This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by quadracer111 View Post
    Why is ride quality going to change? Im not like most guys here, this car is my DD, I don't care about braking, acceleration, ect. I could put 25'' wheels on this thing and it will still out brake, handle, and out accel. a plane jane honda civic.

Wow... That s14 is just sex on wheels.. The s14 kouki is my favorite silvia/240 by far... You lucky guy you.
    Each of your Rota DPT will weight 18.9 lbs (non forged and cheap; so kinda scary. Cheap + Lightweight = less strong; quality of finish is different.

Volks CE28N weights 15lbs (forged and pricey)
    $$$ + Lightweight = good buy for its price

The decision is yours man! Good luck!

Comment

Why is ride quality going to change? Im not like most guys here, this car is my DD, I don't care about braking, acceleration, ect. I could put 25'' wheels on this thing and it will still out brake, handle, and out accel. a plane jane honda civic.
      Bigger wheels equals smaller sidewalls on tires. The smaller the sidewall, the less cusion there is going to be. Stock tire size sidewalls are 55's on gtst's, which offer plenty of cushion, and let you get away with running over a pothole at full speed because you didn't see it in the dark. A 30 or 35 tire isn't going to cushion imperfection as much. It's also easier to bend a wheel with lower profile tires, if you hit a pothole that you don't see or something like that, there's less tire to protect the wheel.

Bigger, heavier wheels will make a noticable difference to handling, and a semi-noticable difference to acceleration, depending on just how heavy they are. If you were to put 45 pound chrome dubs on your car, it would be noticably slower (and uggggly, lol)

That's my 2 cents.

Source: In high school, my friend had a ranger. He put huuuge chrome wheels on it. It was slow before, but somehow managed to be even slower afterwards. He also saw a noticable decrease in fuel economy. They weighed something like 47 pounds a piece or something retarded like taht.

Now this all goes out the window if the 18's you are putting on are lighter than your stock wheels. Yes, narrower sidewalls wont protect the wheel as well, but should improve handling feel. Stock 55 sidewalls are wallowy. If that's even a word? :P

edit: You drive a skyline, I think you're full of **** if you say that you don't care about acceleration or braking. DD or not ;D If you didn't care about those things, you would have purchased a perfectly reasonable Kia.

Comment

Stop, you're sounding like an elitist while giving me aneurysms.

Read on rim size and tire wall thickness before you make yourself sound like a total idiot. Stock trim honda will out-do w/e you listed if you slapped a 25 (impossible) or even a 19 on your car.

On topic, I find 17's to fit the R32's the best. 18 seems always too big for the car, however I've seen maybe a handful (if that) 18"s done well on R32's.

fact: buddy (lurks this forum) went from 19"s to 17"s and noticed a large difference in handling, accel/brake.

Mostly to do w/ his tire wall thickness since we went from thin walls to slightly fatter walls, as well as large weight savings per wheel. That 1" radius makes a huge difference in inertia also.

Comment

• 17x8 +19 all round with 8mm spacers in the rear 235/40/17 yoko sdrives
          Next year i want some 17x9 in the front and 18x10 in the rear

'91 skyline gtst

Comment

• Originally posted by flipridah17 View Post
            Each of your Rota DPT will weight 18.9 lbs (non forged and cheap; so kinda scary. Cheap + Lightweight = less strong; quality of finish is different.

Volks CE28N weights 15lbs (forged and pricey)
            $$$ + Lightweight = good buy for its price

The decision is yours man! Good luck!
            Thanks, its my DD, so I am not to concerned about weight of the wheels, plus its my first car ect. So I think no matter what size of wheels I put on it will be to fast...
            Originally posted by DreadedFist View Post
            Bigger wheels equals smaller sidewalls on tires. The smaller the sidewall, the less cusion there is going to be. Stock tire size sidewalls are 55's on gtst's, which offer plenty of cushion, and let you get away with running over a pothole at full speed because you didn't see it in the dark. A 30 or 35 tire isn't going to cushion imperfection as much. It's also easier to bend a wheel with lower profile tires, if you hit a pothole that you don't see or something like that, there's less tire to protect the wheel.

Bigger, heavier wheels will make a noticable difference to handling, and a semi-noticable difference to acceleration, depending on just how heavy they are. If you were to put 45 pound chrome dubs on your car, it would be noticably slower (and uggggly, lol)

That's my 2 cents.

Source: In high school, my friend had a ranger. He put huuuge chrome wheels on it. It was slow before, but somehow managed to be even slower afterwards. He also saw a noticable decrease in fuel economy. They weighed something like 47 pounds a piece or something retarded like taht.

Now this all goes out the window if the 18's you are putting on are lighter than your stock wheels. Yes, narrower sidewalls wont protect the wheel as well, but should improve handling feel. Stock 55 sidewalls are wallowy. If that's even a word? :P

edit: You drive a skyline, I think you're full of **** if you say that you don't care about acceleration or braking. DD or not ;D If you didn't care about those things, you would have purchased a perfectly reasonable Kia.
            Thanks for explaining that... Sure I care about that stuff, but its not on the top of my list, again, DD and first car come into play here
            Originally posted by M13 View Post
            Stop, you're sounding like an elitist while giving me aneurysms.

Read on rim size and tire wall thickness before you make yourself sound like a total idiot. Stock trim honda will out-do w/e you listed if you slapped a 25 (impossible) or even a 19 on your car.

On topic, I find 17's to fit the R32's the best. 18 seems always too big for the car, however I've seen maybe a handful (if that) 18"s done well on R32's.

fact: buddy (lurks this forum) went from 19"s to 17"s and noticed a large difference in handling, accel/brake.

Mostly to do w/ his tire wall thickness since we went from thin walls to slightly fatter walls, as well as large weight savings per wheel. That 1" radius makes a huge difference in inertia also.
            Chill, I was joking. I will say it again, first car and dd... If my car is as slow as a honda civic so be it, its still enough because its my first car. I was mainly considering 18's because the wheels I am looking at come in the perfect size...
            BNR32- Sold
            1998 Evolution V

Comment

Wow... That s14 is just sex on wheels.. The s14 kouki is my favorite silvia/240 by far... You lucky guy you.
              lol thanks.....
              GTS4-R

Comment

• Wheels all installed

After some research I decided to go with the Nissan 350z touring 18" v.2 spec wheels for my Skyline, also hoping that the HICAS won't interfere with the rear set which it didn't . Specs are as follows
                Front
                Size: 18x8.0
                Offset: +30mm
                Weight: 24.4
                Tire: 225/45/18

Rear
                Size: 18x8.5
                Offset: +33mm
                Weight: 25.8
                Tire: 245/45/18

Skyline is a 93 GTS-T which I picked up about 2 years ago and is my summer ride that i'm slowly building.
                I went with a Sumitomo Rubber all around which is High Performance rated. Overall the wheels look good and I still need to get some coil overs for it but should sit pretty nice.

I may have to go with red for my calipers they could use some make up ,lol .

Comment

• 17X9 - 17X8 Work Wizardry

Fronts are 17x8 and rears are 17x9, 3-piece, tires are 215/45r17, wheels are light as f*ck, don't have a scale to get an exact weight, but the shipping weight was 30 pounds for 2 wheels...you do the math.

Had to get some new coilovers to fit these.. was thinking about getting some spacers and doing a fender roll, but for now I'm content.

....as for the monster truck in the back, Texas. enough said.

Comment

• ^where did you get that gtst emblem?
                    1992 R32 GTS-T Type M

Comment

• All the badges came with the car when I bought it, so I no idea!

Comment

• Got some advan sa3r's 17x9 +42 with 245's all around. What size spacers should I consider on getting to fit/make flush on a r32 gts-t (stock fenders).
                        My R32 GTS-T 'Swagger Wagon' Build : http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/63889-jareds-swagger-wagon-90-r32-gts-t-rb20-build.html

Comment

• something in the range of a 20-25 mm spacer
                          sigpic

Originally posted by m_melen
                          ...it woulda been safer if his harness were made of jello

Comment

• Flush on stock fenders, you would need an effective offset of about +30 to +35.
                            Little rolling would require a +30 to +20.
                            Anything less then +20 your going to need a pull on the fenders.

All dependant on camber though. I like my tires stood up straight, not to much rear camber so the above situations reflect that.
                            Jesse
                            1990 HCR32
                            2006 Chev Silverado

Comment

• Originally posted by frontside View Post
                              All the badges came with the car when I bought it, so I no idea!
                              cool car. hope to see it driving around lethbridge sometime.
                              RB25 Powered RWD GT-R

Owner for Turtle Garage Hicas Delete Systems

Comment

• Looking to get some work xd-9's and don't know what fitment to get on my r32 gts-t. I was thinking 18x8 in front and 18x9 in the back but I don't know much about wheel fitment so I'm not sure what offset to get or anything. I don't want to have to roll or pull my fenders so preferably on stock body. Any suggestions? Thanks!

EDIT: Would 18x9 all round with 20 offset fit? I'm assuming it would need a pull and a roll but I'm not too sure.
                                Last edited by Gregonater; 09-22-2010, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X