• Show
Clear All

• Law of Murphy at Play for This Daily Driver BNR32

INDEX
    First Drive
    Interior Refresh Pt. 1
    Murphy Strikes Again!
    Winter Update- ARC, 100K, Tints
    Pur Auto is Awesome!: Timing Belt, Water Pump, Ignition Harness, HSD Coilovers, etc.
    Big Update! Coilovers Installed, JUN Front Lip, Top Secret Rear Diffuser, Brakes, Summer Wheels Back On.
    Speaker Install
    Moving Day!
    Yellowjacket Coilpacks Installed
    New MAFs and Intakes
    Slow Roll Detail
    Interior Refresh II
    Blacked Out Headlights
    Winter Haul
    Alternator In, Some Engine Bling, Working Car Makes Me Sing
    It's All in the Details
    HKS Kansai Tow Hook
    Brake Lines, Custom Downpipe, Black Work XD9s
    Interior Refresh III
    New Wheels: Work S1R + Kics Lugs

Move Aside Skyline, the Mazda 3 is Here
    Alternator Change...Again. Show Season
    Minor Update
    R34 Badges - Fresh!

Valve Covers Repainted
    VLED Bulbs Installed in Gauge Cluster
    Sock Monkey?
    Show Season Prep
    Synapse BOVs, Front End Repaint, Craft Square Mirrors
    2015 Parts Haul, Craft Square Mirror Install, DNBK Artwork
    Whiteline Sways, HKS IC Pipes, Interior Refresh IV
    Nismo Trunk Bar, 3M Clear Bra, 780 Tuners Opener
    Mishimoto Rad Install, New Oil Pressure Sender, Illmotion 2015
    YJA Addiction
    New Test Pipe and Fujitsubo Equal Length Downpipe
    ZLEDS Custom LED Taillight Install, Prepping for a Big Build
    Build Time!
    Interior Refresh IV

I'm sitting here trying to think of a proper way to introduce my car, and my story. I think it goes a little something like this: You know how they say that GTR ownership is a headache sometimes? Well my headache begun well before I even took ownership of my car haha. If you like reading, then read on players!

This is the first car that I can truly call "mine". Long before I was even able to drive, I dreamed about owning a 'tuner car'. I read all the import car magazines, watched all the videos, but never had money to buy a car. My favourite car growing up through my teen years was the S15 Silvia. So naturally I followed the 240sx scene for a while. I first started driving my parents' cars ('98 and '09 Corollas) for a while, and finally in 4th year university I was able to save enough cash for a project 240sx...kinda. It was an endeavour I took on with a friend, so we split the cost of the car as well as parts. The car was a total POS, but it ran, and had potential. Unfortunately we weren't making enough funds fast enough to see any real progress of the car, and since I was going away for boot camp, we sold it.

When I got posted to Cold Lake, my friend and I split on a '95 Ford Explorer 2 Door. When I got posted out, the car just sat in a lot, until we returned for 2 weeks, 5 months later. See below picture for fate of vehicle.

Now when the Skylines were first being imported into Canada and driven on the street, I won't lie. I said to myself, "The only reason I would give that car a second glance is because I know what it is. It looks out-dated, it's old, it's only O.K.". However, after seeing the car a few more times, I found myself staring at parked Skylines for 10 minutes, taking in each vent, curve, and line the car possessed. Hell whudayknow, I'm in love! I dreamt about owning it, even making a 'mod list' of how I would want my fictional GTR. Yeah, I'm a loser, but don't tell me some of you guys haven't done that too! Fast forward 5 years, I've graduated from school and I have a career that pays me enough. I hear about RightDrive and how they offer a turn-key car. Warranty, safetied, e-tested, certified, cool!

I opened up my "portal" with Mike at RightDrive back in December '09 while I was back on Christmas leave. Being in the military, I move around a lot, so timing was key to the acquisition of this car. It wasn't until the beginning of May that I was sent a car profile for a black R32 GTR that really caught my eye and fitted my budget. Based on a few exterior pics and a brief description, I pulled the trigger and my bid was sealed. The car's ETA was July 3rd, and since I was in Ontario for the summer, it was perfect timing. I was working in Borden and needed a car to get around base and drive back home to Toronto on weekends. Unfortunately the ETA got pushed a couple of weeks, then a couple of more weeks, and a couple of weeks ended up turning into months due to shipping delays.
    I already started buying parts for a car I don't even have yet! Not pictured: leather shift/e-brake boot with red stiching; Top Secret style rear diffuser from C-Unit

Shitty deal, but Mike kept me satisfied by providing me with a loaner car. I switched between a few cars, the last one being the Cima. The car is cursed. Leaving the dealership with the car, I got a speeding ticket in about 15 minutes on Hwy 7 (which I thought was unfair since I was going the same speed as the car next to me). On top of that, I activated my bank loan for the car back in July, so I was paying interest on a car that wasn't even in my possession yet. So Mike agreed to take the cost of the interest from my loan off the price of the car. Not bad. It's mid-September and the GTR still hasn't reached Canadian shores.

OEM CD Changer!!!

I was posted out of CFB Borden, Ont., and got posted to CFB Bagotville (2 hours north of Quebec City). A major inconvenience caused by a delay in shipping. October arrives, and so does my GTR. I planned a trip back to Toronto (12 hours of driving) on Thanksgiving weekend so I could pick up the GTR and see my family for the holiday. Day before I leave, I'm told that the car isn't ready yet. Another headache because I made an appointment to get a Compustar Pro installed on the same day I was supposed to pick up the car. I went ahead with the trip anyway since I already made too many plans. I paid a visit to RightDrive and I finally got to see my car in the flesh. After months of waiting, I could actually touch it and sit in it. Alas, it was not mine to take home yet. So I talked to Mike and asked him to communicate with the alarm installer that day, and perhaps they could arrange an install date prior to me picking up the car.
    Love at first sight

End of October- the car is finally prepped and ready for me to pick her up. Being so far away, there was a huge difficulty in getting to Toronto and back in one weekend. Mike offered a tow to Montreal where I could swap the loaner car with my GTR, but the tow costed way too much, so I had no choice but to do the drive once more. There was some mis-communication between RightDrive and the alarm installer, so the alarm never got installed, and I planned to take the car there after I picked it up.

I packed my bag, and prepped the car for another long drive. I left town to start the first leg of my drive to Quebec City. This road connecting the two cities was covered in snow, with more wet stuff coming down. I drove about 75km out, everything going pretty smoothly, until the shitty summer tires on the Cima lost grip and the car started fishtailing on the highway! I tried to correct by modulating the throttle and counter steering a little bit. No dice, I let off the throttle, but the oscillations got worse and worse. I slid off the road and flew into a 2m deep ditch with huge jagged rocks. ****. This could not be happening.
    Tired ol' engine bay

I called CAA for a tow, while people would stop and make sure I was O.K. every once in a while. Checked out the damage on the car, and it was pretty bad. Bent control arm, front wheel with an extreme positive camber, tires flat, headlights cracked, damage to the left side of the body. Called Mike with the bad news, and he was surprisingly very cool about the whole situation. An ambulance and another car following it happened to drive by and stopped. There was a huge language barrier (my lack of French, and their lack of English). The ambulance called the police, while the man who was driving the car told me to get in his car to stay warm, and offered to drive me to the next service station. I told him it was alright, and I stayed with the Cima until the tow and the cops arrived. 2 hours later I found myself back in the town I started in. Called my friend to pick me up from the impound lot, and went back to my room with my spirits (and my wallet) crushed.
    Last edited by louis110; 02-14-2017, 01:08 AM.

*teardrop* love this story...

excellent write up, one thing I've learned in my life: when ever you try to do anything thats not mainstream normal (I.E. acquire ownership of a skyline) you're gonna run into AT LEAST a few problems along the way... the only thing that seperates success from failure is perserverance... so with that in mind, i wish you all the best in the future and i hope from this point on you're ownership goes MUCH smoother.\

welcome to the skyline community. and what a mint looking car you've got there.

if i may make a few suggestions as to first maintence (what most of us do with a newly landed skyline)

1) compression test - do it, do it and do it, if the #'s are weak, it'll change you're future game plan.. so do this first. you wanna see #'s all above 150 or so, with no more than 10% deviation.
    2) if it hasnt been done yet, do the 100,000 km maintenance package, even though the ODO might show less than 100,000km its SUPER rare to find a skyline that has less than that...so we assume none of them do. we do the following:
    - new timing belt,
    - new idler, tensioner, bolts and springs too
    - replace water pump (oem or N1 only $20 difference usually between the 2, ur choice)
    3) suspension wise: check if u need to replace any ball joints, tables, control arms or ties rods, 95% of us had to change ours, its not that expensive but worth doing.
    4) lock out your hicas mechanically and electrically... its a stupid system anyways
    5) change every fluid in the car. front diff, rear diff, tranny, transfercase, engine oil, and coolant.
    6) brake service, if its good then its good.. if not get what you need: pads, rotors (brembo blank rotors are the best imo) hawk HPS for street and HP+ for track (pads) use brake fluid RBF660 (high temp) flush and bleed brake system. chances are its the original brake fluid.

as for power, if you're mostly stock, a good amount of power can be had with just these simple basic mods
    - intakes and filters, intercooler hard piping, (oem intercooler is good for 600 hp) just rubber piping is crap
    - full exhaust like 3.5" back + a good downpipe
    - get a boost controller and dial in one bar of boost (mostly safe)
    - hit the dyno and get it tuned for 91 octane canadian fuel at 1 bar of boost, you should see like 350 WHP with that set up no problem.

keep us updated with pics and have a look through some other GTR builds to see what others have done and where you can save some money etc...
    The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

Loved the story as well! I cant wait to hear and see more updates on this beautiful car. When I first seen this car I thought of this...

One of my inspirations

Congrats on your new baby! Be safe and enjoy her!
      Heart rate 160, I'm goin 260, RB26 run me past you in a jiffy

GT-R

O O SKYLINE O O

Comment

Originally posted by louis110 View Post

The Inspiration
        This car looks almost stock... Nice looking wheels and front lip though, what's all done to it? Any more pictures? Not bad looking though.
        Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
        Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
        Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
        Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
        Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
        White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
        lol

Comment

The next couple of weeks I dealt with the headache of estimations, dealing with the impound lot, two different insurance companies, two different cities in two different provinces, etc. The dealership's insurance has taken care of it, but it's not fully finalized yet.

So here I sit in Quebec, with no vehicle, unable to pick up my GTR which was just sitting at the dealership. So yesterday my parents went to RightDrive and my dad picked up the car for me to take home! He doesn't know much about cars, and hasn't driven manual in decades, so of course I was a little worried. He took 10 minutes to learn the car and drove it home with a little difficulty. They gassed up the car, washed it, and bought a car cover. I would have loved to see people's reactions seeing an old man drive a young guy's car haha! Thanks mom and dad!

Sitting pretty next to my parents' C-Rolla

The car will be a daily driver, and unfortunately I'm going to be driving it for this first winter because I don't have money for a second car right now. I know some of you are cringing right now, but it's Krown rust-proofed, and it's going to get weekly washes. As far as future mods go, there's going to be an emphasis on suspension and exterior/interior asthetics (going for a classy look that will look good no matter what year it is). I want this car to be reliable above all, so engine mods will be kept very basic.

The Inspiration

So now the car sits at home, awaiting my return, until I can finally take her out for a well deserved cruise

Last edited by louis110; 01-18-2017, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bellis_GTR View Post
            Loved the story as well! I cant wait to hear and see more updates on this beautiful car. When I first seen this car I thought of this...

One of my inspirations

Congrats on your new baby! Be safe and enjoy her!
            That image has been burnt in my head for years. I hope mine is going to be that kickass-clean someday.

Congrats on the ownership Louis, you got a real OEM gem.
            1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Archaeic_bloke: Thanks for those great tips. Some of the work you mentioned has been done by RightDrive, but there are definitely other areas I have to check. The car has a Kakimoto exhaust and HKS filters as far as power mods.

NismoS-tune: http://cornerbalance.wordpress.com/2...4/r32-gtr-asm/ The only othe pic I could find of the car is of the front seats. Not much info about this car.

So I got a nice little surprise today when my, thought to be lost in the mail, shift knob that I ordered from Lathe Werks was ready for me to pick up from the post office.

All I can say is WOW. When I took it out of the box I had a huge grin on my face and the weight of it had me going, "oh ****!!" Forget that titanium nonsense, this thing is the ish. Made of stainless steel, and torched to achieve the colour, this knob weighs 465g (kinda feels like the weight of a hockey puck) and it can probably knock someone out if I threw it at their head. This knob was by no means cheap, but it is definitely worth it. I know it's a little silly to get so excited over a shift knob, but it's really that good!

Threaded for each application, no plastic insert garbage

They have a lot of different designs/styles and can do custom engraving. Here's a thread from NASIOC that shows all the different designs they have: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1484459

Last edited by louis110; 01-18-2017, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Nice! I havent seen one of those before. Have you tried it out yet? How do you like it?

Any pictures of your GTR in the snow?

GT-R

O O SKYLINE O O

Comment

Originally posted by Marus92 View Post
                  That image has been burnt in my head for years. I hope mine is going to be that kickass-clean someday.

Congrats on the ownership Louis, you got a real OEM gem.
                  I'm going for the same look with my soon-to-be R33
                  03 lancer dead
                  68 gmc w/355 cid rice killer
                  05 chevy silverado L33
                  2010 crv Wife's ride
                  1987 Harley Softail custom

Comment

Originally posted by bellis_GTR View Post
                    Nice! I havent seen one of those before. Have you tried it out yet? How do you like it?

Any pictures of your GTR in the snow?
                    I haven't tried it out yet, I'm out of province until Monday so I'll have to wait til then. It's also going to be the first time I'll be able to drive the car since my dad picked it up from the dealership for me. It'll be legen....wait for it...DARY!

I'll try to get one of my photographically inclined friends to do a small winter shoot, but I'll post up some of my own pictures just because you asked haha.

Comment

Very nice, man! Super clean car! I'm sure you'll love it!
                      Originally posted by kengeroo
                      that's what I thought when I opened the package..
                      ...don't drink and ebay
                      '03 Ford Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by louis110 View Post
                        I haven't tried it out yet, I'm out of province until Monday so I'll have to wait til then. It's also going to be the first time I'll be able to drive the car since my dad picked it up from the dealership for me. It'll be legen....wait for it...DARY!

I'll try to get one of my photographically inclined friends to do a small winter shoot, but I'll post up some of my own pictures just because you asked haha.
                        Haha I bet you are very anxious to finally drive her. Been forever since you bought it. For some reason Skylines look really nice in the winter. All white every where makes a Black or Blue ( my car ) stand out a lot. I wish we had some mountains around here to get a nice scenery shot!

Can't wait to see your pictures! Hope you enjoy your first ride!
                        Last edited by bellis_GTR; 12-10-2010, 03:19 AM.

GT-R

O O SKYLINE O O

Comment

Sweet ride,just love the color.Im trying to convince a photgrapher friend of mine to take some pro pics, you should do the same
                          Like someone said "drive like you stole it" its garanteed fun.
                          In the Garage
                          1993 Bnr 32
                          1992 Eg6 B18c6 swapped
                          2010 Ford Focus

Comment

WOOHOO took her out for the first time today. Took it real easy though because I still had the summer slicks on.

Changed the shift knob, and now the shifting position sits a little higher and the boot doesn't meet the bottom of the knob. Not too big of a deal, but I'll fix the shift gaiter when it gets warmer. (If anyone is interested in a similar shift knob, TWM performance, which is a company out of Quebec makes height adjustable weighted shift knobs.)

Drove out to CT to get rubber mats and new windshield wipers. I kid you not, I spent 45 minutes deciding on wipers hahah. I bought the Reflex originally and when I tried to fit it to the car, I discovered that the wiper arm was too wide. Ended up exchanging them with Rain-X wipers and they fit perfectly.

Annnnnd I took a couple of winter shots (just for you bellis_GTR lol) damn near froze my ninnies off. I think they turned out pretty good considering it was a shitty camera and I used the editing tools from Photobucket.

Comment

looks clean and proper bud! Im gonna look into that company TWM.. i've been searching for a new shift knob for a hwile.lol
                              The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

Working...
                              X