Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if anybody as any other insurance companies they can refer me too, i would really appreciate it

Comment

re-vinning is the way to go

hey guys

i had the same problems with my 180sx i use to drive

however, the icbc now re-vins imported cars again, effective june 2 2007

they use to do this about 2 years back but stopped doing so

the cost was $500 and the turnaround time was about 2-3 weeks, however, i live out in the middle of nowhere and an inspector has to come personally see the car and take info

after i got canadian vins for my 180sx. anybody i called was willing to isnure me, and my rates were down almost 1000 from my previous company

worth every penny imo

this is what ill be doing with my gtr this year.

call the icb, they have an option for re-vins applications

once you speak to someone or leave your info, they wil send you a re-vin request form

you fill it out and fax it back to them

one week later, investigator william serianous (sp), who is in charge of doing all re-vin investgations in the gta and golden horseshoe, came down, and took all the cars info down, a few pics, and some general information.

he was a super nice guy, he actually loves cars and is considering importing an older mg or something of that nature, i forget exactly what, from the U.K.

he is a 20 some odd year veteran with the opp aswell

after he is done at your place, he goes back to his office and begins the process of making your new vin

the new vin will show up about one weekl later, and is registered with the icb, and mto, and a special investigation number is stamped into the strut tower in the engine bay, so if the car is ever stolen, its on their files, and makes it easier to distinguish once found

he will come back down to your place and put in the new vins himself so you dont have to do anything

after that, your ready to rock and roll

he will also leave you a re-vin information sheet that shows the cars info, why the car was re-vinned, ect ect ect

ill try to dig up his phone number and the icb's extension number

Comment

just a quick exmaple to show you how easy this process made insuring an rhd vehcicle

when i first bought my 180sx almost 2 years ago, i called around everywhere for insurance and pretty much everyone said no

one company, detenbeck insurance brokers, said no
        it would have been convenient to have them since they are located 5 mins from my house

after i got my canadian vins, i tried them again, and about 45 mins later i was legally driving my newly insured 180sx, at a much lower rate too (granted i went from g2 to g1 at the time, whic contributed to the rate drop)

they knew the car was rhd, they knew it was slightly modified.

i even drove it there and parked right out fornt of my agents window, so she saw it as it stood

didnt have any problems

Comment

i would really like to get the number or website where i can get this form. if you can.

Comment

They don't do re-vinning in Ontario.

Living here you just have to suck it up. If you're young, or have tickets, etc. you ARE going to pay a lot to insure one of these.
            Maybe go buy a Sunfire for a couple years and build some history and experience with a company IN YOUR OWN NAME. Having insurance under parents, then switching to a Skyline on your own........forget it.

Ontario highways are bad enough without someone learning to drive on one of these things.......

Personally, I don't have a problem with that, but I don't want to start a war with my opinion.

Just FYI - This thread is "Insurance for Ontarians" lol

BC is WAAAAAYYY different
            '89 GTST - SOLD
            '92 GTR
            '94 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD LWB
            '12 Mazda3 Sport Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by RixR32 View Post
              They don't do re-vinning in Ontario.

Living here you just have to suck it up. If you're young, or have tickets, etc. you ARE going to pay a lot to insure one of these.
              Maybe go buy a Sunfire for a couple years and build some history and experience with a company IN YOUR OWN NAME. Having insurance under parents, then switching to a Skyline on your own........forget it.

Ontario highways are bad enough without someone learning to drive on one of these things.......

Personally, I don't have a problem with that, but I don't want to start a war with my opinion.

Just FYI - This thread is "Insurance for Ontarians" lol

BC is WAAAAAYYY different

They do re-vin in ontario. Matty is FROM ontario AND his 180sx was RE-Vinned IN ONTARIO, through the process he described.

I'm sure we can arrange the new owner of his 180sx, who is a member of this forum, to scan a copy of his re-vin paper-work if you still contest this.

kthanxbye.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky_cefiro View Post
                They do re-vin in ontario. Matty is FROM ontario AND his 180sx was RE-Vinned IN ONTARIO, through the process he described.

I'm sure we can arrange the new owner of his 180sx, who is a member of this forum, to scan a copy of his re-vin paper-work if you still contest this.

kthanxbye.

Well he was talking about ICBC stuff.....so what would I assume? BC, seeing as he doesn't have a location filled in:roll:

Also, I was told by the MTO, in April, that they DON'T re-vin as it's not necessary, they just do the override. This is coming directly from the manager of the Sarnia MTO office, even after calling Kingston. I had asked SPECIFICALLY if this was possible

But hell, they change things so much....who knows now

Makes it hard to try and post helpful info when nobody knows jack **** about their job.

Or is he talking re-vinning thru BC, then registering in Ont with THAT vin? I'm confused now, but not suprised if someone knows more about this than the ACTUAL MTO EMPLOYEES.
                '89 GTST - SOLD
                '92 GTR

Comment

IBC = insurance bureau of canada.
                  Canada’s trusted source for property and casualty (P&C) insurance knowledge, resources and advocacy

Also he states in his first post GTA and GOLDEN HORSESHOE indicating ontario. And he also states they started the re-vins in june 2 2007.

the MTO is rediculous, It wasn't even a year ago that they said they could no longer register JDM vehicles because the vin's wouldn't go into there system.

I'm not even going to get into how rediculous trying to get electric vehicle regulations was for a prototype electric scooter.

And he is talking about having the re-vin done in ontario, as he has had it done. I am currently looking into the process for myself, and am just waiting for a call back from IBC this week.

Comment

thanks for the support matt

yes tey do re-vins in ontario, i just had one done about 3 months ago

the new owner of my old car will attest to this

they just started doing this again recently (june 2)

the second i get my gtr im having it done again, since they change there minds alot at the ibc

let me know how it works out matt

matt, i called the toronto ontario number listed here

i aske dbaout re-vin applications and they put me through to the lady in charge, but shes never in her office

so you gotta push the pace, i left a message, but kept calling till i got her

Comment

Thanks for clearing it up, I guess my info is old..

Is that something they're doing at peoples request only, or for all non-NA VIN's now?

Nice to know if I import another.

But hey they'll probley change it again, right...:roll:
                      '89 GTST - SOLD
                      '92 GTR

Comment

Lant & co. Brokers.

They are located in stoufville. They insure classic automobiles and high interest automobiles aged 14-24years. which is what skyline drivers need. you need to get your car apraised costs $150.

Comment

Originally posted by Boost213 View Post
                          Lant & co. Brokers.

They are located in stoufville. They insure classic automobiles and high interest automobiles aged 14-24years. which is what skyline drivers need. you need to get your car apraised costs $150.

http://www.lant-ins.ca/index.php
                          Are there special age requirements for their policies with regards to classic autos?
                          As far as I know, silver wheels and most other special policies are either 25+ or have a minimum driving experience required (10 years usually).
                          Race. Win. Live.

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianGTR View Post
                            Are there special age requirements for their policies with regards to classic autos?
                            As far as I know, silver wheels and most other special policies are either 25+ or have a minimum driving experience required (10 years usually).
                            Yes. 10 years continuous driving experience is a requirement. (Which kind of enforces an age requirement of at least 26 in Ontario...)
                            Another is that they require that you provide proof of insurance of another vehicle (but not necessarily insured through them) which is your "daily driver".
                            1991 GTI-R
                            2006 Maxima SE Elite 6spd

"Your race car should be easier and more pleasant to drive than your street car. If it isn't, then someone is doing something wrong."
                            -- Carroll Smith (1932-2003)

Comment

dont feel badd.. i got quto 10,800$ a year for my bike and car.. that only plpd no colision

1991 gtr and 2006 yamaha R6s

Comment

Originally posted by Nightfly View Post
                                dont feel badd.. i got quto 10,800$ a year for my bike and car.. that only plpd no colision

1991 gtr and 2006 yamaha R6s
                                wow! hey you're in timmins, i don't think there are many GTR's up north in ontario we should have a northern meet some time.

oh and what insurance company is that?
                                Tџяϊsмø

Comment

Working...
                                X