X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnyjohnny View Post
    Hi All,

New R33 GTS-T owner in Oakville, and going through the insurance process. I have a clean record and am 39 yrs old, and have been declined at Aviva Pilot, RBC, and Co-Operators so far. RBC was also asking for the original Vehicle Importation form, before they eventually just said 'no'. I had the brokers actually read the underwriter's rules and confirmed that they would not insure RHD vehicles.

Also talked with Transport Canada and Insurance Bureau of Canada to learn how it works, to make sure the underwriters who were denying the coverage were in fact following their own rules. Each underwriter submits a "rulebook" to IBC stating what they will, and will not insure. If this is approved by IBC, then those are the rules they follow. This gets updated twice yearly, so changes can come relatively fast, and don't need to be publicized.

Haven't heard back from my local State Farm agent yet, but will probably end up going with Facility, which is expensive even with my record and risk rating :-(

Hey Ross(i think that was your name?)
    state farm should work, I'm with statefarm on my r33...my agent didn't know what the car was as it's their first and only RHD i guess that they've done...but anyway, it was pretty easy, but I had an existing policy with them so that may have an affect...if you want to, send me a PM and i'll give you my state farm agent's number if your local agent won't do it.
    R33 GTS-25T

Comment

• Just got a voicemail from the local State Farm agent, who said they will no longer insure RHD cars on new policies. Haven't spoken with the rep yet, so I don't know if SF has submitted a new rule to the Insurance Board in the last couple of months.
      '93 R33 Gts25T Inked Art Car - SOLD

See the Sharpie makeover, and other inked cars from around the world
      at www.inkedartcars.com

Comment

Just got a voicemail from the local State Farm agent, who said they will no longer insure RHD cars on new policies. Haven't spoken with the rep yet, so I don't know if SF has submitted a new rule to the Insurance Board in the last couple of months.
        Wow 39 with a clean record and you cant get insurance, that is unbelievable. Is the car modded or are they saying no purely because it is a RHD?
        1994 R32 GT-R V-Spec II

Originally posted by aN4rk1
        Like frig, is it really that hard to spell properly on the "internetz"?? I don't know whether these guys just choose to spell like that or don't know HOW to spell...either way...WTF?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nismoist View Post
          Wow 39 with a clean record and you cant get insurance, that is unbelievable. Is the car modded or are they saying no purely because it is a RHD?
          Purely due to RHD. Ended up going with Facility - more $$$ but at least I've got it on the road now. RBC Insurance said they *could* insurance a RHD car, but needed the original CBSA Vehical Importation form to process the application. Since I did not import the vehicle, I didn't have this and they wouldn't move forward. I talked with a CBSA guy and he said it was stupid, since the form is only valid for 45 days, and the car had been in the country for at least 6 months (and had been registered/insured).

Anyways, just glad it's on the road, and hope others have an easier time.

at www.inkedartcars.com

Comment

Purely due to RHD. Ended up going with Facility - more $$$ but at least I've got it on the road now. RBC Insurance said they *could* insurance a RHD car, but needed the original CBSA Vehical Importation form to process the application. Since I did not import the vehicle, I didn't have this and they wouldn't move forward. I talked with a CBSA guy and he said it was stupid, since the form is only valid for 45 days, and the car had been in the country for at least 6 months (and had been registered/insured).

Anyways, just glad it's on the road, and hope others have an easier time.
            did u tell facility of ur mods at least? or no?

Comment

• this BS insurance problem really pisses me off

it killed the RHD market in the GTA

Comment

• Originally posted by Driftacular
                did u tell facility of ur mods at least? or no?
                My broker asked, but in a very quiet, 'relaxed' manner. I told them that the car was basically stock (basically true - has an AM filter pod and intake pipe), and that my mods would be relatively minor (also basically true, at least for the next 6 weeks )

at www.inkedartcars.com

Comment

• My insurance is through formerly ing insurance. My vine was made in bc when it was imported and with full coverage including fire/theft and windshield detuctable I pay $900 per year. And I'm 33 with a clean driving record.

The only thing I had to provide was motor size, bc vin, and a photo ofthe car.

Comment

• Well, a buddy of mine aged 20 w/ a +10km ticket managed to get insurance on his EVOII through a company for around $130/month! Sounded like a sweet deal to me compared to the rate of around $330/month that I pay on my Celica GT-Four (considering that I'm 19) without any tickets or claims and I'm bundled with my parent's vehicles and house insurance.

Anyway, I call the same agent and after giving all the info and such I get quoted $400/month I asked if it was high because I wasn't in my 20's yet, and what would it be if I waited 'till next year? The reply "yeah being in your 20's helps, it would come to around $380 next year."

Now I say that "I'm friends with a customer of yours who is registered with a very similar vehicle, but his rate is significantly lower than what you just gave me. Does maybe the fact that his is a four door and mine is a coupe make that much of a difference?" He replies "Yeah, well the Celica is a very sporty car and because it's a coupe it would be quite a bit higher in insured value."

So even though the EVO has a good 10hp more on the GT-Four, the two extra doors are worth $270/month! I wonder if the same rules apply to a Smart For-Two?

It's not like I can't afford the insurance that I have now, but I think it's stupid that I have to pay that much more just because I'm short a couple hinges. I mean do these people not think that I have better things I could do with this money other than line their greedy ass pockets?

I think it's about time for an insurance reform in Ontario, there's too many people with clean driving records who just happen to fit a stereotype that fleeces them like a sheep.

Comment

• Not sure if he can help you out, but give Gary Chin at NACORA (broker name) a call.
                      905 940 8585
                      Race. Win. Live.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanadianGTR View Post
                        Not sure if he can help you out, but give Gary Chin at NACORA (broker name) a call.
                        905 940 8585
                        Sweet, I will check it out! My broker is a family friend, but she can't go against her guidelines, but if I can get a better quote from somewhere else I could either get her to check it out, or I will jump ship if she can't offer anything competitive.

Comment

• the insurance company i use for my skyline and family car is intact insurance..try giving them a call

Comment

• Originally posted by CanadianGTR View Post
                            Not sure if he can help you out, but give Gary Chin at NACORA (broker name) a call.
                            905 940 8585
                            I called Gary and he has informed me that he does not insure RHD vehicles. He has had about four people call him in the last few days and was curious why everyone keeps calling him.

So to save you guys a call, Gary can not insure RHD vehicles.
                            1992 Nissan Skyline GT-R - For Sale http://forums.gtrcanada.com/cars-sale/42338-92-gt-r-sale-kitchener.html

Comment

• if your in the Ottawa area try Bradley's Insurance out of stittsville

Comment

• I just found a wonderful woman who will insure RHD vehicles on a case by case scenario.*edited by admin* Tell her that Corey sent you and you should be on your way.

But she wanted to make it clear that it's not guaranteed. But she will help the best she can. She saved me a bunch of money.
                                1992 Nissan Skyline GT-R - For Sale http://forums.gtrcanada.com/cars-sale/42338-92-gt-r-sale-kitchener.html

Comment

Working...
                                X