highflow turbo is port, polishing housings, backcutting edge of blades to increase flow. Hence the name highflow.

It's real name is a hybrid turbo as it uses TB03 Garrett (same as VG30DET turbo CHRA) and VG30DET compressor, exhaust wheels inside machined RB20DET compressor, exhaust housings. The other option is a T4E compressor wheel in same compressor housing but it can surge if you don't drive correctly (exhaust housing A/R not big enough).

VG30DET version of RB20DET hybrid turbo is a extremely responsive turbo on motorway (similar to factory turbo but more violent in mid range). Most violent / respoonsive import I've been in (R32 GTS-T) had this hybrid turbo, tune to suit and factory intake, exhaust, SMIC.

With stock ECU maps + podfilter, modified stock BOV, 3" exhaust from dumppipe, 2500rpm is 0 on boost gauge, 3500rpm is 11psi (due to running a lean 13.5:1? A/F ratio), 7500rpm is 12psi (revlimiter limits the power turbo can produce) with safe 11.8:1 A/F ratio. Produced around 203rwhp.

These are other cars I've seen with same hybrid RB20DET turbo -

1.) At 1bar, 290rwhp with stock RB20DET engine, custom FMIC, Bosch 044 fuelpump, stock ECU retune, 3" exhaust from turbo (bellmouth type dumppipe). With autotrans, 268rwhp at 1bar. That's with 12.4:1? A/F ratio on equivalent to 98 octane gas downunder, so leaning on engine with ECU tune. But I think it was too lean with high exhaust temps, as turbo seals on exhaust side failed.

2.) RB20DET engine, Link G1 ECU (map sensor), 550cc RX7 injectors (have to change caps to alter spray pattern as spray pattern is wrong for petrol engine), fuelpump, adjustable camgears, FMIC, 3" exhaust from turbo, 16psi and result was 315rwhp. No mention of boost controller, but assume there was one.

With Tomei Poncams, adjustable camgears, 320rwhp should be easy to achieve with MAF sensor.

If you want a similar turbo, non ballbearing 80's version of VG30DET turbo (I think Nissan Leopard has the ballbearing, 90's version) is the same turbo but has bigger A/R housings. Not as responsive as the Hybrid RB20DET turbo, but get to full boost around the same rpm.

These hybrid turbo's are alot more reliable that the ballbearing versions due to most of the faults have been fixed.
                Last edited by Skym; 02-04-2011, 02:18 PM.
                RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

• Thanks for the info!

See as you stated, bb is no match for a properly balanced shaft and journal setup in terms of response.

Ive come to the cross roads and i BELIEVE this will yield the ultimate setup for both response and power..

TB03 CHRA, 360 degree GReddy thrust bearings (journal), RB25 exhaust housing, RB20 compressor housing, with steel wheels to match. I'd have to speak more to Herman about the trim and inducer/exducer recommendations for this but i think that this would create an ideal match between power and response.. Especially with the tomei poncams and front facing plenum.

Ideas about pairing the 25 exhaust to an rb 20 compressor housing?

Edit; and as you said, hybrid version of both vg30/rb20 is the tb03 chra and ported/enlarged housings correct?
                  Last edited by nelsonmxmarc; 02-04-2011, 02:16 PM.

Comment

• I've had both on my cars engine (factory, hybrid). Hybrid turbo just hauls at half throttle. It's so violent / responsive, you feel like you blank out. Factory turbo is similar, but not as violent / responsive.

On R35GTR turbo's I noticed they went back to non ballbearing turbo's. Probably due to failures with the ballbearing versions on N1 R34GTR prototype at Nurburgring. I know they had 3x turbo failures during 24hour race but none on R35GTR with 24hour race in Japan.

Stock RB20 turbo -

T3 55 trim compressor wheel (from research)
                    Compressor wheel 42x59
                    Compressor housing .50 A/R
                    Exhaust wheel 51x43
                    Exhaust housing .4 A/R
                    Around 250hp

Hybrid stock RB20 turbo -

TB03 CHRA
                    60 trim T3 compressor wheel
                    72 trim T3 shaft
                    Compressor wheel 46.5x60
                    Exhaust wheel 58.9x48.7

When looking at HKS turbo specs, similar T3 60 trim compressor wheel on GTSS turbo is good for around 280ps / 280 US hp, but exhaust A/R is different, exhaust wheel size is bigger on hybrid turbo. Seen some rate hybrid RB20 turbo at around 320hp or similar to HKS25/30 turbo.

Boring out housings for bigger wheels changes the Area (where compressor or exhaust wheel goes) / Radius of intake to that housing or known a A/R.

A turbo spec I want to try is the 66mm stock RB25DET turbo compressor wheel, RB25DET turbo compressor housing, RB25DET turbo 90 degree elbow, RB25DET turbo exhaust housing with TB03 CHRA core, VG30DET (hybrid RB20 turbo) exhaust wheel. Hopefully best of both worlds, power, response.
                    Last edited by Skym; 02-04-2011, 03:10 PM.
                    RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

• A turbo spec I want to try is the 66mm stock RB25DET turbo compressor wheel, RB25DET compressor housing, RB25DET 90 degree elbow, RB25DET exhaust housing with TB03 CHRA core, VG30DET exhaust wheel. Best of both worlds, power, response.
                      That was the other option.. But VG30 wheel cant be much different in trim/size than rb25? Maybe a bit bigger.. Any info on trim/inducer/exducer on that size wheel? I have an rb25 turbo that's blown to pieces, i might as well swap CHRA on that, especially since i gasket match and ported the bell mouth..

Comment

• RB25DET stock turbo -

Compressor wheel 48x66
                        Compressor housing .60 A/R
                        Exhaust wheel 51x43
                        Exhaust housing .5 A/R
                        Around 300hp

On HKS website they have a response vs hp chart -

HKS GTSS is the most responsive turbo (similar spec to hybrid RB20DET turbo). So Mines R34GTR could be more responsive, but sacrifice hp.

Then look at specs of the turbo's mentioned on that response vs hp chart -

Last edited by Skym; 02-04-2011, 03:33 PM.
                        RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

• Looking good Marc! Glad to see that A/C is gone. Welcome to the no accessories club. Keep up the good work

Comment

• Originally posted by t-bag View Post
                            Looking good Marc! Glad to see that A/C is gone. Welcome to the no accessories club. Keep up the good work
                            I had an epiphany last summer - with no licence, i was forced to ride my bicycle around like a 7 year old girl.. It had no AC.. I survived.

haha

Thanks man, she's coming along.. Been too busy with other stuff to pay much attention lately..

Full engine rebuild gasket kit came from Nissan the other day, just awaiting my replacement head studs from Joe @ PHR and then the motor is back in the car.

Toying the idea of a cage, but i'm concerned about the weight above all else. Actually, writing this makes me realize i really don't care about getting hurt, so it's actually pushing me towards going through with it .. lol Going to have to look into getting a pipe bender as a few people have asked for cages in the area.. So that's some more grounds for Nelsonmx ! Which is already too busy.. so fml.

Comment

• my buddies hava bender and prob could make you a cage cheap..when you come down..well go see them..(its closer to montreal way) and well see there drift cars and builds etc..etc

Originally posted by nelsonmxmarc View Post
                              I had an epiphany last summer - with no licence, i was forced to ride my bicycle around like a 7 year old girl.. It had no AC.. I survived.

haha

Thanks man, she's coming along.. Been too busy with other stuff to pay much attention lately..

Full engine rebuild gasket kit came from Nissan the other day, just awaiting my replacement head studs from Joe @ PHR and then the motor is back in the car.

Toying the idea of a cage, but i'm concerned about the weight above all else. Actually, writing this makes me realize i really don't care about getting hurt, so it's actually pushing me towards going through with it .. lol Going to have to look into getting a pipe bender as a few people have asked for cages in the area.. So that's some more grounds for Nelsonmx ! Which is already too busy.. so fml.

Comment

• Originally posted by trickey1991 View Post
                                my buddies hava bender and prob could make you a cage cheap..when you come down..well go see them..(its closer to montreal way) and well see there drift cars and builds etc..etc
                                Sick! I'm down to check it out. Thing is, besides the obvious like cams and gaskets, the rest of this car is built from the ground up by me at my shop.. And due to customer interest in custom cages, i wouldn't mind getting my hands on some tubing to play with and start to fab them up. I've been using my project car to launch my company's "Car sector" r&d, and so far so good! Wouldn't mind trying it out :P

Comment

Working...
                                X